You’ll be hearing this quote for a while since it’s part of a press release used in the Comes versus Microsoft case in Iowa. Later today you’ll find my commentary about this lawsuit on PCmag.com. Meanwhile, here is the press release linked here in its entirety.

the Allchin reference is this:

Mr. Allchin says, I’m not sure how the company lost sight of what matters to our customers, both business and home, the most, but in my view we lost our way. I think our teams lost sight of what bug-free means, what resilience means, what full scenarios mean, what security means, what performance means, how important current applications are, and really understanding what the most important problems our customers face are. I see lots of random features and some great vision, but that does not translate into great products. He goes on to say, I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at Microsoft.”

Sounds like ad copy for Apple if you ask me!

These pics cannot be helping

1. pedro says:

This is the mac NOW. macs are in an uncomfortable place because they are today just a simple pc clone, nothing more. This is like a pc with linux, exactly the same thing, same hardware with different os.

macs nowadays are “good” even with bootcamp & xp. In pure essence and at the risk of repeating myself, a plain pc clone. You’re all a shame to macheads of old.

mac people always complained about the pc hardware and now they are pc hardware. The things people do to keep feeling happy about themselves.

Oh, and I need pretty over anything else on a computer, that’ll make my software run so much smoother!!!!! and it will look pretty in the closet I leave my computer in to avoid noise. Such a nice sight.

2. Miguel Correia says:

Hey, Fester Adams is at Nasdaq throwing his tongue out!!

3. Steve says:

“1. She knows how to use a Mac since it is her job”

Really, but she supposedly can’t make hers work? Overall, Macs are very stable, so either she’s completely incompetent or your story is false.

“2. She is fed up with Macs at her job because of many annoying factors and wishes they could switch to Windows PC’s”

Is there any reason why you can’t be specific here? Which “annoying factors” are you referring to? It’s hard to address such vague comments. Specifically, what makes you think there won’t be other “annoying factors” when switching to a PC?

“3. The computer hangs and crashes mostly after playing games (when the cd drive worked)”

So, you’re saying she plays games at work? ;-) If her CD drive is not working, then her stability problems must be solved, right? Really, what you speak of is clearly not a common issue that any other Mac user experiences. While I’m willing to believe she had a CD drive failure. Why not? Again, these are commodity parts that have the same failure rate on PCs and Macs, so this is not a platform issue.

4. She is not a A+ tecnician,

No kidding. (If she even exists). What you have to demonstrate is how this non technical person would fair better in the PC world. The bottom line is if you’re having trouble how to figure out making a Mac work, you’ll only have a more difficult time on the PC side. Macs are widely recognized as being stable, more secure and easier to use than PCs.

“5. since i am a windows user i dont know the os but i think it is osx or os9.2?”

Well, that’s just it. You’re not qualified to speak of issues you know nothing about. You don’t even know the details. You apparently have no real experience with Macs yourself, yet you’re here to make broad generalizations about the Mac platform?? Macs aren’t perfect and there are legitimate reasons to use both PCs and Macs. But, you need to stop preaching about things you don’t understand.

“6. This is the internet and everyone has the ability to read posts etc and take it or leave it.”

Agreed. Feel free to post whatever you want. Just don’t be surprised when people call you on your BS and expose it for what it is. :)

4. Olo Baggins of Bywater says:

At a printer, she’s probably running Quark 4.5 and/or Pagemaker on OS9. In my experience, running those two (ten year old) apps on that OS is like running garbage software on Win 95a…it crashes all the time.

If she’s running OSX, then a bad CD drive can definitely cause OSX to crash, just like a hardware failure will crash 2k/XP. Otherwise OSX and XP crash very rarely. (And IDE CD drive will work…she can get a DVD burner as a replacement for $50)

And FWIW, Adobe apps run like crap on the latest Macs with Rosetta. Crashes, bugs, corruption, you name it.

5. solomonrex says:

I’ve had both, and there’s no reason to buy a PC now that Macs have Intel. They are way better machines. I’ve been too cheap in the past, but now I’m regretting it as XP is flaky and the Gateway laptop is inadequate. It’s only 1.5 years old. Once Mac offers an entry-level laptop, I’m making the leap.

6. pedro says:

#25 that maybe true for over-the-counter pc’s. But I doubt a mac could be better than a custom built pc, hardware wise.

7. GregA says:

OSX sales maxed out earlier this year… They are a little down third and fourth quarter. ‘Switchers’ make up less than 1/2 of one percent of all computer buyers.

Hate to break it to you OS X fans, but this fight is over. Right now there is as much OS X market penetration as you are ever gonna see. In other words, OS X is a little more successful than Linux. And that is apparently where all the switchers came from.

And in bad news for apple, they expected to sell 20 million ipods this quarter, and it looks like they will barely break 16 million. That, on top of the implosion happening at iTunes, and this looks to be a bleak christmas for apple.

As its last hurra, Apple had a good run, but it is over now.

8. Mike says:

#27, Maybe if you keep posting that every six months or so, it will eventually come true. Apple has been doomed for the past eight years, didn’t ya know?

9. Steve says:

GregA,

Just curious, what inspires you to post such misinformation?

“OSX sales maxed out earlier this year… They are a little down third and fourth quarter. “

Unfortunately, there are no facts to support your claim. Just the opposite. http://news.com.com/2100-1047_3-6096116.html

“Hate to break it to you OS X fans, but this fight is over. Right now there is as much OS X market penetration as you are ever gonna see.”

What fight? Who buys a computer to fight? Do Linux users buy Linux to fight Microsoft? Do Mac users buy a Mac to fight Microsoft? Hardly. People buy machines that best fits their needs. The vast majority of PCs are sold to corporations that have very basic needs (e-mail, web, general office productivity, etc.). The average user isn’t doing content creation like video editing, etc. where Macs excel. The average machine sold to corporations isn’t a server where Linux excels. Corporations like PCs because they are generally cheaper (no need for Firewire, iSight, etc.) at the low end and because they have a choice of vendors to purchase from. This does not make PCs a superior platform by any measure.

“OS X is a little more successful than Linux. And that is apparently where all the switchers came from.”

Huh? Yeah, this comment makes sense because there are just so many Linux desktop users…. ;-) Sorry to break it to you, but there are very few Linux switchers. Linux is popular with servers and most Linux desktop installations typically coexist with Windows with rare exceptions.

“And in bad news for apple, they expected to sell 20 million ipods this quarter, and it looks like they will barely break 16 million.”

Just curious, can you provide a source for this 20 million iPod sales number? The forecasts I’ve seen have been closer to 14 million. You might enjoy some reading on the subject.

“Also, they have missed a generation of enhanced phone services, and it looks like their product will be late to a saturated market.”

Great, now you’re speculating on a market that Apple has not even officially entered yet. The portable music player market was considered saturated at the time Apple entered as well. Apple came in with a few cool innovations, clean design and smooth integration and quickly became the dominant player. There is no reason to believe they couldn’t make a similar impact on the phone market if they did it right. Now, speaking of entering a saturated market and not doing it right, take a look at Zune. ;-)

Steve

10. pedro says:

man, I love me some macheads. John must be rolling on his carpet right now reading this rants

11. GregA says:

Steve,

I was going to post a well reasoned reply. However I see that apple stocks fell 3% upon me making my comments on this web site. Since I am apparently a powerful industry insider now, I will reserve additional comment for the time being, and allow the markets to adjust to my newfound power and influence.

Heh, anyone got some stock they want me to pump?