1. theyreallgunalaughatyou says:

I was in the middle of the dust storm living/driving. Been here in Phoenix over a decade. It was a big dust storm but not a bad one. In past years I’ve been in storms so thick you can’t see tail lights one car length ahead of you, storms you can taste and the grit is in your mouth, and dust storms joined with the right amount of rain so you have messy dried mud on everything the next day. This storm was more creepy than bad. Visibility for me driving was about 700ft for structures and 1000 for lights. It was a fine dirt not sandy.

Now, the next afternoon, in my development we have a light coating on everything, one large broken tree and murky pools. No big deal.

The monsoon thunderstorms about to start are worse and they usually don’t do damage. Every spot on the globe has their weird weather. I hate cold and I don’t have to turn the heat on most years. No snow, let alone shoveling. No raking leaves. No cleaning gutters. 7-8 nice months and 4-5 with the AC on. Also, light clothes instead of layers rock, especially on the ladies. I’ll take Phoenix over the Great Lakes every day.

2. Amar says:

PLEASE, We get 3 or 4 of this type storm a year big deal……

3. deowll says:

To each their own. I don’t like temperatures below 0 and I don’t like inhaling dust so I guess I stay here in TN.

4. Animby says:

Home, sweet, home. How I miss Phoenix.

I was visiting a salt-lake oasis in NW Egypt (i.e. the Sahara desert) when a storm like this blew in. The Bedouins gave me a scarf to cover my mouth and nose with and we hunkered down on the lee of our unperturbed camels. Lasted about 45 minutes after which there wasn’t a crevice on my body not filled in in with sand! When I got back to Cairo, I needed new glasses because the sand had pitted my lenses.

God is Good.
    Praise Allah!

5. bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas. says:

Just saw Michael Pollan on Great Conversations talking about how much more complex and “wonderful” organic farming is: it rebuilds and creates more soil as it goes along.

Yes, that right–indoor hydroponics is in all our futures.

6. Animby says:

# 25 bobbo, “Doesn’t this mean “by definition” there is bad or no soil management going on somewhere up wind?”

No, it just means we’ve still got dusty and sandy mountains and deserts in central Arizona. If you want to send more water our way, I’m sure we’d all be happy to make more arable land.

BTW – here in SE Asia, hydroponics are big business.

7. GF says:

The only thing different about this storm other than those in the past is how many people were time lapse recording it this time.