I’m working on the idea of building myself a new computer. Currently using a 5 year old HP laptop running Windows 7 and thinking about Windows 8. But I’m also thinking that I might want to run Windows under VirtualBox under Linux host.

I have another older computer running Linux and installed Windows 8 as a trial in a Virtual Box. I have to say that I’m more impressed with VirtualBox and I am with Windows 8. As far as I can tell Windows 8 is working very well on old hardware, quad core AMD with 8 gigs ram. In fact Windows 8 is still more impressive than Centos 6.5 as a host. As a virtual OS Windows found my network printer and scanner. It even found my Sony TV.

I’m thinking of buying new computer hardware. Thinking AMD 6 or 8 core processor and 32 gigs of ram. Host OS being Centos. Guest being Win8 or maybe Win7 if I can’t get Win8 to be “normal”. I’m thinking Windows as a client so I can back it up by just copying the disk files Virtual Box creates. Under Linux I feel like I have control of the file system in a way that I don’t with Windows. Also – the CryptoDefense virus that a friend got a few months ago has scared me enough to not want Windows to be a host OS. But Linux still doesn’t do a lot of the stuff Windows does and don’t want to spend days just making it talk to my printer and scanner.

It’s not just the lack of a start button. I found an app for that. I want the task bar to stay the same. I want to stop a bunch of apps that want to go full screen to stop doing that. I want the task bar to be the same. I want the Windows 7 experience and hide all the Windows 8 crap.

So my current laptop is big screen and has a 25 inch HDMI TV plugged in as a second monitor. New computer I’m thinking will be home made desk top with 2 24 inch HDMI TVs as monitors.

So – looking for some feedback.

Windows 8 sucks. It’s a computer not a cell phone. Will I ever get Windows 8 to behave like Windows 7? Will I ever be happy with it? Are there any significant advantages to Windows 8 or should I just install 7?

Any video cards that I should know about? What I’m looking for is good video on YouTube. Video now is just a tiny by choppy but running on very old motherboard. I’m hoping that a modern MB will solve that problem. VirtualBox advice appreciated.

Would like general feedback about my idea and if there’s a better idea I should consider.

Thoughts?

1. Comanche says:

Windows 8 is enough to make me switch to Apple and I hate Apple. That’s how much I hate windows 8. I’ll wait a year and see if they replace the turd.

• HUGSaLOT says:

So much hate for windows 8 yet other than metro/tiles screen, no one really explains why they hate it.

People just go on and on chanting “windows 8 sucks” like some mindless meme that people hear and just repeat out of peer pressure, with out actually trying the OS.

Every time M$ releases a new OS people complain about it before they even use it. Which explains why so many people are still using Windows XP.

2. David says:

I have no problems with Win8. I run Win7 and Win8 and frankly the differences are very slim if you spend your time in the desktop. I prefer Win8 to Win7 because:

– I like the way it handles dual screen setups
    – There are a few metro apps that I like
    – The copy operations seem to perform better
    – overall performance seems a bit better

I boot directly to desktop and very rarely need to deal with anything metro related. There are some control panel type operations that are metro, but frankly these are hardly ever used. How many times do you need to adjust users?

I wouldn’t upgrade a Win7 machine to Win8 in most cases. But if I was starting fresh, I’d definitely go Win8.

• bobbo, are we Men of Science, or Devo says:

1. How does Win 8 handle dual screen set ups? I set my dual screen up in Win 7 about 3 years ago in 3 minutes.

2. Which Metro Apps do you like. Are these apps unavailable in win 7?

3. How does a copy operation perform better? Faster maybe but it either copies or it doesn’t? I like using TerraCopy because it has a progress box showing how many files have been transferred and you can add to it during the transfer process. Something win7 doesn’t do. Nice app and its free.

4. Overall performance increase is always nice….. anything more than the above?

Newbies want to know!!!!!!!!!

• David says:

1. For me the key difference in the dual monitors is that you can have a task bar on both screens. None of this is earth shattering, but all helpful. There are some other cosmetic changes:

2. The primary app I like on the Metro side is a security camera program (IPCamera). There are variations for the desktop but they are more complicated. There is also a Google Calendar client I like(1Calendar). I also play some games as well use the Xbox app. Again nothing earth shattering but all nice to have.

3. The copy dialog is changed in Win8. I think it works faster but really it’s hard for me to tell whether its hardware or something else. I can’t really quantify the performance increase– only to say it feels faster.

So none of this is really huge, and not saying it is worth and upgrade. But it’s all useful and I like it. At the same price I go for Win8.

• pedro says:

Too much work to make something usable out of 8. And google calendar over outlook? Please!

Which reminds me, what a crappy “app” MS decided to bundle as a sorry excuse for mail client

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist and junior culture critic says:

Thanks David. when there is very little difference, it will be the little things that make a difference.

Seems to the functionality of the apps your mention are all available on Win 7 too so are you just noting that they are “bundles” with Win 8 or what?

I like my double montior arrangement. One 21 inch horizaontal and one 27 inch in Portrait. Portrait allow basically a display equal to two monitors WITH space at the top and botton for monitoring apps and tool bars.

Totally kuel.

• David says:

Quote:

Answer:

I think the Apps are better than the Win7 solutions I found. So for the cameras I can load up a big program to do it on Win7, but I prefer the simpler solution on Win8. You can use Outlook or the web for Google Calendar but 1Calendar is simpler.

Again, not a reason to upgrade but a nice to have. I just see the differences between Win7 and Win8 as being way overdone. They are nearly the same for desktop users!

• pedro says:

Of course, “apps” are way better than actual programs to perform a task: they are smaller with less functionality and send all your data to MS and/or the app publisher. Win/win

• Tim says:

I already pointed out “”the fucking thing sux , why are you sniffing around for what scent beaver anal gland scent to patch into a late-model microsoft product??

3. HUGSaLOT says:

I’ve been using windows 8 since it’s beta and I’ve had no real issues with it that others always complain about. Also you should consider the free update to 8.1

Sure the metro/tile screen that replaced the Start menu *IS* utter crap and that was the only thing that bothered me, but install Classic Shell and you won’t even notice it anymore (it’s still there if you want it).

4. bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist still in awe of the wonderment of it all says:

I don’t think a mouse can go bad and create a Craigslist. A bad mouse might look like Schrodinger’s Cat walking across my keyboard, but nothing as intentional as what I am getting.

I totally agree with your sentiment and greatly wish for only a bad mouse.

5. bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist still in awe of the wonderment of it all says:

I don’t know how it might affect your assessment but philosophically and in reality any service has an inherent cost with cloud storage being no different. A provider might not “charge” for it by way of a loss leader or as part of an overhead general cost not so identified, or they may be charging some third party that you deal with.

$$. Ain’t no such thing as free…. or no cost.

6. Tim says:

“”Dopey Snowden told everybody to use Truecrypt. Now it’s not secure.

^^ Bias leakage, much?

I don’t believe it has been shown to be ‘not secure’. The message on the sourceforge page is just because the maintainers of the code kind of up and left {it won’t get fixed in the event of a discovered/future vulnerability?}. Some think they’re under a NSL gag.

There is supposed to be an audit of it… I don’t know the details. I feel that it probably IS secure enough that it has pissed off LEO enough to lean on the developers and spread fud about it otherwise… I recommend using a *certified* security product from Microsoft or AoL…

7. 1 More H-8-er of W-8-ing says:

Holly CRAP! What a load of bullshit you’ve been told.

However, I do AGREE that there are a lot of major problems when it comes to high tech and the law (Aero being just an example). But to think that cloud storage is somehow free? Bullshit! You have to ask, why would ANYONE want to give their shit away? There can only be 2 possible reasons. 1.) They don’t want it anymore or 2.) They want to make MONEY with what they “give” you!

That said, cloud storage is a SCAM! But you will see a LOT of highly educated fucking assholes tell you it’s safe and that even if it isn’t safe that no one is really all that interested in your data. I call these kind of SHEEP — ASSHOLES! It’s the exact same line of bullshit the Nazis used with the Jews!!! “Come right this way said the spider to the fly.” Haven’t ANY of you fucktards ever read a FAIRY TALE (other than the Bible)?!

And yes, there is a problem with encryption these days. It’s a problem the NSA has known about for years! And we all know how the government works when it comes to getting shit for free and moving to fix things. Putting 2 and 2 together should the the ONLY skills you need to see where this is headed…

You want “freedom”? Here’s my best suggestion — TURN IT FUCKING OFF!!! But since most people won’t do that, I can only suggest EDUCATION and then maybe consider getting AWAY from those CORPORATE PRODUCTS! Get away from BANKS and MICROSOFT/APPLE!!! Try using a CREDIT UNION for your money and learning to use Linux would be just TWO EXAMPLES of things YOU LAZY SHEEP might want to THINK about. Something tells me you won’t do it though.

8. Tim says:

addendum

But the entities most likely to be most hamstrung by everybody encrypting everything would be just about every corporation ever that thinks you need to be thoughly datamined and commoditized to every other corporation. Shit. Buisness models like Yahoo! and Gmail depend on being able to read your email, after all.

I’m sure there is lots of goings on to ‘dissuade’ individuals from using any encryption that isn’t simply a standardized, consumer-goods level placebo.

9. pedro says:

I will resume with a meme containing this generation’s moto why all these scams like “cloud computing” are successful and widely adopted:

10. ± says:

You’ve responded to the spam more than Tim has. Are you spam too?

Maybe I’m even more intelligent spam than you and Tim (as so forth) and this blog is just bots spamming each other.

11. bobbo, are we Men of Science, or Devo says:

Fair comment PM…. Its my own pet peeve the conflation of cost with charges. We see it all the time and it causes all kinds of confusion/harm.

I posted really just for me.

………..but I’m posting also for anyone who reads the forum==more than for toysfor tots who frankly should be warned about anal sludge and then blocked to see if he is educable.

Probably not…… are we not all adults fully formed with all ideas in place against all rationality???

I think so.