I’m working on the idea of building myself a new computer. Currently using a 5 year old HP laptop running Windows 7 and thinking about Windows 8. But I’m also thinking that I might want to run Windows under VirtualBox under Linux host.

I have another older computer running Linux and installed Windows 8 as a trial in a Virtual Box. I have to say that I’m more impressed with VirtualBox and I am with Windows 8. As far as I can tell Windows 8 is working very well on old hardware, quad core AMD with 8 gigs ram. In fact Windows 8 is still more impressive than Centos 6.5 as a host. As a virtual OS Windows found my network printer and scanner. It even found my Sony TV.

I’m thinking of buying new computer hardware. Thinking AMD 6 or 8 core processor and 32 gigs of ram. Host OS being Centos. Guest being Win8 or maybe Win7 if I can’t get Win8 to be “normal”. I’m thinking Windows as a client so I can back it up by just copying the disk files Virtual Box creates. Under Linux I feel like I have control of the file system in a way that I don’t with Windows. Also – the CryptoDefense virus that a friend got a few months ago has scared me enough to not want Windows to be a host OS. But Linux still doesn’t do a lot of the stuff Windows does and don’t want to spend days just making it talk to my printer and scanner.

It’s not just the lack of a start button. I found an app for that. I want the task bar to stay the same. I want to stop a bunch of apps that want to go full screen to stop doing that. I want the task bar to be the same. I want the Windows 7 experience and hide all the Windows 8 crap.

So my current laptop is big screen and has a 25 inch HDMI TV plugged in as a second monitor. New computer I’m thinking will be home made desk top with 2 24 inch HDMI TVs as monitors.

So – looking for some feedback.

Windows 8 sucks. It’s a computer not a cell phone. Will I ever get Windows 8 to behave like Windows 7? Will I ever be happy with it? Are there any significant advantages to Windows 8 or should I just install 7?

Any video cards that I should know about? What I’m looking for is good video on YouTube. Video now is just a tiny by choppy but running on very old motherboard. I’m hoping that a modern MB will solve that problem. VirtualBox advice appreciated.

Would like general feedback about my idea and if there’s a better idea I should consider.

Thoughts?

1. toys4thoughts says:

Zombie Computing
    Panic like it’s 1999: MS Office macro viruses are BACK http://theregister.co.uk/2014/07/08/macro_viruses_return_from_the_dead/

2. toys4thoughts says:

BUSTED SOCIETY!
    A computer science student accused of hacking offences has been jailed for six months for failing to hand over his encryption passwords, which he had been urged to do in “the interests of national security”.
    No keys needed if…Shamir’s Law: Crypto is bypassed, not penetrated
    Cryptography is usually bypassed. I am not aware of any major world-class security system employing cryptography in which the hackers penetrated the system by actually going through the cryptanalysis […] usually there are much simpler ways of penetrating the security system—Adi Shamir…you know the way around.

3. toys4thoughts says:

Crypto Won’t Save You (ctd)
    Windows RT UEFI
    •Exploit privilege escalation vulnerability in the RT kernel to bypass signing
    Windows 8 UEFI
    •Patch SPI flash memory holding UEFI firmware to skip the signature-check
    •Clear flags in system NVRAM to disable signature checks

Crypto Won’t Save You (ctd)
    CCC 2011 Badge
    •Used Corrected Block TEA/XXTEA block cipher with 128-bit key
    •Various exploits that all bypassed the need to deal with XXTEA
    •Eventually, loaded custom code to extract the 128-bit key
    It’s probably at least some sort of sign of the end times when your conference badge has a rootkit

Gutmann slides. If Crypto won’t save you, it will jail you?

Jailbreakers are rediscovering 15-20 year old smart card attacks
    I never met a smart-card I couldn’t glitch—European smart card hacker

Maybe the card wasn’t as smart as first thought?

4. toys4thoughts says:

Some Metrics…
    How unnecessary is it to attack the crypto?
    Geer’s Law:
    Any security technology whose effectiveness can’t be empirically determined is indistinguishable from blind luck—Dan Geer

They are building a case and all you have is what you have right now. People “labor along in the old customary way, as presidents of insurance companies.” Mark Twain is haunting us.

5. toys4thoughts says:

Some Metrics… (ctd)
    There were so many other ways to render DKIM ineffective that no-one bothered attacking the crypto
    •Anyone with a bit of technical knowledge could have broken the crypto
    •No-one did because it was so easy to bypass that it wasn’t worth attacking
    –“Crypto is bypassed, …”

Supposedly this British crypto has the court baffled. They appear to have lots of legal knowledge, not too much technical. The jails are filling because the crypto can’t be broken. Take the bypass and get your files or theirs. Bake a file in the cake to jailbreak them.

6. toys4thoughts says:

National Security Letters
    The legalised form of rubber-hose cryptanalysis
    •Requirement to hand over data, or else
    •Built-in gag order to prevent you talking about it
    –Details of both vary depending on court challenges to their constitutionality

God save The Queen because these bloody hackers have this new unbreakable code.

“Somebody knocked Weller’s bust down from its shelf at the Fair, the other night, and destroyed it. It was wrong to do it, but it gave rise to a very able pun by a young person who has had much experience in such things, and was only indifferently proud of it. He said it was Weller enough when it was a bust, but just the reverse when it was busted. Explanation: He meant that it looked like Weller in the first place, but it did not after it was smashed to pieces. He also meant that it was well enough to leave it alone and not destroy it. The Author of this fine joke is among us yet, and I can bring him around if you would like to look at him. One would expect him to be haughty and ostentatious, but you would be surprised to see how simple and unpretending he is and how willing to take a drink.” http://twainquotes.com/Calif/18641001.html
    It was to be destroyed after it burned and they just wouldn’t leave it alone. Now they are busted. Burger King rules!

7. toys4thoughts says:

“Anything that involves diamond

We’ve seen two ways to use diamond in microwave technology both of which are potential career killers. The first is as a wide bandgap semiconductors. But diamond doesn’t offer a whole lot higher performance than silicon carbide, which is cheaper by a factor of Avogadro’s Number.

The second microwave application that diamond might be bandied about is as a low-cost heat sink. Hey, diamonds are called “ice” for a reason, this crystal has staggeringly high thermal conductivity. But when deposited as an amorphous film, the reduced thermal conductivity is not that much better some cheap metals.

Last, any industrial application of diamond will remind the public that diamond is just carbon, and should be cheap. Then you will have to deal with the DeBeers family, which wants us all to pretend that diamonds are worth multiple paychecks per carat. Some South Afrikaner with a crooked nose might come and break your knuckles for messing with diamond’s artificially high price. Yikes!” http://microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/career-killers.cfm

We can pretend these plastic disks are worth their weight in gold and worship the golden calf. If we mess with the artificially high price, some stoner from Washington with a crooked deal might come and break your balls. With no product to offer you are the product. Likes!

8. toys4thoughts says:

Intelligence services tapped phones of 17 news agency journalists in #Lithuania http://bit.ly/1r3TOUF

“It was a bitter disappointment. There was nothing in sight but an ordinary counter, and behind it a long row of bottles with Old Bourbon, and Old Rye, and Old Tom, and the old, old story of man’s falter and woman’s fall, in them. Nothing in the world to be seen but these things. We staid there an hour and a half, and took observations from different points of view, but the general result was the same – nothing but bottles and a bar. They keep a field-glass there, for the accommodation of those who wish to see the sights, and we looked at the bottles through that, but it did not help the matter any to speak of; we turned it end for end, but instead of increasing the view it diminished it. If it had not been fashionable, I would not have engaged in this trivial amusement; I say trivial, because, notwithstanding they said everybody used the glass, I still consider it trivial amusement, and very undignified, to sit staring at a row of gin bottles through an opera-glass. ”
    Concerning The Answer To That Conundrum
    Use windows 98 and drink more gin and use the opera browser!

9. toys4thoughts says:

“Now I thought that conundrum would have done honor to the finest mind among us, and I think it especially good for an invalid from Pennsylvania. How does it strike you? It is circumscribed in its action, though, and is applicable only to men; you could not say “Because it is the king fish, madam,” without marring the effect of the joke by rendering the point in a manner obscure.

Some friends of mine of great powers and high intellectual culture, and who naturally take an interest in conundrums, besought me to procure the answer to that one about Napoleon and the Sanitary cheese, and publish it. I have written to the Author of it, and he informs me that he and his mother, who is a woman of extraordinary sagacity and a profound thinker, are cyphering at it night and day, and they confidently expect to have the answer ready in time for your next week’s issue. From what I can understand, they are making very encouraging progress; they have already found out why Napoleon was like the cheese, but thus far they have not been able to ascertain in what respect the cheese resembles Napoleon.” http://twainquotes.com/Calif/18641008.html

As an Irish cracker with enough ribbons and shiney metal you can conquer the world. The problem is feeding it though.

Greetings from the land of Burger King and Dairy Queen! How’s that?

BULLRUN Again…
    “covertly influence and/or overtly leverage commercial products’ designs”
    “design changes make the systems in question exploitable”
    “to the consumer, however, the systems’ security remains intact”

NIST ECC Curves
    ECC isn’t so much an algorithm as a set of toothpicks and a tube of glue
    •All the bells, whistles, and gongs you’ll ever need

People are pouring into the USA for the generous social programs. It ain’t for the security.

10. toys4thoughts says:

MY RANCH
    I HAVE a ranch of quite unknown extent,
    Its turnips great, its oats without compare;
    And all the ranches other men may rent
    And not like mine – so not a dern* I care

‘Tis all my own – no turnstile power may rise
    To keep me outward from its rich domain;
    It hath a fence that time itself defies,
    And all invaders must climb out again.

With all the new people in the area more watches are going to turn up missing and we need to fund the crime wave. With the zombie computer, will we need thumb drives if we don’t have thumbs?

[Here the machine "let down."] MARK TWAIN.

11. pedro says:

Is that it toys4thoughts? I thought you were going to expand a bit on the subject. How disappointing.

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

10 irrelevant posts in a row, medium length.

I blame Obama.

• pedro says:

Funny, you just called toys4thoughts black

• bobbo, are we Men of Science, or Devo says:

Well, that is funny as I was thinking of Eideard.

Too many tangents to cross.

12. NewFormatSux says:

Bill Gates need to stop worrying about too many black and brown babies, and get Windows back to being useful.

Instead of developing a 16 year birth control pill, how about another OS that can be used for 16 years?

13. Chris says:

Good plan, did something similar recently. I actually build a new rig every year, only passion I have left (don’t drink, don’t smoke and can’t go out anymore – I have pudendal neuralgia). The two last ones are built around a Corsair Obsidian 750 and H100i cooler. Running an overclocked 4770K and all cores idle around 24/25Celcius. If you’d want to go with Intel, you’d now better off with the 4790K, best price/performance ratio but I have no complains about my FX-9370 setup.

Grab either a GTX 770 or a R9-290x with 4GB of DDR5, you’ll have no issues running two displays. I don’t care about benchmarks results but the Intel/Nvidia setup would be a bit more expensive but cooler and quieter while being slightly faster, in everyday use.

14. Comanche says:

Windows 8 is enough to make me switch to Apple and I hate Apple. That’s how much I hate windows 8. I’ll wait a year and see if they replace the turd.

• HUGSaLOT says:

So much hate for windows 8 yet other than metro/tiles screen, no one really explains why they hate it.

People just go on and on chanting “windows 8 sucks” like some mindless meme that people hear and just repeat out of peer pressure, with out actually trying the OS.

Every time M$ releases a new OS people complain about it before they even use it. Which explains why so many people are still using Windows XP.

15. David says:

I have no problems with Win8. I run Win7 and Win8 and frankly the differences are very slim if you spend your time in the desktop. I prefer Win8 to Win7 because:

- I like the way it handles dual screen setups
    - There are a few metro apps that I like
    - The copy operations seem to perform better
    - overall performance seems a bit better

I boot directly to desktop and very rarely need to deal with anything metro related. There are some control panel type operations that are metro, but frankly these are hardly ever used. How many times do you need to adjust users?

I wouldn’t upgrade a Win7 machine to Win8 in most cases. But if I was starting fresh, I’d definitely go Win8.

• bobbo, are we Men of Science, or Devo says:

1. How does Win 8 handle dual screen set ups? I set my dual screen up in Win 7 about 3 years ago in 3 minutes.

2. Which Metro Apps do you like. Are these apps unavailable in win 7?

3. How does a copy operation perform better? Faster maybe but it either copies or it doesn’t? I like using TerraCopy because it has a progress box showing how many files have been transferred and you can add to it during the transfer process. Something win7 doesn’t do. Nice app and its free.

4. Overall performance increase is always nice….. anything more than the above?

Newbies want to know!!!!!!!!!

• David says:

1. For me the key difference in the dual monitors is that you can have a task bar on both screens. None of this is earth shattering, but all helpful. There are some other cosmetic changes:

2. The primary app I like on the Metro side is a security camera program (IPCamera). There are variations for the desktop but they are more complicated. There is also a Google Calendar client I like(1Calendar). I also play some games as well use the Xbox app. Again nothing earth shattering but all nice to have.

3. The copy dialog is changed in Win8. I think it works faster but really it’s hard for me to tell whether its hardware or something else. I can’t really quantify the performance increase– only to say it feels faster.

So none of this is really huge, and not saying it is worth and upgrade. But it’s all useful and I like it. At the same price I go for Win8.

• pedro says:

Too much work to make something usable out of 8. And google calendar over outlook? Please!

Which reminds me, what a crappy “app” MS decided to bundle as a sorry excuse for mail client

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist and junior culture critic says:

Thanks David. when there is very little difference, it will be the little things that make a difference.

Seems to the functionality of the apps your mention are all available on Win 7 too so are you just noting that they are “bundles” with Win 8 or what?

I like my double montior arrangement. One 21 inch horizaontal and one 27 inch in Portrait. Portrait allow basically a display equal to two monitors WITH space at the top and botton for monitoring apps and tool bars.

Totally kuel.

• David says:

Quote:

Answer:

I think the Apps are better than the Win7 solutions I found. So for the cameras I can load up a big program to do it on Win7, but I prefer the simpler solution on Win8. You can use Outlook or the web for Google Calendar but 1Calendar is simpler.

Again, not a reason to upgrade but a nice to have. I just see the differences between Win7 and Win8 as being way overdone. They are nearly the same for desktop users!

• pedro says:

Of course, “apps” are way better than actual programs to perform a task: they are smaller with less functionality and send all your data to MS and/or the app publisher. Win/win

• Tim says:

I already pointed out “”the fucking thing sux , why are you sniffing around for what scent beaver anal gland scent to patch into a late-model microsoft product??

16. HUGSaLOT says:

I’ve been using windows 8 since it’s beta and I’ve had no real issues with it that others always complain about. Also you should consider the free update to 8.1

Sure the metro/tile screen that replaced the Start menu *IS* utter crap and that was the only thing that bothered me, but install Classic Shell and you won’t even notice it anymore (it’s still there if you want it).