Give yourself a pat on the back: you’ve been selected as Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” — along with everyone else who uses the internet.

For the 2006 version of the renowned annual list, the publication decided not to choose a single person, instead crowning all internet users.

The issue hits newsstands on Monday. It carries a cover showing a white keyboard with a mirror for a computer screen, so readers can see their own reflections.

“It’s about the many wresting power from the few,” wrote Lev Grossman, Time’s technology writer.

Grossman also pointed out that blogs are “often more immediate and authentic than traditional media.”

Are you blushing? This award and $1.80 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

1. Jägermeister says:

Great… we’ll all share this “honor” with previous winners, like

Adolf Hitler
    Joseph Stalin
    Richard Nixon
    Ayatollah Khomeini
    George W. Bush

Stand proud! Time is on your side. ;)

2. Does that include all online spammers, trojan/virus writers, myspace paedophiles, phishers, scammers and other nasties?

Hrm, yay.

I see Time’s point, to a degree, but uhhhh, no thanks.

3. This is worse than when they made the “computer” the person of the year. So I guess they couldn’t find ONE important person. Cripes — a gimmick.

4. ryan says:

congratulations John C. Dvorak, Time’s Person of the Year!

and congratulations to myself as well

5. The Tea Man says:

What a patronizing award. Have the Time Magazine staff all had a lobotomy?

“You control the information age”. What data are we left with after we’ve been turned away from data harvesting operations like the NSA, credit card companies, etc.

I agree with Richard Swinburne – it’s mindless to exclude the nasties.

6. Esteban says:

Lame!

7. pedro says:

John & others, where you able to see who were winning the Time online poll about the person of the year? I did

Do you rather have had one of those excrements as man of the year? would you all had been happier that way, following the trend remembered by #1?

I rather read it as “lame” as you put it it is now, than having up what the hungry ignorants wanted up there.

The whole world is so wrong that is the so called “democracies” that are cropping up lately. If they were an ill patient, it would have died by now (which, btw, is what is happening really). Patients cannot cure or be envolved in the diagnosys/treatment of themselves because they’re doomed if they did. Even physicians with emotional involvement with the patient cannot be the lead caretaker of an ill patient.

In the same fashion, those without proper knowledge cannot be involved directly in how are they going to get out of that problem, they need help in this regard. Not to mention the fact that the guys getting power in newer and “revolutionary” democracies don’t even hold or barely hold a highschool diploma & no real professional experience.

Nothing is more controlable than a bunch of hungry, ignorant & lazy individuals!!!!

8. MaxPower says:

Time is getting lamer and lamer… And more irrelevent by the year…

9. ChrisMac says:

The idea was good enough to make it onto this blog…

Now..

who wants to fight over the trophy

10. Dan says:

I would like to thank every one who made this possible. It’s about time (no pun intended) recognized me for my contributions to society.

11. shane says:

Look…they use a MAC as the computer.

Nice.

12. tallwookie says:

What!! people still read Time magazine? lol useless publication

13. Jägermeister says:

#11

It looks like whitened standard PC keyboard and a YouTube looking interface as the “screen”.

14. Awake says:

Yay for me. Bow to my greatness.
    I was wondering why there are so many reporters in front of my house.

15. TJGeezer says:

Too bad they decided on this before news came out about the magnetic mirror fusion concept (http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=8665) – clearly, this blog’s Mr. Fusion should not have had to share the award with the rest of us.

16. Rhea says:

So, it really is all about me. I mean, us.

17. James Hill says:

I see this move as a cop-out… as their “true” #1 is in the second spot: : Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

18. Mr. Fusion says:

#9 & 15

I’ll take the trophy from 9:00 to 9:10, AM on Friday, January 12, 2007.

19. Steve says:

The keyboard is def’ly mac or mac-like, it looks just like the one I’m using, but I can’t find a detailed enough pic on the internet to see if it has an “Apple” key to the left of the space bar.

The “screen” is stylized video window, but the curved aluminum base is clearly from an apple monitor

[edited: pls use tinyurl]

20. Jägermeister says:

#19

I stand corrected.

21. Mark T. says:

Sounds like the old codgers at Time, a dynosaur of the old print media, are finally realizing that the internet revolution is making them obsolete.

Is this their way of trying to woo back the internet generation by playing to our vanity? If it is, they are doomed. We don’t need Time to tell us the what is “the news” anymore. The public now can determine for themselves what is important and voice their opinions on it directly. We no longer need some old men in a New York high rise to judge what we should be told or then what to think about it. They have lost all their power and clout.

Long live the blogs!

22. pedro says:

#17 you got it! and the fact that it didn’t get #1 on their polls forced them to change the front page to this silly “You” thing. It would have collided with their wished outcome.

The one that got their #1 spot on the poll is actually not supposed to be above the guy you mentioned. But he does not understand it and thinks he can be in the same league. Let’s see when he gets the wake-up call. I don’t think it’s going to be too soon because all the others need the money & the support from him.

23. Pfkad says:

Oh boy! This is going to look great on my resume!

24. You won? You’re average at best and everyone knows it! Only a bunch of slackers would pick you!

25. Alex says:

Finally someone realizes how important I am.

26. Tom 2 says: