The first cell phone.

Drivers who use mobile phones face jail

Motorists caught using a hand-held mobile phone while driving could be jailed for two years under tough new guidelines issued today by prosecutors. Drivers who adjust sat-navs, tinker with MP3 music players such as iPods or send text messages at the wheel could also face prison sentences. Using a hand-held mobile while driving was outlawed in 2003, but it is estimated that half a million motorists flout the ban each day. Existing guidelines restricted prosecutors to pursuing only a charge of careless driving, for which the maximum fine is £5,000 along with up to nine points on a motorist’s licence. But under the new rules, drivers could be charged with dangerous driving, which carries a maximum sentence of two years in jail. In addition, drivers who kill while using mobile phones could be charged with causing death by dangerous driving, which carries a 14-year jail term. In extreme cases they could be charged with manslaughter for which a life term can be imposed.

This may be a Nanny State law, and a little harsh, but I agree with the basic concept.

1. Raff says:

Can I still use my C.B.?

2. doug says:

yeah, this is not a nanny-state law, since it is for the protection of OTHERS from the recklessness of the cell-phone yappers. try crossing a street with one of them careening through the stop sign.

shut up and drive, you morans.

#13. and when the paramedics come to the scene of the accident and find out that the guy who went through the windshield was not wearing a seatbelt, they should just leave his broken libertarian self sprawled across the hood to die. no reason the taxpayer should pay to save them from the consequences of their own folly.

3. Mazinger says:

As long as you’re riding in my car, you have to wear a seatbelt. I don’t need any human missiles flying around in the event of an accident.

4. Glenn E. says:

Just the other day, I narrowly avoided having an accident. When an SUV driver blew thru a four way stop, without noticing the stop signs. It’s only been a four way intersection for about 10 years now. I didn’t see who was driving, or what was distracting them. But I can safely bet they were on a cellphone. Fortunately, I had given another driver, on my right, the go ahead to go first. And just as he cleared the intersection, I start to accelerate. And the SUV, coming from my left, flew past my front bumper. I managed to break hard enough to not even touch him (or her). The SUV then breaked, after passing thru the intersection. But by then, I was on my way again, past them. The SUV’s driver was probably concerned about their rear quarter paint job. And thinking, “Why do they hid these stop signs so they’re so hard to see at night” and “better hang up for now.”

5. Glenn E. says:

It isn’t just cellphones. Having a group of noisey friends in one’s car, all talking at once, can also be very distracting. I know, I had the experience of missing a stop sign on a lonely country road, out in the sticks. I had to be a bit unpopular and tell the others to shut the hell up while I was trying to drive them somewhere safely.

That was many years ago, when they only had 8-track tape player. A few years later, I heard of someone crashing their car because their car’s player ate their favorite tape. They got distracted by the thin ribbon of tape shooting out of the slot, or the thing suddenly playing faster. The tape transport technology was pretty crude at the time.

One just has to ask oneself, Is anything they’re talking about or listening to, worth their life, or the life of someone else? To realize it most likely isn’t. And restrict these activities to parking lots, not while actively driving. I don’t even like working my car’s dashboard controls, for long, for fear of missing something. I wouldn’t have (or use) one of those LCD trip navigation systems. You won’t find many professional / commercial drivers using them, either.

6. RockOn says:

#25
    “heard of someone crashing their car because their car’s player ate their favorite tape”

My 8-track was a dangerous distraction too, you had to wedge a book of matches “just so” under the tape to get it to play right! :-)

7. McCullough says:

#26. I too remember that, good times.

8. pedro says:

Now it’s time for those who had 45′ record players on their cars to show up

9. Joshua says:

#28…Pedro….Funny you should mention those…..my Dad told me he had one in his car….around 1965 or so I believe.

Anyone arrested for this crime need not worry, since serial murder with rape included of 6 y/o girls will only get you 12 year’s top’s in the UK. Not only do they NOT have the death penalty, but they don’t believe in life without parole, hell, they don’t believe in 15 years without parole.

I was out for my morning run about 3 week’s ago. I got to the corner, and waited for the Walk sign to come on then headed across the cross walk, when a guy grabbed me from behind…..some well dressed 20 something, blonde bitch in a big black SUV was making a left turn onto the 4 lane street I was crossing, with a cellphone to her LEFT ear, blocking her view of who was in the cross walk and she was heading right for me. I buy that guy a six pack everytime I see him now, he f**king saved my life.