For the first time in 18 years, the Pentagon granted the news media access on Sunday night to cover the arrival of a coffin to Dover Air Force Base from overseas.

The coffin, draped in a flag and bearing the body of Air Force Staff Sgt. Phillip Myers of Hopewell, Va, was unloaded from a government aircraft by the military honor guard. Sergeant Myers, 30, was killed by an improvised explosive device near Helmand Province in Afghanistan on April 4, according to the Defense Department.

A ban on news coverage of returning war dead, which had been in place since the Persian Gulf War in 1991, was lifted by the Obama administration following a review of the policy by Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

In the hours leading up to the transfer of Sergeant Myers’s corpse, Air Force officials received the consent of his family members — per the new policy — to grant members of the news media permission to be on hand.

Welcome home, Sergeant Myers.

1. James Hill - The Man That Owns This Blog says:

Another failed liberal attempt to exploit the dead. Just because the left is getting owned at every turn is no reason to get pissy.

2. Andrew says:

I think Mr. Fusion is being misunderstood. He wants the names and faces of fallen veterans of war to be decorated and shared in honor of the great sacrifice that was made. Deservedly so.

What he seems to not care for is watching the funeral as if it is a reality tv show. It’s my understanding that he views the funeral as sacred to family and friends and that the media doesn’t really need a place there.

If I misunderstood at all, I apologize, but that’s what I got out of what he said.

3. deowll says:

“Welcome home, Sergeant Myers.”

May you rest in piece.

4. the flammer says:

The only reason I would watch this is to wait and see if anyone drops a casket down the steps. That and some Benny Hill music is Youtube GOLD.

5. cow-patty furniture says:

#15, keano,

I’ve shot many a wedding in churches. It is common not to use flash or lights. While wandering photographers are tolerated, they should be as inconspicuous as possible.

I would expect a funeral to be even more reserved.

6. Mr. Fusion says:

#22, Andrew,

I hadn’t thought about it like that but yes, I do feel that way.

I am thinking along the lines of a young widow seeing her husband’s name splashed across the TV screen with the narrator telling us how he died as the coffin is offloaded. It doesn’t matter if one soldier is shown coming off the airplane while the other six aren’t. They were all heroes.Should we all learn that he was blown up by an improvised bomb?

When we see a flag draped coffin, the name belongs to every fallen soldier.I would prefer to leave it there.

7. cwitzel says:

I cried when I saw this. I haven’t cried since my grandmother passed.

18 years, wow! 18 years of seeing, on TV, “10 deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan today now to Bob with the weather”, but nothing to make it real. Nothing to make you see the sacrifice these men and women have made for us.

God, I am still crying. I hope these politicians are doing the right thing. (Regardless of party.)

I have been around the world and I know that we live in the most amazing country in the world. We have the finest military, with volunteers that choose to represent us in our wars no matter where there are. They are willing to give us the ultimate sacrifice and finally we can see their return. This is critical if we are to understand what they have done for us.

I can only hope that these politicians know what they are doing. After the last weeks news of new laws, lashings etc, if it was me, as emotional as I am right now, I might have a solution for all our newly surplus nuclear weapons. Barbarians. No way to change that.

8. James Hill - Dvorak.org All Time Leader says:

#26 – Don’t lose your mojo, idiot. You’ve been getting owned for years, and you’re getting soft over a coffin?

Fail.

9. web says:

Nothing but political ammo.

And lets not forget the living. It means a lot. Unfortunately, I remember some lovely homecomings during “Nam”.