Pres. Obama

It’s not my fault!

“That wasn’t me,” President Barack Obama said on his 100th day in office, disclaiming responsibility for the huge budget deficit waiting for him on Day One.

It actually was partly him _ and the other Democrats controlling Congress the previous two years _ who shaped the latest in a string of precipitously out-of-balance budgets.

And as a presidential candidate and president-elect, he backed the twilight Bush-era stimulus plan that made the deficit deeper, all before he took over and promoted spending plans that have made it much deeper still.

A look at some of his claims Wednesday:

OBAMA: “We began by passing a Recovery Act that has already saved or created over 150,000 jobs.” _ from news conference.

THE FACTS: This assertion is flawed on several levels. For starters, the U.S. has lost more than 1.2 million jobs since Obama took office, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Even if Obama’s stimulus bill saved or created as many jobs as he says, that number is dwarfed by the number of recent job losses.

OBAMA: “Number one, we inherited a $1.3 trillion deficit. … That wasn’t me. Number two, there is almost uniform consensus among economists that in the middle of the biggest crisis, financial crisis, since the Great Depression, we had to take extraordinary steps. So you’ve got a lot of Republican economists who agree that we had to do a stimulus package and we had to do something about the banks. Those are one-time charges, and they’re big, and they’ll make our deficits go up over the next two years.” — in Missouri.

THE FACTS: Congress, under Democratic control in 2007 and 2008, controlled the purse strings that led to the deficit Obama inherited. A Republican president, George W. Bush, had a role, too: He signed the legislation.

Obama supported the emergency bailout package in Bush’s final months — a package Democratic leaders wanted to make bigger.

Typical political spin.

More information here.

1. pedro says:

So, no civilians were killed in the action. I mean, I’m not saying that the attacks weren’t justified. But to make a claim that no innocent civilian was killed is waaaaaaaaay silly.

2. Paddy-O says:

# 89 Misanthropic Scott said, “All’s fair in love and war” is, as Heinlein noted, a contemptible lie.”

What is really interesting is that at the beginning of WW2, Germany & the UK were very careful to avoid bombing civilian targets. There is an interesting story about how that changed…

3. #92 – pedro,

The question in my mind is not about whether we had collateral damage, though an entire city may be unprecedented. The question in my mind is whether we deliberately targeted the civilians.

In this case, I’d say yes.

That’s what I find unconscionable.

If bobbo is correct, and I think he is, that we wanted a good scientific study of the damage, I don’t think that is worth human lives. Perhaps we could have gotten the info some other way. Perhaps we just didn’t need it that badly.

4. Sorry, I meant Paddy in my prior reply.

5. Paddy-O says:

# 93 Misanthropic Scott said, “The question in my mind is whether we deliberately targeted the civilians.

In this case, I’d say yes.”

Could be, I’m not sure. I watched a couple interviews with Tibbits where he talked about the choosing of targets. The Japs had dispersed any manufacturing and major military targets were very close to civilian population centers. But, you could be right and we did it for the shock value on the leadership to pressure a surrender.

6. Mr. Fusion says:

#95, Cow-Patty, Ignorant Shit Talking Sociopath, Retired Mall Rent-A-Cop, Pretend Constitutional Scholar, Fake California Labor Law Expert, Pseudo Military Historian, Phony Climate Scientist, Real Leading Troll Extraordinare, International Copyright Specialist, World Unknown Geologist, and now International Torture Denier.

YOU still haven’t answered or linked to anything about American committing atrocities and war crimes against civilians.

7. pedro says:

#96 Oy! Someone give the kid a lollipop, please?

8. #96 – Mr. Fusion,

It’s a common pattern of Patty’s. He still never answered what made him think that the Obama health plan would be mandatory rather than merely an alternative either.

Paddy-tr-zero-ll??!!?

9. Paddy-O says:

# 97 pedro said, “#96 Oy! Someone give the kid a lollipop, please?”

Don’t worry, it’s just obsessive compulsive disorder trigger by an inferiority complex.

10. Mr. Fusion says:

#98, Scott,

Nor has Cow-Patty ever backed up his claim that Barney Frank blamed the voters for corruption in Washington.

11. #100 – Mr. Fusion,

I’m shocked I tell you shocked that people would claim Cow Patty does not know how to answer a question.

Yawn.