An animal rights group publicized a video Tuesday showing unwanted chicks being tossed alive into a grinder at an Iowa plant and accused egg hatcheries of being “perhaps the cruelest industry” in the world.

The undercover video was shot by Chicago-based Mercy for Animals at a hatchery in Spencer, Iowa, over a two-week period in May and June. The video was first obtained Monday by The Associated Press.dresslikeme

“We have to ask ourselves if these were puppies and kittens being dropped into grinders, would we find that acceptable?” asked Nathan Runkle, the group’s executive director, at a news conference in Des Moines. “I don’t think that most people would.”

The group said that tossing male chicks, which have little value because they can’t lay eggs or be raised quickly enough to be raised profitably for meat, into grinders is common industry practice. United Egg Producers, a trade group for U.S. egg farmers, confirmed that. The video, shot with a hidden camera and microphone by a Mercy for Animals employee who got a job at the plant, shows a Hy-Line worker sorting through a conveyor belt of chirping chicks, flipping some of them into a chute like a poker dealer flips cards. “There is, unfortunately, no way to breed eggs that only produce female hens,” Head said. “If someone has a need for 200 million male chicks, we’re happy to provide them to anyone who wants them. But we can find no market, no need.” Using a grinder, Head said, “is the most instantaneous way to euthanize chicks.”

I suppose we could just wait ’till they’re adults and just lop their little heads off.

1. jaywontdart says:

RE Soy, if you dont like soy, you dont have to eat it. Theres no “soy” in the word “vegan”. I drink soymilk and eat tofu, and am totally flat chested, yes, I am a guy :)

There are many male vegan bodybuilders, an athlete you may know is Carl Lewis, I believe the americans thought he was JC a few years back at the olympics?

There are plenty of vegans all around you. If you look at some actual websites, and not weirdo hippy pamphlets, then maybe you will have a better opinion on the topic.

Eating meat doesnt make you tough, especially when you buy it in a plastic package, hiding behind the massive industry in between.

I love when John talks about “vay-guns” on NA! I use clips from NA on my podcast quite often.

2. clancys_daddy says:

#33 WTF take a basic biology course geez. Then again I raise and hunt or catch my food. Chickens, geese, beef, pork, deer, turkey. fish, right next to the garden raised, home canned veggies, yummy. I guess it might be coincidental that I was raised on farms and know where my food came from growing up. Helpful hint never name your food. Vegetarian old Indian (sorry native american) word for bad hunter.

3. Say What! says:

#41. Um, I believe Carl Lewis was using steroids. So your analogy is a big fat fail.

4. jaywontdart says:

#43 WTF does Carl Lewis using steroids have to do with my “analogy” being “fail”?

Incidentally, steroids are most likely vegan? lol, like beer, vodka, wine (“vegan wine” without the fish gut crap “isinglass), weed, cocaine, magic mushrooms and the hard drugs like chocolate and coffee. Everything people get addicted to seems to be made out of a plant. Do you really think “oh I couldnt give up bacon” compares to a crack heads addiction? :)

I never said anything like “carl lewis was so fast etc because he didnt eat cute baby animals”, I just mentioned that hes a very fit American vegan that people around the world look up to and respect. He does NOT have “bitchtits” as some ingrate above said vegan guys get. Yes, Carl Lewis eats soy products, look up “carl lewis vegan ” on Youtube , oh, like right here

I never said being vegan makes you ultra fast/strong/sexy, although I mention Im vegan if it comes up to the ladies and they think its a positive trait. I dont know many women who get turned on over hunting, the sort of women I go out with prefer a man who can cook to a man who “puts food on the table” in that other way.

5. meetsy says:

vay gan, right?
    Give the soy a few more years, sonny…you’ll see them big fat flabby man boobs, np.
    Most veeeegans are so full of their own excrement that they have little room left to have a sense of humor…they are, however, full of themselves. I know, it’s because they eat with the power of politics. Not sane food choices. Not food that has flavor. NOT food that is nutritionally sound. NOT food that is to satiate the soul.
    Keep telling yourself that you are morally superior as you choke down that barely edible food. I’m so sick of veeeeeeegans.

6. meetsy says:

oh #41…I know where my food comes from…I shop local.

7. laura says:

3 years ago I bit into a mcnugget, it popped liquid in my mouth. I spat it out took it apart a little to discover what was obviously a baby bird, in tact.

8. chickenstastegross says: