Blizzard has had unprecedented success with virtual item sales on the release of the Celestial Steed – a special in-game mount for World of Warcraft that costs the princely sum of $25, €20 or £17.

According to WOW.com (via GamesIndustry.biz), a seven-hour queue of 140,000 people had formed within three hours of the mount’s release last week.

That already represented revenue of $3.5 million – or more than a million dollars an hour – on sales of what is, essentially, just an art asset for the subscription game. The translucent flying horse leaves trails of stardust behind it as it gallops across the sky.

A good gig if you can get it. Blizzard really are the Apple of the gaming world. Who buys this stuff, though?

1. MikieV says:

And there is already a backlash against it, by all the players who are upset that anyone with the cash can buy one… its only “cool” for as long as the “cool kids” are the only ones who can have it.

Once the unwashed masses have them, the cool kids have to find something else to keep portraying themselves as the “unique” individuals they are sure they are.

Kind of like sunglasses in the real world. My wife was wondering why so many people are wearing such HUGE sunglasses… I told her it was because everybody else had switched to “the Matrix” style of glasses, so all the cool kids had to go to the opposite extreme.

Like most “rebels” wearing black Harley T-shirts, and showing-off a few tattoos – claiming it is not a uniform. :)

2. amodedoma says:

Personally, I don’t play like that. However, you got to hand it to these guys, this has got to be the all time easiest way to make big money. If their graphic artists took longer than a day to throw this crap together, well they definitely need new ones. Obviously, these guys have invented the goose that lays golden eggs. What’s amazing to me is that WoW even lasted this long.

3. ray says:

#10 it did back then.

4. Benjamin says:

I never WOW’d. I never had a farm on Farmville. I play video games to get away from people. I don’t want whiney fat men who live in their parent’s basement to chat with me while I am playing a game.

5. philgar says:

What is your time worth? How many hours do you spend a week on DU? Assuming you could go work 3 extra hours at $20 per hour you’re wasting $60 per week just to add a little entertainment in you life. $25 on a fake horse doesn’t sound all that bad if you’re having fun with it.

6. tonym says:

Now I haven’t bought one of these nor do I plan to, but you people make it sound like 25 bucks is an end all, budget breaking amount. It’s $25… seriously. I’m sure most of you spend $25 on equally stupid items that probably won’t last as long. It’s a novelty item. It costs a minimal amount. It makes these peoples experience more enjoyable. The end. I’m sure the average person has spent more on crappy movie/game rentals with 0 return on enjoyment.

7. Thomas says:

I guess Blizzard needed something to help continue funding their other vaporware products of Starcraft and Diablo.

8. The Ragi says:

C’mon, like nobody here ever spent 25 bucks on something stupid.

As long as its your own money, have fun the way you want.

9. obesechicken13 says:

Nothing wrong with buying the horse, I just kind of think it looks rather ugly, what’s with the tail. And it looks like a remodelled starcraft 2 archon with the plates. I’d rather get a fast horse to spend less time on wow if I played it. That’d be a good investment.

10. sirjackum....ultimate ruler of the universe. says:

Everbody thinks what the others are doing is stupid. The internet is full of bad asses who love to insult others. Do that crap on the streets and get your ass blown away. We’re all just trying to get through this, and enjoy it as much as possible.