Al and Tipper Gore announced today that they were separating after 40 years of marriage.

The announcement came in the form of an e-mail message. Friends described the decision as mutual.

“We are announcing today that after a great deal of thought we have decided to separate,” the couple said. “This is very much a mutual and mutually supportive decision that we have made together, following a process of long and careful consideration. We ask for respect for our privacy and that of our family, and we do not intend to comment further.”

The existence of the e-mail message was first reported by Politico. A spokeswoman for Mr. Gore, Kalee Kreider, confirmed its authenticity.

There is a global warming joke here someplace. Any ideas?

1. mentor972 says:

Has anyone else noticed that there aren’t as many posts on here lately. I’m bummed. I used to check the site multiple times daily, but now I have to wait a few days to get some good stories. :-(

2. Anon says:

Maybe she just got tired of having to take antidepressants in order to be around the idiot?

3. MikeN says:

New season of the Bachelor coming.

4. boulez says:

If they split what happens to their carbon footprint? Wouldn’t it double in size? Their divorce will help ruin the planet.

5. Rich says:

Sheesh, what happened to Tipper? Seems a few years ago she was semi-hot, but now it appears her eyes have dropped back into her head a little.

I can’t use my real name, lest the Dems get mad at me, so I’ll use my pseudonym.

John S Dvorak

6. Buzz says:

I all started when the first things he said in the morning were comments like “This coffee will never win a Nobel Prize,” and “Nice dress, but no Oscar.”