That leftward NPR fired him for a politically incorrect comment isn’t surprising. So why ironic? Because our government has done everything it can to make us afraid of those of the Muslim faith. Yes, it’s couched in terms of Islamic terrorists, Iran, etc. But ultimately, excluding the handful of homegrown, right wing terrorists like Tim McVey and converted American radicals, they’re primarily Mid Eastern Muslims who we need to watch out for. Or so they imply in veiled words so as not to overtly racially profile. So when someone actually states the fear tactics have worked on him, it’s political irony at its best to be publicly shocked that it worked.

As National Public Radio weathered a storm of criticism Thursday for its decision to fire news analyst Juan Williams for his comments about Muslims, Fox News moved aggressively to turn the controversy to its advantage by signing Williams to an expanded role at the cable news network.
[…]
“Juan has been a staunch defender of liberal viewpoints since his tenure began at Fox News in 1997,” [Fox’s Roger] Ailes said in a statement, adding a jab at NPR: “He’s an honest man whose freedom of speech is protected by Fox News on a daily basis.”

Meanwhile, conservative leaders lambasted NPR for firing Williams and called for cutting public funding for the media organization. By midafternoon Thursday, more than 4,900 comments had been posted on NPR.org, including many from people who said the media organization was bowing to political correctness and unfairly punishing Williams for expressing his personal opinions.

“In one arrogant move the NPR exposed itself for the leftist thought police they really are,” read one typical post. “After this November elections I hope one of the first things the new Congress does is to defund this poor excuse for public radio.”

Here’s what Williams said on Bill O’Reilly’s show last night:

“I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot….But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they’re identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous,” Williams said.

1. Animby - just phoning it in says:

Hmmm. I don’t recall using amphigory. Hardly a word you would casually drop into everyday conversation. If I did, I must have been showing great respect for your intellectual capacity if not your leftist leanings. Since I have barely recovered from my last saturnalia (two warm beers and a curious rat like creature for the stew) I’m barely prepared for tonight’s festivities. I shall explore the mysteries of mystagogy immediately upon my return to home base on Tuesday. Until then, I’m just going to pretend you’re an initiate in a Holy Roman Catholic order of priests.

I need a good laugh.

2. Alfred Persson says:

#29 Moderator, please reveal the real name of poster #29.

He’s using my name, I may want to sue.

If you hide his name, Its possible I will include John C in the lawsuit, if not, then definitely not.

Thanks

3. Alfred Persson says:

At the very least, poster #29 who deceptively used my real name to lie about what I believe, should be outed.

His real name, and address revealed.

I demand it.

4. Alfred Persson says:

Never mind, that might be my comment after I had a couple.

5. pedro says:

What just happened here?

6. Uncle Dave says:

Alfred, you did send it. The IP address is yours. Get it together, dude.

7. m.c. in l.v. says:

#24 Smith – In case nobody else has pointed it out, the terrorist hijackers were not dressed in “Muslim garb” but dressed just like you or I. And according to Bush, Cheney and their security theater known as DHS you are also a potential terrorist.

What Juan Williams should have said is, “I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot….But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in TEABAGGER garb and I think, you know, they’re identifying themselves first and foremost as TEABAGGERS, I get worried. I get nervous,”

8. RickM says:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

I’ll quote this to all of you righties so you’ll understand the extent of the First Amendment, which you tend to ignore unless it’s some wingnut talking about the overthrow of the government.

The 1st Amendment only protects you from Congress passing laws to abridge the “freedom of speech.” Any organization can prohibit your freedom of speech. If you don’t think so, go to work tomorrow and tell your boss in front of the rest of the employees that he is stupid and a jerk. When you sue for wrongful discharge, and you claim your “free speech” rights, the judge will throw you and your silly case from his court.

Secondly, no one is obligated to provide you with a forum for your speech. Juan Williams can say anything he wants, but NPR is not obligated to provide him a position or airtime to do so.

for all of you that think that Fox is “fair and balanced,” you can only believe that they are not the communication wing of the Republican Party, who they just made a million dollar contribution to.

And for all of you who think that Fox is fair and balanced because they have a good audience, they are in a strong niche market; no one is a far right wing and generally pro Republican as Fox News. Besides, more people watch Sponge Bob than Bill O’Rielly. As a further extension of your logic is this; the Chicago Cubs drew many more people than the Tampa Bay Rays. Ergo, the Cubs are a better team than Tampa. Good luck with that.

This will be forgotten in about a week, after all, how long can a Fox News viewer stick up for an African American sine their normal reaction is revulsion and fear. NPR’s fund drives are happening right now, and contributions are going swimmingly. Just because you can find some wingnuts who will pretend they are NPR members who beat their chests in forums like this and say that they have cancelled their memberships, doesn’t mean it will be a financial disaster when this becomes old news.

9. jbenson2 says:

Nice rant RickM – you avoided the main issue. There is no reason the government should be giving taxpayer money to NPR.

The sloppy termination of Juan Williams has brought this waste of money to a head and started a new defunding Tsunami.

Citizens and politicians are clamoring for the plug to be pulled. If it does not happen during the lameduck session, it will happen once the new Congressional session begins.

And when the bird-brain NPR CEO Vivian Schiller is fired for her slander of Williams – well, that will be icing on the cake.

10. GetSmart says:

So, I’m guessing it’s not “Free Speech” if you’re getting paid.

11. RickM says:

Thanks jbenson2. I’m rather proud of that rant.

Government funding (all 5% of it) the main issue? Maybe in your opinion. That’s a response to the main issue about how “unfair” and how JW’s “free speech rights have been violated.”

I’ll tell you what, I’ll go along with defunding NPR if you go along with Fox News being removed from the front row in the White House Press Room. They are, afterall, a wing (the right one) of the Republican Party.

12. jbenson2 says:

RickM

Your assertion that the “main issue” was the termination was unfair and a violation of free speech is a straw dog.

Let NPR show how wonderfully successful they are by standing on their own without the crutch from the taxpayers.

It will be super to see them bump up their shilling to hours and hours and hours.

Bad Behavior has blocked 19288 access attempts in the last 7 days.