Amid concerns over radiation from scanners, civil lawsuits over pat-downs, and general ineptitude on the part of TSA airport personnel, one Florida airport has thrown in the towel. Orlando Sanford International Airport has announced that it will opt out of the TSA’s screening program.

The TSA program was indeed a pilot program and not mandatory. Orlando is seriously a tourist destination that cannot afford the backlash caused by the TSA. Many Europeans who go to DisneyWorld have said they will not go if it involves having their kids groped. And a lot of kids go through Orlando. This is momentous because now it means other airports are watching and will be under pressure to do the same, especially if it saves money. Disney is behind this, I’m sure of it. Let’s see where it leads.

Note this is not the BIG airport, but Sanford where International Charters and Iceland Air go to.

1. Rob Leather says:

YESSSSS! I say this as a UK citizen who holidays in Florida and ALWAYS try and fly to Sanford. The airpost staff have ALWAYS been more friendly than MCO (aka Orlando Internatonal). Last time we flew home the TSA guys where joking around with everybody… it made a very, very pleasant change.

Go Sanford!!

2. In The Morning says:

Let’s hope that those airports opting out don’t experience any false flag incidents. That would show the slaves how wrong they are!

3. ethanol says:

@JMilesMiller #18,
    Since when did the religion of Islam become a race or only brown people? What about the largest muslim country in the world, Indonesia?

4. Jay says:

@ #8 one article I saw said that the private contactors will still have to adhere to TSA policy in regards to a pat down but it didn’t say they had to do the “enhanced” pat down.

5. bwjunior says:

Again folks, private screening companies still are supervised by the TSA and must follow TSA screening procedures using TSA screening equipment. Therefore pat downs and full body scanners will still be used.

6. bwjunior says:

And an aside to this article, Orlando is far from the first to opt out. San Francisco, Kansas City, Sioux Falls, and several others have been private for several years

7. MikeN says:

>these PC hypocrites are harassing everyone.

No, they are harassing everyone EXCEPT the Muslims.
    They are exempt from the enhanced pat-downs.

8. msbpodcast says:

You may think I’m Goofey©™® here but I was looking forward to getting my prostate massaged by Cinderella©™®’s loving hands. (What, you think I want to play “hand puppet” with Minnies©™® big gloved rat paws?)

Or is that too Mickey Mouse©™® for you?

BTW. Three of my external hard drives here are called Huey, Dewey and Louis.

And the things I could tell you about that lovable Fascist “Unca Walt” would curl your short hairs.

9. Animby - just phoning it in says:

# 20 stoopidflanders said, “…some dumb bigot American (probably from a “red” state)”

Wow! Speaking of bigots!

# 23 ethanol said, “…only brown people? What about the largest muslim country in the world, Indonesia?”

I’m in Indonesia right now. Looking around me, most of these people are pretty much brown. And short. (I’m not saying to profile brown people, just wondering what your statement meant?)

10. Mextli says:

#9 “Can you imagine the uproar if the government did this screening to ILLEGAL ALIENS crossing the border”

And there should be an uproar. It would constitute racial profiling to screen undocumented immigrants that are just arriving to do jobs Americans will not do.

11. Faxon says:

I don’t fly. I don’t give a shit.

12. jescott418 says:

You know if we could just profile people as potential suspects and just scan them. Life would be so much better for most of us traveling.

13. SimonSezz says:

I saw a quote somewhere from a TSA agent who offered a hypothetical situation, he said they could offer passengers two flights, one with no pat downs and no full body scans, and one with the the TSA. The passengers could choose which flight they want to go on.

14. Nobody says:

@SimonSezz
    How about another hyperthetical. One where they spend $Bns on body scanners, pat-downs and taking bottles of water off you. And another where they spend $Bns on upgrading air traffic control, fitting weather radar at small airports, and improving maintenance?

15. FRAGaLOT says:

Wow.. i didn’t think anyone in Florida had the balls, let alone the BRAINS to do something like this. Good way to change the image of FL of dumb asses who can’t vote from 10 years ago.

16. Hugh G. Rection says:

I love to whip out my prosthetic penis and put it in the tray when I go through security. It’s nice and warm from the X-Ray scanner when I put it back in my pants.

17. Counterweight says:

# 36 Hugh G. Rection – I love to whip out my prosthetic penis

That’s no prosthesis. That’s a carrot!!!

18. JC says:

The only thing is, if the airport opts-out, the only change will be to the personnel doing the screening. The screening technology and procedures will remain identical. The only difference will be having the screening performed by contracted screening personnel instead of government employees.