Jason Parham – blogs.villagevoice.com – Thu., Nov. 18 2010:

In this week’s cover story, writer Keegan Hamilton investigates the controversy surrounding ibogaine, the experimental hallucinogen drug that has helped kick meth and heroin addictions.

Ibogaine is illegal, even though its power to cure addicts has been proven. Hamilton’s story describes the many reasons the medical establishment and the government are wary of Ibogaine, despite its benefits, but one of them really stood out:

Because Ibogaine is an outright cure, drug companies want nothing to do with it.

Martin Kuehne, a chemist at the University of Vermont, is quoted in the story, saying, “Pharmaceutical companies don’t like cures. Really, they don’t — that’s the sad thing. They like treatment. Something for cholesterol or high blood pressure that you take for years and years, every day. That’s where the profit is.

When we read that, a light went on. The worst thing for a drug company is a pill you take that completely cures you of your ailment with one dose, right? Where’s the money in that?

1. hoolio says:

Pharmaceutical corps, scum of the earth!

2. msbpodcast says:

Yup.

They don’t make an endless supply of money from cures.

They make an endless supply of money from TREATMENTS.

You want cures?

Die!

That’ll cure everything.

3. Animby - just phoning it in says:

#23 – Skeptic – I certainly did not mean to indicate that BigPharma is above reproach in their business model only that I don’t believe the conspiracy model of business. Years ago, I was involved in some drug testing for the newly discovered class of blood pressure medicines called beta blockers. When introduced, they were very, very expensive. Now? Everyone makes them, the patents are off and they’re dirt cheap. That’s the way it always works for successful drugs. These companies spends billions in research and testing and they’re anxious to get their return on investment. Is that return excessive? That’s for other people to determine.

I’m sorry to hear of your medical condition. There is at least one generic form of Gleevec. I googled “gleevec generic” and found some Canadian pharmacies that sell it. A sample pharmacy was selling 30×400 mg tabs for $375 vs their Novartis product 30x400mg $3200. I’m not going to recommend a pharmacy to you but it’s worth researching.

I believe US law still allows importation for personal use. Again, that’s for you to investigate. Good luck.

4. skeptic says:

Animby…. warmest thanks. I had no idea there was a generic out as the patent is still valid. Luckily I live in Ontario, Canada and found out that I qualify for a government co-payment plan based on income. However, I have noticed others on CML blogs who are struggling with the cost and I will certainly pass the generic drug info along.

5. Animby - just phoning it in says:

Skeptic – Glad to hear you’re getting treatment. As I said, some countries are ignoring the patents justifying the action by sating the public good is more important than the patent holder’s profits. That could certainly lead to a slippery slope. Oh, well.

If you do recommend the generic alternative you must also pass along the caveat: The countries that manufacture these knock-offs may have lax quality control. In my experience, Brazilian and Indian drugs are being manufactured by large and reputable companies. That’s not to say due diligence should not be exercised. I strongly urge people to talk to their doctors about any generic they wish to purchase.

Perversely, I believe I have heard it is more difficult for Canadians to get some of these generics from the Canadian mail-order pharmacies than for people in the US.

Anyway, good luck to you.

6. David says:

#30 Colorado

Don’t tell anyone, but after getting your teeth cleaned next time, buy some “Ecodent” tooth powder and brush each time after eating: no more plaque.

7. Glass Half Full says:

That’s why none of them every want to cure diabetes. It’s infinitely more profitable to sell insulin and blood glucose test strips to you for the rest of your life then a one time $5,000 “cure”.

I’m sorry, but this isn’t paranoia just the reality of having an health care industry that’s designed “for profit”. If that’s what you want, ok fine, but don’t be an IDIOT and PRETEND they then want just what’s “best for you”…no they want whats best for their quarterly profits and shareholders, and if that happens to be treatment over cure then that’s what YOU get because YOU wanted a “for profit” health care system.

Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

8. Glenn E. says:

I seriously doubt the one pill cures permanently fantasy. But agree somewhat with the notion that cures for some things are being avoided. Like nicotine addition. The use of patches, to ween smokers off of cigarettes, seems stupid. There are NO alcohol, cocaine, or meth patches, to ween abusers off these substances. Why keep supplying nicotine in smaller, more gradual doses, rather than quitting it completely? It can be done. Thousands of people do it. But some are a little weaker willed. So why not keep them hooked, and give them a chance to relapse, by feeding them nicotine 24/7 thru their skin? Or provide nicotine in candy (gum)? Or some smokeless cigarette substitute? The weening you off an addiction excuse, seems to me to be a lie.

One day I decided to stop buying and consuming sodas and potato chips, for health reasons. Surprisingly I haven’t had any craving for either. If I had tried weening myself off these, I’m sure it wouldn’t work. Who can eat just one potato chip? Or take one swallow of Coke? What blows my mind now, is noticing how many people fill their shopping carts with this crap. The whole world seems addicted to liquid sugar and caffeine. Besides the National Smoke-Off day (sounds more like a smoking contest, than quitting). There ought to be a National Soda-Off day. Maybe diabetes rates would decrease substantially. And a National Chip-Off day, would lower high blood pressure a bit. Think of all the argo jobs there would be if we eat more natural foods, than the processed stuff that’s killing us.

9. Glenn E. says:

I meant Agro-jobs, excuse the typo please. It’s late.

BTW, speaking of addictions. They now have something new called “I-Dosing”. Which is total crap, from what I can tell. Young people thinking they can get high from blasting a bunch of weird audio tracks over their headphones. Mostly it’s just the equivalent of spinning around in an office chair. The phasing of the stereo track, effects one’s perception of spacial orientation. And the loudness probably creates so much pain, than endorphins are released. The trade off is you go deaf faster. And then move onto harder substance abuse. Where’s the “brown noise” when you need it, for these idiots?

10. Glenn E. says:

BTW, calling this so-called electronic high, “I-Dosing”, is obviously more Apple products slamming. They could just as easily call it “Zune-Spinning” or “Zuning”. But I’ll bet Microsoft would sue Fox News’ pants off. So what next on the Anti-Apple front. A roomer that stereo-graphic pictures viewed on iPads, causes permanent cross-eyed-ness?

11. JimD says:

This is why there is NO CURE FOR CANCER !!! What would CANCER, INC. do if there was a cure ???

12. JimD says:

P.S. – When the Country needed Canons and Rifles, we built Federal Arsenals to make them. Now when we need Pharmaceuticals that people can afford, why don’t we have Federal Pharma Factories ? Just a thought …

13. Rick Cain says:

Most cures are found in people’s refrigerators, but the food industry isn’t interested in making us healthy. They want us fat, disgusting, and hungry.

Bad Behavior has blocked 13739 access attempts in the last 7 days.