Anders Behring Breivik is a conservative Christian who enjoys classical music and the video game World of Warcraft.

Breivik has been named by several Norwegian media outlets as the suspected shooter at a youth camp in Oslo, where 10 80 people were killed Friday and he may be linked to a bombing near the prime minister’s residence that killed seven others.

On his Facebook page, which appears to only have been started July 17, Breivik mostly posted music videos and said his interests include hunting and bodybuilding…

His profile also says he’s a director at a company called Breivik Geofarm.

He lists himself as single and has five profile photos – four of which are headshots…

A Twitter account is also being linked to Breivik, although there is just one tweet on July 17.

“One person with a belief is equal to the force of 100,000 who have only interests,” he wrote.

The television station TV 2 in Norway reported Breivik had right-wing extremist tendancies and had two guns registered under his name.

The headline is from some unnamed official who was asked about “international” terrorism.

1. MikeN says:

But this is a country with gun control! And the police don’t carry guns! Oh wait.

2. LibertyLover says:

#151, I guess the old adage, “When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns,” really IS true.

3. bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas. says:

When only outlaws have guns, they’ll be easier to catch.

Ipso dipso.

4. pedro says:

#153 A real stupid assertion. No, they’re not easier to catch. It’s easier to control population through fear that way.

But hey, keep doing your philosophic exercises (a.k.a. mental masturbations) and no real world observations. Typical of a basement dweller.

5. smartalix says:

Pedro,

My only argument is hat a gun does not protect you from the government. Ask the Waco survivors, or the Ruby Ridge survivors, or the citizens of New Orleans.

6. pedro says:

#155 My reality is other Alix. Here, people were taken their guns away under a supposed “disarmament” law. Now only robbers, killers & psychos have guns.

This alone would be nothing, but turns out that the government turned against its own people and only those with ties with the government have guns and they outgun police in both number & power of their weaponry.

The end result is people are more scared of their own police & military than the criminals.

I can tell you horror stories that happen here by the half a day and people just shy away and do nothing because they simply don’t have weapons to defend themselves nor law enforcement to help them. It’s way worse than Mexico.

The lonely lynching can be seen occasionally when the whole community finally takes too much, but not only they are far apart, but they’re way worse than allowing the citizens to protect themselves.

I think precisely this was the scenario that the American Founding Fathers had in mind when they thought about the right to bear arms.

7. bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas. says:

Say Pedro–what is the homicide rate by gun where you live? How many times lower than in the USA??

Do the math. In which society are you more at risk?

Silly gun nuts.

8. So what says:

Correct me if I am wrong (and I am sure you will), but weren’t the guns that he used legally purchased? So it would appear that you can have guns in Norway.

9. pedro says:

#157 Ok, since you asked for it…

http://psicologiajuridica.org/psj99.html First link, in Spanish (you don’t need to know Spanish to read the numbers & graph, do you?), showing how much the crime increased up ’til 2003. Chavez took office in Jan ’99. This is homicides only

http://bit.ly/q0QPJT Second link, ironically from a Mexican site (Spanish also), says in big letters that Caracas is the world leader in murders & the most dangerous city in America. The most important point: Homicide rate in Caracas (the highest on the list) is 130 per 100,000 habitants, The second most dangerous is New Orleans with 67 per 100,000 (third one is Cape Twon with 62)

http://bit.ly/nyOvuu The third one from Nicaragua (Spanish), says that there have been around 170,000 homicides in Venezuela since chavez took office up ’til June 17 2011.

http://bit.ly/nPrdpI And the fourth (Spanish too) one shows that up ’til 2099, there were 123,000 murders, with more than 19,000 just on that 2009.

http://econ.st/nEX3pt Here you have one in English from The Economist. The only US city they put there is D.C., but they put the US overall (up to 2008).

http://nyti.ms/aqzBNx And last but not least, I have the very right wing NY Times saying Venezuela is deadlier than Iraq (up to 2010).

Now, surprise us all and tell us is worse in the US.

Silly theoretical ignorant.

10. moss says:

smartalix – as usual – is way too rational and appreciative of reality, history, commerce, culture to have his analysis accepted by the crew that still looks under their bed at night for ghosts and goblins.

11. pedro says:

#160 I didn’t see him talking to you. And last time I saw under my bed I had your momma.

Moss…for brains.

12. smartalix says:

Pedro,

As it was pointed out, the guy did have a legal gun. Heck, a lot of people don’t know that you can keep guns in your house in anti-gun Germany if you have an active hunting license.

The issue I wanted to open up is the whole guns as protection from government scenario. If you say your guns are important for personal and home defense I would say fine, but they should be registered and you should demonstrate that you know how to use them. If you say you have guns to protect yourself from the government then I must disagree with you as it is impossible to fight the government with force.

13. Rich says:

Is that fellow at the top the suspect? He looks like a Thunderbird puppet.

14. LibertyLover says:

Pedro,

Don’t confuse them with facts. The only way to win is to fight like they do — put your fingers I you ears and scream, “I’m right! I’m right!”

15. pedro says:

#162 I see your points and there’s validity in them Alix.

The thing is, there should be a balance between the right to self defense and being defenseless.

You cannot trust governments even if they are good. The rulers that stay a short period of time change constantly and you don’t know if the next one will be as good. If you have a permanent fixture chances are he wants to stay there forever.

Nowadays oppressive governments don’t function as they used to. They do not oppress the people directly because that’s bad rep. They could do that in the past because there was not much communication and people outside were left in the dark and to their own beliefs. Nowadays they have to have some kind of legitimacy facade.

What they do is to have para-government groups in charge of inspiring fear on the population be it by organized pro government groups and/or letting insecurity run wild. That way, the government can wash they hands saying they cannot control neither the insecurity nor the pro government groups. Or even better, say that the country is safe and that it’s just a campaign from the opposition.

So when one talks about defending yourself from the government, I’m talking about defend yourself from this kinds of government.

Oh, and they get there by votes. Coups are passe.
    Only lunatics or people that have a big military and don’t care what other countries say oppress their people directly.

What I found most disappointing of a lot of Democrats in the US is that they look at one of those regimes that oppress their people and other countries both directly and indirectly as an example for how things must be done in the US. This is a matter of another subject.

In the US and correct my if I’m wrong, you need to have your guns registered. If you’re caught with an unregistered gun, you go to jail. The process differs from state to state. People should be allowed to defend themselves.

You cannot stop a madman like the one in Norway by restraining the rights of rest of society. If that’s the case, send all Norway to the loony bin, because this guy is a madman.

What you will have if you leave guns to government only is to have situations like having a bus with more than 60 people being taken hostage for over 2 hours by 4 armed thugs and have all women gang raped, even an elderly woman and a child of 11. And nobody noticed nor did anything.

The situation in Norway was an anomaly. What I told you happens daily. See the numbers I left here.

#163 Indeed he does.

16. “I’ve gone ahead and bookmarked http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2011/07/22/this-is-norways-oklahoma-city-not-norways-world-trade-center at Digg.com so my friends can see it too. I simply used This is Norway’s Oklahoma City — not Norway’s World Trade Center Dvorak News Blog as the entry title in my Digg.com bookmark, as I figured if it is good enough for you to title your blog post that, then you probably would like to see it bookmarked the same way