Michelle Obama and President Obama traveled to Martha’s Vineyard just hours apart, costing taxpayers thousands in additional expenses so she could have just a bit of extra vacation time.

Mrs. Obama and her daughters arrived just before 2 pm Thursday on a U.S. government jet, according to the Martha’s Vineyard Times, which got its information from the local airport. The first lady’s office has been silent on her travel. President Obama arrived in the evening along with the family dog Bo.

The extra costs related to Mrs. Obama’s solo trip mainly include the flight on a specially designed military aircraft she took instead of Air Force One, as well as any extra staff and Secret Service that had to be enlisted to go with her. She would also have had her own motorcade from the airport to her vacation residence. This is not the first time Michelle has gone on vacation ahead of the president on the taxpayers’ tab. Last December, she racked up what was likely more than $100,000 in expenses leaving early for their Hawaii vacation.

Things that make you go Hmmmm, or just part of his “jobs” initiative?

1. MikeN says:

>If not when, and that’s a BIG if

If you feel that way, then you should be betting on it. You can get better than even odds that Obama will be reelected at either intrade or the Iowa electronic markets.

2. MikeN says:

That is, you get better than 1-1 odds.

3. So what says:

Rick Santorum
    150/1
    Gary Johnson
    150/1
    Thaddeus McCotter
    150/1

If you bet $1,000 on Obama to be reelected, you’d receive $1,500 the day after election day, 2012.
    That’s a fifty percent return on your money in sixteen months.

I personally, of course, do not endorse wagering in any form.

Nonetheless, you might be interested in Ladbrokes’ take on the GOP nomination:

Mitt Romney
    66/1
    Gary Johnson
    66/1
    Thaddeus McCotter
    66/1

4. Jim says:

I’m guessing a “vacation” is something rich people take. When trying to support a wife and kids and trying to save for the inevitable rainy day when the economy goes south and to save for an eventual retirement or health issue, vacations aren’t part of our vocabulary.

Now that I think of it, Dad took a vacation every 4 or 5 years just to keep Mom from complaining about not seeing their parents.

The economy sucks. Too bad no one in Washington D.C. actually feels the pain.

5. So what says:

Wow Jim I didn’t know I was wealthy 48k must go a lot farther where I live. I take vacation three to four times a year. A week in the spring and usually a week in the fall before school starts another in “winter” and ten days in Colorado for elk season. Hell my single raising a kid alone mother managed a two week vacation every year for her and I. Lets see I remember Mississippi, Florida, Minnesota, North and South Carolina, Canada twice, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, California to name a few. I Guess it depends on what you consider a vacation.

6. MikeN says:

#43, is it the same odds if you bet against? I’m taking my life savings and betting against Pawlenty at those odds.

7. Bill says:

He needs to be impeached!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He and his family costs the American Taxpayers more money than he and his family are worth..especially during these trying financial times our country is in. My wife and I live on social security only and can barely make ends meet while He and His Family are spending money like there is no tomorrow. There may be no tomorrow but we should at least plan as if there were.

8. So what says:

#47 For what crime exactly?

9. MikeN says:

You don’t need a crime to be impeached.

10. So what says: