If You Are a Current or Former Netflix Subscriber
A Settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit that claims Netflix unlawfully kept and disclosed information, including records on the movies and TV shows its customers viewed. Netflix denies that it has done anything wrong.

What does the Settlement provide?

Netflix has agreed to change its data retention practices so that it separates (known as “decoupling”) Entertainment Content Viewing History (that is, movies and TV shows that someone watched) from identification information for those subscribers who have not been a Netflix subscriber for at least 365 days, with some exceptions.

In addition, Netflix will pay $9 million into a Settlement Fund to:
• Make donations to Court-approved not-for-profit organizations, institutions, or programs.
• Pay notice and settlement administration expenses.
• Pay attorneys’ fees of up to 25% or $2.25 million of the Settlement Fund, plus up to $25,000 in expenses.
• Pay a total incentive award of $30,000 to the Named Plaintiffs.

Proposals from potential donation recipients will be sought, and, after consideration, recommendations will be made to the Court. A list of the proposed donation recipients will be posted on the website.

I received this today, you may have as well.

1. shooff says:

Netflix, while handy, has average picture quality and last year’s shows.

I like it. Thank god for instantwatcher because Netflix interface sux.

Try having a few glasses of wine and trying to find a decent movie in the their library. You are likely to throw the remote through the screen.

Instantwatcher lets you review the stuff on your PC, phone or tablet without all the pain of the Netflix “Goofy” I mean gui.

Really if netflix fixed their interface it would be much better. Clearly designed for the pre-literate. Think 4 year olds looking for teletubbies.

It’s amazing that can’t figure out an interface for grown-ups after all these years, yet they email you when they know you had lousy resolution.

2. JimD, Boston, MA says:

DATA THEFT is the reason the Internet exists !!! EVERY “SERVICE” Provider is writhing down what you do and SELLING IT TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER !!!

3. B. Dod says:

What I watch on Netflix is my business. If those scumbags told the goddam world about it they can pay me not some stinking tax deductible charity, like they are real nice or something.

4. Tomas says:

Oh yeah I’m part of that settlement.

Me = Zero, zip, zilch, not even a free month of service

Named Plantifs = a few bucks each (don’t know how many there are)

Attorneys = 2.25 million

Oh thank goodness for class actions like these, they’re totally watching out for my interests

5. Thank you for any other informative blog. The place else could I get that kind of info written in such an ideal manner? I’ve a challenge that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the glance out for such information.

6. President Amabo (I see the comment system is still designed for retards.) says:

Netflix needs to refine it’s interface so it’s easier to find the bare boobies in the R rated movies. Wouldn’t have to waste time with the rest of the movie…

7. msbpodcast says:

I subscribed from the start they must pay for their sins forever

How ’bout a useful comment…

If this crap is all you’re going to post, why don’t you smite them or something and STFU?

8. xjonx says:

English, please. This is an English blog and as such, most here do not understand “chicken scratching”.

9. bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

Ha, ha–mpod==no fan of the Theater of the Absurd I’ll wager. Not my favority art form either, but its a good exposure/practice to be more flexible yourself. IMAGINE===looking to yourself for a better outcome before looking to others?

So its vague, personally referential, ambiguous and just plain BS–so what? Roll with it, like much of poetry==you might catch an image here, a tangent there. What is “useful” in your perspective? Something familiar, something known?/something not new?

Pal up with Stretch Armstrong and enjoy something new—don’t be a libertarian with all your appreciation wrapped up in repetitive dogma.

Yea verily—its yawlaway all the way down.

10. pedro says:

Good one!

11. pedro says:

When will you stop writing chicken scratch?

12. MikeN says:

Don’t respond to bobbo, pedro. IN the global warming thread, he called himself a retard, and didn’t even realize it. He is not the type to be made fun of.

13. bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

I did? Crap….I hate it when I do that. I’m sure I was on my third beer, not that that makes a difference. Drunk and Retarded is a terrible way to go thru life, but it does leave time to read and think.

Global Warming
    Gun Violence
    Racial Bigotry
    Religious Bigotry
    Corporate Ownership of Culture

Better than a life chained in a cubicle I suppose.

The Horror…..oh, the Horror!