How many of you thought casting your vote in a secret ballot is written in the Constitution or otherwise protected by federal law to protect the voter from intimidation? Combine this with the Republican’s frantic push to exclude as many potential Democrat voters around the country and undesirable candidates, and this may make for the lowest percentage voter count ever.

Saying there is no fundamental right to a secret ballot, a federal judge Friday dismissed a lawsuit filed by elections integrity activists that challenged whether counties can print ballots with identifying numbers that critics say can be traced back to individual voters easily. Denver U.S. District Judge Christine Arguello first denied a request by the Citizen Center, a group that advocates transparency in elections, to block counties temporarily from printing ballots with identifying bar codes.

1. oldman says:

My wife and I went grocery shopping the other day. We were browsing at the produce section, and she picked up this weird looking eggplant which we have never had before. It was on sale for $1.99/lb. At the checkout, the cashier mistakenly punched in Japanese eggplant, which was $3.99/lb. The eggplant weighted 0.49 pound, so we were charged $1.96, instead of $0.98.

My wife noticed the mistake, and took the eggplant to the customer service desk to get it corrected. The staff at the desk could not comprehend the fact that the price of $1.96 was due to an incorrectly entered unit price of $3.99/lb. After my wife repeatedly explained it to her, she finally said “we actually charged you less than $1.99, we charged you $1.96. So you actually owed us 3 cents.” Out of desperation, my wife returned the eggplant and got $1.96 back.

I don’t want that service desk staff to represent me!

• orchidcup says:

Now you see what I mean.

I am the only person I know that is normal.

A normal person would have overlooked the error with the price of an eggplant and not bothered with going to the service desk to correct an error of $0.98.

It is not worth 98 cents to go to all that trouble and frustration. I know, it was the principle, not the price, that mattered.

If it were me, I would have avoided the time and frustration to correct the error and would have ate the 98 cents and the eggplant.

People are crazy, pure and simple.

• pedro says:

The conjugation you were looking for was “eaten”

I would have eaten.

These chicanos and their poor use of our language…

• orchidcup says:

I was using an alliterative figure of speech.

A colloquialism.

• pedro says:

Nice try but no cigar.

• bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

Well, alliteration is normally made by sequential consonant sounds not vowel sounds. Maybe you were thinking of making a hononym?

In either case, you would not be using a figure of speech, or even a colloquialism.

You know the best time to use a dictionary? …… When you want to know what a word means.

• orchidcup says:

You both passed the test.

Congratulations.

• oldman says:

I don’t know how much you make. For me, it’s worth the effort to get 98 cents back. In fact, we got $1.96 back.

2. Uncle Patso says:

The biggest election fraud in the last 100 years is the Supreme Court decision that money=speech.

3. Ken says:

Why should ballots be secret anyway? Considering the condition of politics in this nation, it wouldn’t be so bad for voters to actually be accountable for their votes, rather than hide behind a secret ballot.

• orchidcup says:

I am offering bumper stickers that say “I voted for [ insert name here ] and you suck if you didn’t.”

• bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

whoosh.

4. Supreme Ultrahuman (I see the comment system is still designed for retards.) says:

The ID requirements for voting should be indentical to those for buying alcohol, cigarettes, driving, getting on a plane or buying a gun, collecting a gov’t aid check, etc.

Synchronize them all and one way or another we’ll all be better off.

5. Mike Strong says:

Ballots are secret because otherwise voters can be intimidated or punished or put in prison for voting the “wrong” way. What idiocy to claim this is a matter of voters taking responsibility for their vote. Do we really have to explain that? What, did all knowledge, all history get thrown away, all laws and democratic procedutes forgotten? Did some of you decide to get born yesterday? The people financing the candidates should not be secret to make sure everyone knows who and what they are voting for. Nor should the count be secret. Only the actual vote for each voter.