Georgia Republican congressman Paul Broun tore into scientists as tools of the devil in a speech at the Liberty Baptist Church Sportsman’s Banquet last month.

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior…”

According to Broun, the scientific plot was primarily concerned with hiding the true age of the Earth…“You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth,” he said. “I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says…”

…Broun credited his literal Biblical interpretation with driving his approach to government…“What I’ve come to learn is that it’s the manufacturer’s handbook, is what I call it,” he said. “It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason as your congressman I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.”

The man’s a fool. I feel sorry for the people ignorant enough to vote for him. He probably expects to cure our economic problems by having Ron Paul or Mitt Romney lay hands on the door to the US Treasury and pray.

1. NobodySpecial says:

Could be worse – who is the republican chair on the FAA ?
    “This is your captain speaking, we are on final approach to JFK. The airport has turned of the godless imaginary beams and we will now all close our eyes and pray for a safe landing”

2. pedro says:

Yawn!

3. Norm says:

As a scientist, I feel threatened and bullied by his statements….SOMEONE ARREST HIM!

4. Scott M. says:

Too many warning signs to count…but let’s start the list:
    1. Idiots.
    2. Add guns.
    3. Add religion.
    4. Add Creationists.
    5. Add Sportsmans Club (or any group limited by membership) – where group-think can be used as a control. It is all about conforming with the views of the lead sociopath.
    6. Add Southerners.
    7. Add an indifferent electorate.
    8. Add money that buys elections.

Is anyone surprised by the result?

5. TheEyesHaveIt says:

Whatever he’s selling those reindeer look like they’re TOTALLY buying it.

6. Johan says:

I usually don’t use internet lingo but.. LOL

7. Broun also introduced a resolution in 2009 which would have encouraged the president to declare 2010 as “The National Year of the Bible” and to “issue a proclamation calling upon citizens of all faiths to rediscover and apply the priceless, timeless message of the Holy Scripture which has profoundly influenced and shaped the United States.”

Unfortunately, some of the Biblical acts by God’s most faithful servants are considered capital murder, punishable in some states by death. If Broun really wants to govern using the Bible as a guide, he should introduce legislation to suspend the death penalty in all cases where the perpetrator received a telepathic authorization from God to commit the murder, as was the case in Biblical times. Who could argue with that?

8. steve says:

Thank you for warning us how evil republicans are.

Democrats are wonderful.

Thank you for you inspiration posting.