Matt Roth took this photo at a seminar on exorcism led by Paprocki

A Roman Catholic bishop from Springfield, Ill., who has called the Democratic Party platform “intrinsically evil,” challenged the likes of Sen. Roy Blunt and U.S. Rep. Todd Akin on Sunday to be more like Sir Thomas More, who was beheaded in 1535 after being convicted for treason.

Bishop Thomas Paprocki, preaching at the annual Red Mass at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis, told the lawmakers in a crowd of lawyers and judges that More, in his day, was roughly the equivalent to White House chief of staff, secretary of state and chief justice of the Supreme Court — all at once.

But More sacrificed his wealth and career on his religious conviction. He refused to accept King Henry VIII as head of the Church of England. More sided with Rome on that issue…

Paprocki is one of the architects of the U.S. Catholic bishops’ campaign against the mandate by the administration of President Barack Obama that religiously affiliated institutions, such as universities and hospitals, must soon include free birth control coverage in their employee health coverage…

In addition to Missouri Republicans Blunt and Akin, other dignitaries in attendance included state Sen. Eric Schmitt, R-Glendale, and Ann Wagner, of Ballwin, a longtime GOP leader and former U.S. ambassador to Luxembourg…

Paprocki drew headlines in September when he wrote that the Democratic Party platform is “intrinsically evil” for its protection of abortion, contraception and same-sex marriage and that one’s soul could be in jeopardy depending on your vote.

“My job is not to tell you for whom you should vote. But I do have a duty to speak out on moral issues,” he wrote in the Sept. 23 letter…”You need to think and pray very carefully about your vote, because a vote for a candidate who promotes actions or behaviors that are intrinsically evil and gravely sinful makes you morally complicit and places the eternal salvation of your own soul in serious jeopardy.”

In a period with religions and their flunkeys in politics embracing confrontation over our constitutional freedoms, I think it’s important to keep the issue in the public eye. We certainly can’t count on our politicians to take the responsibility.

1. derspankster says:

When facts don’t fit your agenda, deny their validity – problem solved!

2. MikeN says:

The background is the Left does not want there to be any higher power than the government.

• Dallas says:

Nice catch phrase. Rush?

• pedro says:

What, too real to handle DUllass?

• The Monster's Lawyer says:

still sticking your nose up Dallas’ ass?

• Dallas says:

I know. This little leaf blower putz is like a deer tick

• noname says:

Apt description, PP(poor pedro)=deer tick.

Besides deer ticks or PP being useless and annoying, they are incurably diseased.

• pedro says:

Look! Two gay sheeple defending one another. That’s the way it should be.

• noname says:

PP(poor pedro), so lonely aren’t you! You wish you had more than just your RIGHT-HAND & LEFT-HAND to fight over you for the perfect date night with little pedro.

You should create a You Tube video of your hands ,fighting it out over holding PP. It would be as viral as you are!

Your soo funny! :) :) :) :) :) :)

PP don’t stop your so called blogging. DU needs the amusement! :) :) :) :) :) :)

3. Dallas says:

This is a good time to celebrate the LOW UNEMPLOYMENT rate that God has enabled in order to help the Obama election.

Being all powerful, God has enabled this at the right time.

• orchidcup says:

Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:

But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

— Genesis 3:1-5

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

—Isaiah 45:7

• Dallas says:

It does seem God has his fingers in everything so my position holds true with your findings

• pedro says:

This has been another self-delusion exercise from DUllass the sheeple

• The Monster's Lawyer says:

Pedro, you would do well to heed the prophet Dallas.

• noname says:

PP(poor pedro) you really have a strong crush on Dallas. It’s a scary psychotic imaginary affair your having with your self.

You really need to take your Meds!

• pedro says:

I assure you, I don’t swing your way. Your love for DUllass is uncontested.

• noname says:

PP(poor pedro) you wish your delusions would justify your Dallas crush.

Sorry to disappoint! You’re on your own, in for another night with just your RIGHT-HAND & LEFT-HAND fighting over you for the perfect date night with little pedro.

Your soo funny! :) :) :) :) :) :)

4. MikeN says:

This is why Obama wants to pick a fight with the Catholic Church, because it is an impediment to the radical vision of max power to the government. Having churches that engage in charity work is not helpful either. That is why regulations that force them to shut down a hospital is preferred.

• Dallas says:

Religion is an impediment to freedom and individuality. Because, with freedom and individuality there is no control. No control means no fear. No fear means no money coming in.

• pedro says:

Nice scramble eggs for brains you have in that skull

• noname says:

PP(pathetic pedro) you really have a strong crush on Dallas. It’s a scary psychotic imaginary affair you’re having with yourself.

You really need to take your Meds!

• pedro says:

Writing the same thing twice? Oh, that’s right! you have no brain.

• noname says:

No PP(poor pedro) it’s not just twice, you idiot, grow a brain!

For you, it’s many more times!

Too bad you’re so stupid you can’t count higher then (2). You really are pathetic!

Most people, when genetically and intellectually challenged as you are, use their fingers to count. You seem to be only able to use your hands to count.

PP(pathetic pedro) we all wish we could help you. But stem cell research isn’t far enough along to help regrow your brain.

Pathetic pedro, You are just stuck in your PP rut.

• GregAllen says:

Obama didn’t pick a fight with the Catholics.
      He just is trying to get women basic healthcare.

5. orchidcup says:

Let us study the Bible and understand the true meaning with emphasis added:

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

— Genesis 3:1-5

—Isaiah 45:7

• shooff says:

Bible says nothing about defrocking pedophile priests, few have been (even after being caught raping children over and over again).

Catholic Bishops are no better than Joe Pa and they used the bible and their beloved new testament to justify covering up for their brothers.

The rape of children by the Catholic Bishops throughout the world nullifies them hiding behind religion.

Arrest, try and hang these guys.

Take away their IRS exemptions and let them rot in court.

• GregAllen says:

I don’t think the bible says anything about frocking them in the first place.

But it does say to not harm children.

6. shooff says:

Thomas More (I’m an expert) would have demanded that the arch bishops of Phili, Cleveland, Boston, and LA would be held in the tower of London and beheaded or starved to death.

Too bad the NCAA could n’t give the death penalty to that ancient pedo ring.

7. The Engineer says:

Look at history. The Roman Catholic Church has always been a power structure. Any organized religion becomes one sooner or later. In the middle ages, the church controlled much of Europe, and dictated policy to Kings. This is no different. They are attempting to force their beliefs on the public. Sorry, not buying it.

And yes, I was born and raised Roman Catholic. The church hierarchy can pray all they want to do Gods will, but in the end, the good and the bad, are the decisions of Men, not God’s will.

Just notice how convenient it is for any religious leader to say “This is Gods will, do what I tell you”.

• TJ the former Catholic says:

In a way I think it is their duty to influence policy so I don’t begrudge them that. It’s a duty that we all share.

Totally agree that in the end what they are doing is the decision of men and may or may not be God’s will.

And when I say “men” I don’t mean “men” in the generic human sense, I mean “men” in the specific gender sense. The Catholic church has a lack of women in leadership positions by decree and while I agree that they are sort of stuck with the positions they have historically taken, they can choose which fights to fight.

To push the abortion, gay marriage, and birth control issues is a decision made by those currently in power in the Catholic church. It’s a reflection of what’s important to them, not God.

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

You post as if god exists. Little dissonance?

I too was twisted as a youth. Still a struggle. Not a religious one but entirely parallel. Fun to “observe” almost as a third party….. but its ME! That creeping niggling recognition that what I think is shit and I need to change. It still comes slowly.

Yea, verily.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Your argument is irrational. You propose Catholics serve God as they understand Him, by violating what they believe He taught them, and that will prove they put God above themselves?

Just the opposite.

An analogy. Serve the cause of pro choice, free contraception, etc….by reaching out to Christians advocating chastity…to prove what a free thinking liberal you are.

Won’t your fellow liberals consider you a traitor to their cause.

Yes, they will.

So will God.

I am not a Catholic. So my analysis of your argument should carry some weight with you….its irrational…you cannot uphold a set of beliefs, by denying those beliefs are to be believed…

That would be self contradiction.

• TJ the former Catholic says:

I don’t see things as black and white. I see things in shades of gray.

There are values ingrained in me as part of my Catholic upbringing that sometimes come into conflict with each other. Don’t you find that some of your values come into conflict as well?

At that point you cannot support both positions. You have to choose. Some values are more closely held than others. So no, I can not support everything the Church does. It itself recognizes that it is not perfect.

Ultimately, that is what lead to my questioning my beliefs and casting some of them aside.

To me that is completely rational. It’s maddeningly rational to those who argue from an emotional standpoint.

As to your analogy. I’m not on any “side” though my beliefs may more closely align with one group over another. Looking at the world and splitting it into “US” and “THEM” is a sure way to impede dialog and progress on tough issues. Since I’m not on a side, I can’t be a traitor.

So yes, I WOULD advocate to liberal groups that they should embrace ways to reduce the number of abortions performed and accept that chastity is ONE approach to that end.

I have a soon to be teen. He will likely be facing the choice of becoming sexually active very soon. We advocate abstinence. We will not support him becoming sexually active but at the same time will let him know that an even worse choice than becoming active too soon is to do so without protection.

Some people see that as condoning teen sex. I don’t.

As far a God and Jesus in particular go, I feel I lead a life that often more closely adheres to his teachings that what the Catholic Church would proscribe. Yet I’m basically an agnostic.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Your rebuttal begged the question…I didn’t say you are irrational, I said you argue the Catholic church should be irrational, to gain converts.

That it should moderate its beliefs to gain a wider acceptance.

They can’t do that as they believe their dogma divinely arrived at, whether by direct revelation in scripture or via their Magisterium or Sacred Tradition.

It would be irrational for them to take your advice, they cannot gain believers in their dogma, by contradicting that dogma when reaching out.

That you have joined the many who found Catholicism wanting, and became Protestants, Orthodox, or other…and left them, if a rational response consistent with your beliefs.

As for your teen, after training them in the way they should go, its on them to choose.

Analogous to an agnostic….is a dog furiously chasing its tail, round and round. They ask, “what think you of God,” and if you reply they will say “what do you know.”

Yet agnostics never tire of asking, even though they will never accept anyone knows enough to answer. That’s unsatisfying.

I was raised an agnostic, and became a Christian because the evidence against evolution is overwhelming, and when I opened the scripture, its words possessed a Divine energy and power I couldn’t deny.

I hope you learn, buried deep in Catholicism, also Protestantism…is “believe in Jesus Christ, and you will be saved.”

That is the truth you must find, and then, God will save, even a wretch like me.

8. Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

I agree, the Marxist Democrat party of today, unlike the Catholic approved party of JFK, is intrinsically evil.

• TJ the former Catholic says:

Oh my…

Are you talking about the JFK that said this?

“I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute — where no Catholic prelate would tell the President (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishoners for whom to vote — where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference — and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the President who might appoint him or the people who might elect him. ”

Do you know that there are some conspiracy theories that link the Vatican to the murder of JFK? Look up JFK and the “Secret Society”. I think it’s bunk that comes from the same sort of folk that that Obama is not a U.S. citizen, but there are people who believe it.

And do you realize that if you were to ask an actual Marxist what they thought of the Democratic party, they would tell you that Republicans and Democrats are just different sides of the same capitalist coin?

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Obama isn’t a citizen…if you believe Obama, that was on the cover of his book…”born in Kenya”

Its why he won’t release his college records, they would show foreign student loans…

His BC was totally proven a fraud by Sheriff Joe.

However, Catholics were mostly Democrats until Obama turned against their church.

It doesn’t matter if they don’t practice what the pope preaches, they don’t like it when Government persecutes their church…even if they agree on contraception.

Catholics are voting in droves for Romney, who will respect the right of all religions to be free from Government tryanny.

• TJ the former Catholic says:

Sorry, you’re just wrong.

Catholics were primarily Democrats only until about 1960 and have pretty much followed the general electorate ever since at least as far as presidential elections go. Prior to 1960 it was really the fact that Catholics tended to be blue collar/union folk that lead them to vote Democratic. That has changed.

Today, they are a diverse voting block and neither party aligns neatly with Catholic teachings anyway.

Catholics are either pro-Obamacare or not. The effect it has on Catholic institutions providing health insurance has angered some to be sure, but the ones angered were most likely against Obamacare anyway.

Others see Obamacare as welcome change along the path of social justice.

Don’t confuse the actions of some Catholic Bishops, who are rewarded for supporting the currently conservative Pope, as representative of American Catholics as a whole.

Under a different Pope you might see a completely different emphasis.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

What Obama is doing against Catholics, is directly against the First Amendment that protects us all.

Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox, Others…are joining forces to beat back the attack on our religious freedoms…

We can go back to trying to convert each other later…right now we have bigger fist to fry….Obamacuda.

If you doubt we are uniting….look how evangelicals are backing Romney, a Mormon….and how Romney chose a Catholic for a VP…

We are uniting politically, so preserve our religious diversity…

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

re Conservative Popes, I respect them more than liberals…

While a Conservative pope might label Protestants heretics…separated brethren…and conservative protestants return the favor…

At least they are consistent with their respective beliefs.

If you don’t believe it, don’t expect I will grant you a hearing…liberals contradict their faith when they water it down…as Christ said:

34 “Salt is good; but if the salt has lost its flavor, how shall it be seasoned?
            35 “It is neither fit for the land nor for the dunghill, but men throw it out. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”

(Luk 14:34-35 NKJ)

So although a Protestant, I respect conservative Catholics….they are consistent with their beliefs…moderation in religion is no religion at all.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Another aspect, Conservative Catholics, those who truly believe, and kindred spirits with me.

I truly believe what I profess.

And Conservatives are honest, that is, true to their principle of loving truth. Conservatives believe because they are convinced it is true.

Liberals really have no belief…they can discard and adopt opposing beliefs, at will…to be liked and accepted.

So it would do me no good to argue religion with a liberal…who in the final analysis, believes nothing absolutely….

But a conservative Catholic, can be reached with a good argument…just as I can…if a sound point is made, I’ll have to deal with it if it contradicts what I believe…and so will a Conservative Catholic….

We can have a truly beneficial discussion of religion…

while a liberal really doesn’t care if its sound or not…he’s just trying to gain acceptance…all arguments with their proofs are a waste of everyone’s time.

“are kindred spirits”

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

JFK didn’t imply the Catholic church had no authority, only that it has none over the President of the United States.

In spite of his sexual escapades, I’m sure he heeded his Catholic belief in many areas.

Never did he say Catholicism didn’t have legitimate authority, only that he wouldn’t allow it move him to do what was bad for the USA.

I mentioned JFK because, until recently, most Catholics were Democrats….and the party of JFK was much like Republicans today…

For example, JFK stimulated the economy via tax cuts and regulatory relief…and it worked…and he clearly believe in Capitalism…and the space program…ect…

He is more like Romney than any Democrat today…

So JFK implied my theme, that Catholics are rethinking their Democrat party affiliation because the party has left them….ventured into Marxism and hatred against Catholicism….

And Republicans welcome them with open arms. As a Tea Party Dude, a Protestant…I welcome Catholic brothers and sisters, lets us join and fight the good fight against the foreign adversary that seeks to bring our country down, and enslave us all…

• TJ the former Catholic says:

Yes, very popular with some Republicans to think of JFK has supply sider because he advocated for tax cuts. Some context is necessary.

The highest marginal tax rate when Kennedy came to power was 91% as compared to 35% today. The 91% rate was largely a holdover from the WWII (which was quite expensive).

He advocated dropping it to 65%, – almost double what it is today. Still think he’s like Romney?

He was a Keynesian.

• TJ the former Catholic says:

Oh and it should be said that starting with Reagan, there was a huge shift away from liberalism (from an economic perspective) in this country.

Democrats that have come since including Clinton and Obama by and large haven’t changed that.

Obama isn’t any more of Marxist than Nixon was.

• GregAllen says:

TJ,

In some regards, Nixon was _less_ free-market than Obama. Nixon imposed wage and price controls.

The irony is that Democrats are now the party of traditional, conservative economic policies.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Obama’s dream from his father is socialist, he was a dues paying member of the “new Party” in the 90’s.

He talks the talk, and by destroying our economy, walking the walk.

There is no other explanation for the crap he does, many times under the radar via his regulatory agencies. They are shutting down coal, preventing oil drilling on public lands and off the coasts.

Latest example is Obama’s stopping American ships from being built:

Obama’s War against the American Economy doesn’t make sense if the premise is he is an American President with the best interests of the US at heart…

But if he is the proverbial Manchurian Candidate, working behind enemy lines as he saw himself in his only real other job….then it makes perfect sense to stop energy production here, and industrial projects, and farm them out to the third world.

Like a good anticolonialist would.

There is no doubt Obama’s America, 2016 revealed his true agenda, and that is to diminish the US till its just another third world country.

• GregAllen says:

You gotta be a whole pile ‘o stupid if you confuse the Democrats with Marxists.

• TJ the former Catholic says:

I suggest that anyone who’d be tempted to call Obama a Marxist and wishes to be taken seriously, do the following:

1. Find a chapter of the US Socialist Party

2. contact them and ask if Obama and/or his policies reflect Socialist positions.

Otherwise just be honest with yourselves and acknowledge that all you’re doing is fear mongering.

• MikeN says:

So he hasn’t managed to implement the full Marxist vision in 3 years, therefore he is not a Marxist?

Spread the wealth around, how to redistribute,
          and his policies of sending money from the suburbs to the cities, where Cleveland is Ground Zero, to be expanded in a second term when he has more flexibility, all show his Marxist intentions. He was a member of the Socialist New Party.

• TJ the former Catholic says:

During the first 3 years of the Obama administration the government sector of the American economy shrunk (for the first time in 40 years).

If’s he’s a Marxist, he’s a pretty crappy one.

Why stop at claiming he’s a Marxist from Kenya? If we’re just going to make stuff up, I’m sure we could do better than that.

Oh, interesting factoid. Did you know that the Pledge of Allegiance was written by a Socialist?

• TJ the former Catholic says:

Again, don’t rely on information from sources with an obvious agenda.

Ask an actual socialist or marxist. Not too many around anymore, but they can still be found and they still run candidates. There are 3 Socialist/Marxist parties I’ve found who’ve nominated a presidential canditate for 2012.

None of these candidates are named Barack Obama.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

You nailed their illogic, discounting everything Obama says, and does…to maintain the illusion he isn’t socialist.

And the way he refers to Mohammed as “the prophet” and makes him alone worthy of protecting against defamation…leads me to believe he is a Muslim…pretending to be Christian just as he pretends to love this country.

He hates it, that is clear from his actions.

Not his words, only when off teleprompter does the true Obama “leak out.”

9. deowll says:

The vote over the changes to the party platform underlined what a look at a map showing Anti-theists as compared to red/blue states would show. The Anti-theists and the Arab Americans are taking over the Democrat party.

If you are a practicing Catholic or Christian of any flavor or even a Hindu, Jew, or Buddhist expect to get abused as should be clear by the kind words posted by many thoughtful members sharing their views here.

• MikeN says:

The Hollywood actress who endorsed Romney has been receiving all sort of hate-mail. The liberals are really unloading their racist vocabulary which they have forced to repress on account of the fact that blacks vote Democrat

• GregAllen says:

I totally condemn anyone who sends her racist emails.

But how many were there? One weird guy? A couple?

As any liberal guest on Fox will tell you, every appearance is followed by an inbox jammed with hate mail.

The Left and Right are not the same, in this regard.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Affirmative action proves the Democrat party never forgot its plantation roots. The premise for affirmative action, is bigoted low expectation, the idea blacks can’t make it on their own because they are inferior.

And only the insane rely on the beneficiaries of affirmative action, for investment, legal or medical advice.

10. Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Another tell Obama is marxist, are the videos of him speaking Marxist platitudes and programs pre 2008. When speaking on these subjects, its from the heart and he doesn’t pause between words, his speech is quick and precise.

When hiding his true thoughts, Obama hesitates often, with a cadence that fools liberals who mistake the pauses for “deep thought”. In reality he is searching for words that don’t come natural to him. Especially when proclaiming his love for America and its capitalist system.

11. MikeN says:

This is why the Catholic Church makes such statements.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

That is irrefutable evidence the “intrinsically evil” charge correct.

• Nezumi says:

Yep, a SuperPAC ad that’s under no legal requirement to be honest or accurate and which hasn’t even been fact-checked by anyone yet is irrefutable evidence. I’d be more persuaded by claims that Barack Obama is secretly the Loch Ness Monster.

• Nezumi says:

Even if it is accurate, you’re drawing false equivalence between the views of one member of the Democratic party, and the position of the entire party. And, as stated above, it’s currently very dubious that it’s accurate.

• TJ the former Catholic says:

Of course it’s irrefutable. So is the youtube video I’m making myself.

It features an interview with a women impregnated by Romney as a youth while he was attending a weekend conference for the Socialist Worker party. She wanted to have the baby but he refused to support her and instead pressured her into getting an abortion.

• TJ the former Catholic says:

Oh, by the way, what I posted above was complete nonsense.

I know there’s a tendency for some to believe anything they read on the Internet that fits their world view so I thought I should make that clear.

12. Somebody says:

Intrinsically Evil, yes to be sure.

But is it less intrinsically evil?

That’s what’s getting my vote.

13. Rick says:

Ironic, since the Catholic Church has Jesus as its savior. Jesus was an anti-establishment hippy socialist who said rich people would never make it to heaven.

Republicans have turned out the be the complete antithesis of every teaching Jesus Christ ever made. Even in the biggest hot button abortion, the GOP exacerbates the problem by fighting against sex education, family planning and birth control, all of which are effective at reducing abortion.