A northern Indiana man who allegedly threatened to “kill as many people as he could” at an elementary school near his home was arrested by officers who later found 47 guns and ammunition hidden throughout his home.

Von. I. Meyer, 60, of Cedar Lake, was arrested Saturday after prosecutors filed formal charges of felony intimidation, domestic battery and resisting law enforcement against him. He was being held Sunday without bond at the Lake County Jail, pending an initial hearing on the charges…

Cedar Lake Police officers were called to Meyer’s home early Friday after he allegedly threatened to set his wife on fire once she fell asleep…

Meyer also threatened to enter nearby Jane Ball Elementary School “and kill as many people as he could before police could stop him,” the statement said. Meyer’s home is less than 1,000 feet from the school and linked to it by trails and paths through a wooded area, police said.

Police said in the statement that they notified school officials and boosted security at all area schools Friday – the same day 26 people, including 20 students, were shot and killed at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.

On Saturday, officers served warrants at Meyer’s home and arrested him. The statement said police had learned that Meyer kept many weapons in his older, two-story home and “is a known member of the Invaders Motorcycle Gang.”

Officers searched the home, finding 47 guns and ammunition worth more than $100,000 hidden throughout the home…

Just in case you thought we may encounter a shortage of violent gun nuts.

1. MikeN says:

Armed people are citizens, disarmed ones are subjects.

• Dallas says:

Weep. We’re gonna take away your Tommy Gun and if you’re good, we’ll give you a GI Joe with one outfit.

2. orchidcup says:

Little kids are killed every day in automobile accidents. Probably hundreds, if not thousands, every year. Year after year.

I don’t hear anybody screaming for the control of the sale and manufacture of automobiles. Automobiles don’t kill people, it is people that kill people.

The problem is not guns or automobiles.

The problem is sick, fucked-up low-life people.

3. LibertyLover says:

Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people, 19 of which were children under the age of 6. 800 more were injured.

He didn’t use a gun. He used fertilizer and a U-Haul truck. Using gun control logic, all U-Hauls and Fertilizer should be outlawed because Fertilizer and U-Hauls kill people.

Here is a fairly complete list of mass killings.

There are plenty of links to do some research. Not a single one of them occurred in a location where the victims were known to be armed. Coincidence? If you believe the media, yes.

If you truly want to stop these kinds of atrocities, you must give people a way to defend themselves.

For schools, I would arm half a dozen or so teachers. Make them members of the local Police Auxiliary and train them in responding to these types of situations. I know plenty of people who are reserve police officers with regular jobs (preachers, teachers, lawyers, engineers, you name it).

Murders are going to happen. You can’t stop them. You can stop a murder from turning into a massacre, though.

• Captain Obvious says:

Why not arm the kids? Every per-schooler should be able to return fire.

• LibertyLover says:

Strawman.

Come up with a real argument and I’ll take you seriously. Until then, you’re just a joker in the deck that should be ignored on the side of the table.

• Captain Obvious says:

Like setting up a militia in a Kindergarten?

• Captain Obvious says:

Seriously though (cause you’re a smart guy), putting enough firepower into elementary schools to defend against a nutcase with military grade weapons and body armor is just nuts.

Test: go ask 10 mothers with young children in school. It’s a point of view that’s really put of touch with reality.

• LibertyLover says:

Actually, every mother I’ve talked to is ok with it. I haven’t run into one yet (and I’m involved with the school board in my area and the city management).

Case in point, my wife’s cousin is a school teacher and her father (wife’s uncle) is a cop. Both are for it.

This is something that is probably going to happen in this area in the next few months.

You are thinking worse case scenario, a gloom and doom kinda opinion. These are the same arguments that have been brought up time and time and time again and the problems have never materialized. Utah, Israel, airplanes, different school districts in Texas, concealed carry, etc.

“Oh, my God it’s is the end of civilization as we know it!”

Hasn’t happened.

Lunatics like that don’t attack people who are willing to fight back. Why do you think they go after schools?

• Dallas says:

The problem with your solutions is you never accept tackling the problem from the source. You’re like a quack doctor that only prescribes an even stronger dose of pain killer.

In your solution, you arm the schools. If that fails, you have everyone wear body armor, then you place schools in underground bunkers.

How about doing both? Y&es, perhaps arm schools at this point because there are 300Million guns out there.

But, (this is where you tune in)….stem the flow of increasingly lethal weapons going to the hands of the sheeple.

• Mr Diesel says:

Arming the teachers or parent volunteers works in Israel, why not here? No mass school shootings since 1974 when they instituted the policy.

I’m asking.

• LibertyLover says:

Yes, that was good article!

Key entries for the lazy:

There was a terrorist attack on an Israeli school in 2002, but it was quickly stopped with the help of an armed teacher.

[...]

The United States Post Office adopted the gun-free-zone concept some 30 years ago to protect its employees. Unfortunately, rather than protect, its weapon ban simply increased the casualties by depriving all the intended victims of a means of self-defense. The number of casualties during these shootings was dramatic and the term “going postal” emerged.

[...]

After the Aurora, Colo., theater shooting, one investigator found that the only theater for miles around that had a “No Weapons” sign was the one in which the mass shooter chose to wreak havoc.

• LibertyLover says:

The source of the problem is not the guns. Read my first paragraph. McVeigh didn’t use any guns and he killed more people than all of the mass shootings in America combined. Where’s your solution for that?

Why should the debate on this not point to the over 10,000 armed airline pilots in the skies every day. The “doom and gloom” folks predicted a “shoot out at 35000 feet” Guess what Hoss, it hasn’t happened and the Armed Pilot program is one of the safest, most cost effective programs EVER run by the government.

I think it could be a model for an armed teacher program across the country.

If you aren’t afraid to have a police officer in the school, why would you be afraid to have teachers who are ALSO trained as police officers in the school?

Could it be because it is easier to point to something concrete instead of addressing the root cause?

• MikeN says:

Liberals are afraid to have police officers in school. Oakland School System passed a policy that all police that come to school must be unarmed.

4. Dallas says:

Your assertion that having armed pilots is directly responsible for no armed airline attacks is hollow. I know you don’t believe this either but rather provided something to rest your case that teachers packing heat is a sound idea.

The ONLY reason why arming teachers has even a shred of rational consideration is because there are 300 Million guns already out there and growing. That idea quickly becomes a total hairball only Alphie will defend when you factor in the impracticality of arming, training and safety concerns of having weapons in classrooms.

Determined, skilled and often intelligent people will find a way to shoot up what they want. What we are trying to stop are the loons, the heat of the moment fools, the hormonal teenagers getting easy access to military weapons.

The Israeli example is also a bad example. That is a small country , in perpetual war and where all of their citizens have some sort of military training – and they’re intelligent.

I’m in somewhat support of having a trained officer at schools but my bet he is the first one to get shot dead.

• LibertyLover says:

I asserted no such thing. You assumed that because you think that way.

I asserted that we didn’t have firefights at 35,000 feet when that was the major argument against arming the pilots.

Likewise, arming the teachers is not going to turn a school into a shooting gallery, which seems to be everybody’s fear.

You are absolutely correct. However, none of the cases in history, upon which you are basing your argument, have involved a skilled and intelligent person. They’ve all been lunatics. If they really wanted to make a point, they should have attacked a police station.

I am proposing giving the teachers the same training, geared specifically toward stopping these kinds of situations. You put half a dozen anonymous armed and trained men in any school and that school will never suffer what the last few unlucky ones have. If it tastes like duck and smells like ducks and quacks like duck, isn’t a duck?

And you couldn’t be more wrong about the cop being shot first. Cops have been used in high schools for years and the ones with cops have not been attacked since. The attacks have been targeting schools and areas without protection.

• LibertyLover says:

BTW . . . still waiting for your solution to the McVeigh scenario.

• bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

Applying McVey—you say gun control makes no sense because McVey blew up chicken shit?

Same argument: no reason not to allow BAZOOKAS, TANK MOUNTED FLAME THROWERS, THERMONUCLEAR DEVICES.

After all–McVey used chicken shit. Which kinda reminds me of what you have for brains.

Silly Hooman.

5. Captain Obvious says:

Technically arming teachers could work. In reality, it turns every American community into a war zone. That’s not the world that most people want to live in.

• LibertyLover says:

You lock your door at night. You lock your car. You have an alarm system.

You’ve got predators out there who want to take whatever you have as soon as you turn your back.

You can be a victim or you can choose to defend yourself.

Your choice.

I choose to defend myself and my family and my community.

• LibertyLover says:

And, for the record, I prefer to live in a world populated with unicorns shitting rainbows, too.

But I’m a practical man — knowing that world will never materialize, I choose the method that offers the best protection.

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

Really? What do you get out of shitting Unicorns? Pedro has his donkey. Appears there is a whole subculture out there in admiration of quadripeds.

I too am a practical man. I think I can best protect myself by getting guns out of society and locking up those who violate the direct appreciation of causation.

We disagree.

Solution: Put it to a vote. You lose.

Silly Gun Loving Goons.

6. MikeN says:

Start by taking guns away from liberals. Just yesterday news of an arrest of one liberal who called up Congressmen and threatened violence because he disagreed with their politics. Let’s start by disarming the liberals, and see what the impact is.

• LibertyLover says:

It had to have been a squirt gun.

• bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

Gun Nut: Hello My Congressman. I hate that you have given up your perfect NRA rating and now want to ban 100 bullet drums. I’m coming to DC to empty my drum all over your dumbass.

Congressman Receptionist: Thank you for your call. Congressman wants to provide you with the bestest service ever but first, can you tell me if you think people have a basic right to access food, clothing, shelter, education, and healthcare?

Gun Nut: Oh Hell No. With enough guns, you don’t need that stuff.

Congressional Recptionist: Whew. Thank goodness. For a minute there I thought you might be a liberal. May I send you a map of DC with a list of local attractions.

Gun Nut: Hell No. With a gun, I can get that stuff my own self. Damn gubment give away programs.

7. MikeN says:

Suppose Lanza had sent an e-mail explaining his plans to his mother. He ends up shooting her after she objects. Do you think it is a good thing that the government intercepts the e-mail and stops the shooting?