Stephan Stowe, 17, was charged with harassment after telling Jewish rider ‘They should have killed all of you.’ Police also wrestled a woman to the ground and arrested her after angry onlookers swarmed the station’s platform, snapping video and yelling at cops during the incident. The attempted arrest of an allegedly hate-mongering teen aboard a Brooklyn subway quickly turned into a wild showdown between cops and a roiled mob, according to sources and video obtained by the Daily News.

The melee began when suspect Stephan Stowe, 17, and a group of eight friends approached a Jewish man wearing a yarmulke aboard a Brooklyn-bound 3 train just before 3 p.m. Monday, police sources said Wednesday.

“Assalamu Alaikum,” Stowe said to the man, using a common greeting among Muslims that means, “Peace be with you,” court documents allege.

When the man ignored the greeting, Stowe allegedly became combative.

And you Yanks think Southerners are effing crazy?

1. orchidcup says:

If someone greeted me in a foreign language I would not respond.

I would have no idea what they were saying.

This is why humans need to evolve into an intelligent species.

Maybe in 6 million years or so this nonsense will not exist.

2. Nothing new says:

A sea of cell phones capturing the moment, posted here for your enjoyment.

I say, give them all a free taze and a wood shampoo.

3. jpfitz says:

No one was hung from a tree or shot, there’s the difference between the north and south.

• deowll says:

I suggest you go on line and read about the NY draft riots in 1863. That way you won’t sound like a total ignoramus.

• jpfitz says:

I am ignorant, I don’t have all the historical facts learned, but comparing the racial tensions of the north and south, I’ll stand my ground. The south has a horrible past, like lynching, interacial marriage bans and dragging a black man behind a pick up truck ripping the epidermis from his body till dead. Texas, you oughta be especially proud.

McCullough, you made the statement trying to paint the south as less racist, you can’t win that argument. Yeah, we have our racial problems up here now and in the past, but the south is still trying to rise again.

• jpfitz says:

I know there are a lot of Texans and southerners on this blog, I believe none of you are racists or nuts. My comment above was a generalization, not pointing any fingers.

Peace, live and let live.

• Alex says:

It may have been more overt in the South at one time, but exists everywhere in the world among all cultures. All cultures enslaved others at some point in history. Read up on what’s currently going on with the Pygmy people in the Congo. The South aint got nothing on the Bantu.

• McCullough says:

Right, NYC Cops have never gunned down an innocent unarmed black man.

• Mikey says:

Or the black dude who was ass raped with a broom handle….

4. So What? says:

So either Mr. Stowe doesn’t know the difference between an muslim greeting and a yiddish greeting or he doesn’t understand the difference between the muslim and jewish religions or he thought he was being cute in front of his friends or more likely he was just being an asshole. The word douche comes to mind.

5. noname says:

Stupidity is too dumb to stop at the Mason Dixon line!

6. Ack says:

yep – she should be arrested for interfering with the officers duty. she was restrained with the minimum required force. all above board.

the crowd approaching riot levels… yeah, I’d be pretty f’ing scared if I was one of those cops.

7. Captain Obvious says:

Southerners are crazy. That’s why I like them. I especially like the way girls talk in that sweet Southern style on a hot summer night.

8. Mr Diesel says:

Actually the police were very restrained, last time cops had someone down like that in a subway in San Francisco the cop shot him on the ground. Ooopsy

9. Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Isn’t it grand electing Obama ended the racial divide, he’s proved to be such a uniter and not a divider. Never a class war would he start.

• Captain Obvious says:

LOL. I think you’re proof positive that people aren’t willing to let go of racial divides and class warfare.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Christianity is where “all men are created equal” arose, its leftist who are the true racists to the core…everything they do is about race, its all they talk about…its how they dole out cash…or grant education…

Ask those fighting if they are Republicans…

We know what their answer would be.

Everyone does.

• Captain Obvious says:

Thomas Hobbes might disagree with you about the origin of the phrase, as well most of the early Greek philosophers, Roman common law, and drafters of the Magna Carta.

However I’m merely pointing out to you that as long as you’re obsessed with Obama’s ethnicity and race no one will take you seriously. Oprah is over it, so should you.

• So What? says:

You know better, we stopped taking alfie seriously a long time ago for a variety of reasons.

10. I_Fart_Huckabees says:

Japanese subways are less frightening.

11. noname says:

If don’t mind inhaling sarin and you like groping, it sure is!

12. Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

While race might have played a role, this was Islamic harassment of a Jew, and I blame liberals for this.

• noname says:

Of course you blame liberals!

I am sure you blame Santa Clause, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny for global warming too!

Repukes were never ones to be constrained by facts or reality.

Being the good Repuke, you can invent your fantasies and facts as you wish them to be!

• pedro says:

two cooks blaming each other team of ill doing. hilarious!

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Its elementary, if everyone could carry a concealed weapon, everyone would be a lot more polite.

Too bad God didn’t equip babies with a side arm, there wouldn’t be any abortions.

Liberal racists misdirect from real solutions to these problems, to their own detriment.

Because they refuse to confront radical Islam, and crush any manifestation of it…it will devour us all.

Its elementary how to fix this, the hate crime against the Jew must be dealt with severely, and publicized everywhere low information citizens congregate…like they attacked cigarets…lets attack Islamic violence…before its too late.

• noname says:

Yeah cause you know the wild west wasn’t an insane place where psychos could challenge you to a shootout over stepping on their shoe.

Have fun also in murder trials when everything will come down to, ‘Well he/she pulled out his gun first.’ Simplistic Repuke single cell thinking, ‘arm all of society’.

BS, society would be any but polite, just look at Repuke “Truthyness” and extrapolate!

13. Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Clearly subway police need non lethal chemical spray, stun guns and the ability to close subway doors.

But liberals won’t address any solutions for this, they will blame whites, like the racists pigs they really are.

• noname says:

Still mad Obama won?

It must be hard being an always angry loser!

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Was Obama mentioned there?

No, but I forgive you.

Since the air was sucked out of your head—

You can be excused.

• Alex says:

Obama “won” with approximately 25% of US citizens voting for him. This takes into account that around 50% of citizens did not vote in the last election. Just sayin…most people don’t care for the guy.

• noname says:

Repukes lost big with “with approximately 25% of US citizens not voting for them. This takes into account that around 50% of citizens did not vote in the last election. Just sayin…most people don’t care for them.

14. Chris Mac says:

kinda reminds of the comment section here

15. pedro says:

the religion of love strikes again

• Captain Obvious says:

Which ones? Jews, Christians, Muslims? They are all the same bunch, just different sects.

• Alex says:

The same bunch? How so? Let me guess, you don’t know any Christians, Jews or Moslems….you think you do, but you don’t.

• Captain Obvious says:

Judeo-Christian-Muslims are all the same basic religion. They all worship the same God. They all fight over the same land. They all think Abraham is their father of their religion. Same bunch basically. It’s like the difference between Visa and Mastercard.

You can fight over minor differences in how you practice. Knock yourself out. Everyone needs a hobby.

• orchidcup says:

That is a good analogy.

Good enough to steal.

• B. Dog says:

Yup, that is a fun fact Captain.

• pedro says:

Abraham? Really? Boy, you sure are quite the theologian!

• pedro says:

The ones that put bombs in pressure cookers and other nifty ways

16. George says:

What do you expect? Millions of youths are graduated or otherwise leave public schools every year in this country with little or no knowledge of history, math, reading or other subject that would equip them to function in a modern, technological, multicultural society.

Each of them is imbued with self esteem from a very early age, and yet few of them truly have learned anything that is truly useful. We have a generation of proud dunces. Why would you expect such a person to act with anything other than indifference or even antipathy towards others?

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Very insightful, but not precise.

Liberal racist pigs control our education system, they indoctrinate…not teach, and the result is as you said, proud dunces who are told to blame others for their obvious failure…

The bigotry of low expectations explains every liberal program that only makes these dunces more dependent upon the Democrat party…

It never empowers them to be self sufficient and therefore happy.

That’s consistent, the Democrat Party is the party of the KKK, disguised as caring, but in reality, disarming and enslaving.

• Captain Obvious says:

I’m sure old clansmen have been card carrying Demcrats for the last 40 years. And you think “dem negro folks call you whitey”.

• pedro says:

another one that saw Lincoln and thinks Dems voted against slavery

• Captain Obvious says:

Another one who doesn’t know history. The slimey Democratic core switched over to Republicans courtesy of Buchanan and Nixon.

• Captain Obvious says:

BTW, Lincoln started out as a Whig. You should take a look at their economic platforms, tariff support, and government infrastructure platforms if you’re looking for an eye opener.

• pedro says:

And what the hell does that have to do with the time period I cited or the facts that Dems were pro slavery?

I’m beginning to catch what’s obvious on you

• Captain Obvious says:

If I misread what you said, I’m apologise.

17. Voice of Insanity says:

YES! I still think SOME southerners are crazy as hell! Southern crazy may not be “Zoo York” crazy like in that video. But crazy shit is still crazy shit!

It seems that more of the so called “normal” people are NOT in the extreme ends of the continental U.S. like New York or the New England area. That’s not to say that the more central inhabitants of America don’t have their elements of crazy too. But you have to admit that there is a lot less crazy crap in places like Chicago, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Denver, or even Phoenix when compared to somewhere like Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston or New York.

But the winner for top dog bat shit crazy still has to go the southerners and places like Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama. You can almost see the border for crazy starting at the Mason Dixon line and progressively get more nuts the further south you go. After all, they don’t call it the “Bible Belt” for nothing! (Maybe now, you can see why some people also call it America’s Taliban.)

And if you still have to ask me why southerners are crazy then maybe you too are bat shit nuts! (Of course, just look where you’re reading this too.)

18. Comanche says:

Police have a tough job to do.

19. Uncle Patso says:

I blame Reagan for closing all the mental hospitals and putting the crazies back on the streets (and comment boards).

• Porky Rottenham says:

Those joints should never have been closed. But we didn’t need to leave them closed.

20. Uncle Patso says:

The incident as presented in the Daily News story sounds like a teenager itching to start a fight in front of his friends. Happens every day in every part of the world where there are teenagers without enough to do. The Moslem vs Jew aspect was just an excuse. It might as easily have been Hindu vs Buddhist, Catholic vs Protestant, Indian vs Pakistani, White vs Black, Blood vs Crip, Red Sox vs Yankee, VHS vs Beta, Gnome vs KDE. The problem is that this “us vs them” attitude doesn’t seem to lessen sufficiently with age. Supposedly mature people keep clinging to their differences just as tightly. We see the same behavior among troops of chimpanzees murderously defending their territory, teenage gangs fighting over their turf and the military of every country in the world.

To borrow a phrase from bobbo, Silly Hoomans!

21. Porky Rottenham says:

People who know NY know it is, among other things, a town full of crazies. Residents will tell you, when you walk down the street, never have eye contact. In fact, don’t even look around. Don’t look at anything. If you do, they’ll know you are a tourist.

As for the police, how are the police where you live these days? Like the friendly cop on the beat, c.1951? The man you go to when you’re in trouble? More likely they’re dressed like Delta Force and more dangerous that the crooks.

Last look at the language the press uses. Hate-mongering? Wild showdown? If you know the Daily News, you know what I’m hinting at. Unfortunately, most newspapers are like this today.

The moral? Take this story with a grain of salt.

• bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

Does your advice to “Take this story with a grain of salt” mean that NYC is full of crazies, the Police aren’t to be trusted, or the Media is more disservice than informative?

You really have gone all over the place.

• jpfitz says:

I don’t divert my eyes away from people while walking around NYC. You sound a bit paranoid. Maybe some mirrored shades would suit you. I’m not a tourist, or afraid of the melting pot in NYC. I enjoy striking up conversations with total strangers. So Porky look up when walking the canyons of NYC, you may enjoy the sights and meet some interesting people from around the world.

Oh, yes there are some “crazies” in NYC but that’s what can make the experience fun and new if your a tourist. You sound like either a shy guy or at worst xenophobic.

• Awful! Screaming, roaring, fighting and lots of fuss! I reckon police officers did their job just great!

• hyperkinetic says:

> “Residents will tell you, when you walk down the street, never have eye contact. In fact, don’t even look around. Don’t look at anything. If you do, they’ll know you are a tourist.”

Yeah. If you’re in NYC in 1970. It’s *NOTHING* like that now.

22. bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

jpfitz failing the electric cool ade acid test says:
    4/20/2013 at 10:14 pm

I know there are a lot of Texans and southerners on this blog, /// a few… like a few of everything else.

I believe none of you are racists or nuts. /// whaaaa? Sounds like you are afraid the confidentiality system here at DU will break down and those idiot racists knuckledraggers will have your home address? An all too obvious transparent attempt at crossing the stupid barrier??? Ha, ha.

My comment above was a generalization, not pointing any fingers. /// Yes, general BS. Always high ranking.

Peace, live and let live. /// I’d say that was intentionally ironic given the SUBJECT of this thread, but not your response I have personalized above. But you see jp, unknowingly you have identified the Texas Biggoted dipshits posting here as beneath your willingness to be honest with.

I assume you do know and take them as stupid. Now just recall they are lazy as well…… and stay North of the MD line.

Peace, live, and leave other people the f*ck alone.

• jpfitz says:

Bobbo, hey…don’t blow my cover as a northern elitist, with gleaned from experience hatred for the northern man during a east coat road trip. My trip from NY to the FL keys in 1976 in my 72′ VW micro bus donning Grateful Dead and Rolling Stones bumper stickers was a fine example of the white on white dare I say racism or is it hatred. All I felt when I rolled up to a convenience store with those NY plates and longish hair was hate. I didn’t let the fear control me thinking maybe it’s all in my head or I just ran into the wrong folk. We did meet some nice people on I think Long Key, we fished for our food and camped on the beach and stayed till the money ran out.

I reiterate, not all southerners are racists, and on DU, I’m of the belief most are intelligent and not shit kickers. Well maybe a few.
      Oh yeah, I’m far from a northern elitist and I stand by my live and let live comment.

“Southern Man”

Southern change
      gonna come at last
      Now your crosses
      are burning fast
      Southern man

Lily Belle,
      your hair is golden brown
      I’ve seen your black man
      comin’ round
      Swear by God
      I’m gonna cut him down!
      I heard screamin’
      and bullwhips cracking
      How long? How long?

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

It was Democrats cracking those whips. Remember Senator Byrd etc…

• Majel Barrett says:

Yes, then Johnson decided to reverse the Southern Democrat position on the ‘Negro’ and the Republicans stepped right up to take up the racist slack. And haven’t looked back.

• jpfitz says:

My memory just had a jolt from my long strange trip. My Dad insisted as we were leaving that I take my shotgun along for protection. I resisted but Father knows best? So I wrapped the weapon in a blanket and stowed it under the fold out couch/bed seat in the back. I had forgotten the weapon was there during the trip. If I ran into one of those fellas from Deliverance, maybe I would have remembered about the shotgun.

• bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

I was there in my Cab Over Camper on my 1968 Ford Pick em Up Truck. No stickers. I think I blended in much better than you did. I still got the fish eyed stare though when not spouting the Southern line.

A few good people live everywhere, at every time, in every culture.

Word for the Day: Few.

23. bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

More idiot conflation: take two different things and just opine they are the same.

Like race relations in the North and the South. Yep==they is all the same because you know, you got this subway attack in JewYorkCity and thats just as bad as the KKK still staffing half the police force down south.

But let us have the black man speak for himself?===where do the great majority of Black/Colored people go when they get off the boat? Alabama or Up North?

How many Black families hold their reunions up North rather than the Deep South???

How many Black families are moving back to the South of their memories? ((Yes, there actually has been a few.))

Word for Today: DJango (The “What the f*ck are you Smoking is silent.)

• jpfitz says:

Bobbo, are you dragging a coffin along the MD line and everywhere there’s injustice.

Django: You can clean up the mess, but don’t touch my coffin.

24. eddylu says:

Fuck the pigs!

• jpfitz says:

What did the cops do wrong in your opinion in the video?
      I saw professional behavior under extreme stress especially in such a confining and chaotic mess. If your gripe is about the girl being handcuffed, she was way out of control and would not back off as told by the officers.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

I agree, too bad they didn’t have chemicals to spray on the mob…grossly unprepared for the proud dunces liberals have mass produced via our schools.

• noname says:

“liberals have mass produced via our schools.”

Now I understand why your a conservative!

• jpfitz says:

You’re an idiot, the officers would have been overcome from the chem spray in the confined subway car and tunnel.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Not realizing that doesn’t make me an idiot any more than your doing so makes you a genius.

Logically flawed smear, but I’ll refrain from taking offense, you can’t help it, ever since the accident…when that butterfly crashed into your head, causing you to lose your mind…

• jpfitz says:

I take back the intent and personal attack by my use of an insulting word. I have chronic pain which can cause me to be abrasive and impulsive.

Lol, maybe it was that butterfly.

25. The0ne says:

I vote some of you get out of your basement and head to NYC immediately. Make sure to take the subway.

26. mojo says:

NYC: nice place to visit, if you have money. For a day or two. Then get the hell out. Them folks is crazy.

27. Steve says:

I couldn’t understand what language was on this video and then I decided it must be Cacafonese.

28. Tod Stiles says:

I can’t picture the measured, highly professional response of the police to the marathon bombing happening very many places in the south, and yes I’ve lived many years in both north and south. Just ask Don Siegelman, former governor of Alabama now a political prisoner at the bloody hands of Karl Rove. http://www.donsiegelman.org

• The Monster's Lawyer says:

Tod,
      Don is indeed a political prisoner. The fact that he is in jail now speaks volumes about the Democratic Party’s weakness and them turning their backs on one of their own. A well funded legal assault in defense of Siegelman would probably uncover the true reason and cause of his imprisonment. But like all politicians today, the Dems ran away from him like cockroaches.

• Mikey says:

Yeah, I got your measured highly professional response right here.

• MikeN says:

My gosh, there are still lefties around who believe the story of Karl Rove set up a sting operation to get this Alabama governor out of office. As if he had no other elections to worry about at the time.

I thought all liberals had dropped this line after hearing the witness talk.

29. Glenn E. says:

“Racial Violence”, is a misnomer. I shouldn’t have to point this out. But Jews are not a race. No more than Buddhists are a race. Or Christians are a race. Think about it sometimes. So why are these “hate” or “harassment” charges always being defined as a racial thing. Read your Gulliver’s Travels. This is like the “Big Enders” vs the “Little Enders”. A believe system or philosophy, isn’t a racial classification. Anyone can join. And later, change their mind and leave. No one, to my knowledge, is born believing in a religion. In spite of what their leaders might claim.

30. MikeN says:

Where does John Rocker go for his apology?