Stephan Stowe, 17, was charged with harassment after telling Jewish rider ‘They should have killed all of you.’ Police also wrestled a woman to the ground and arrested her after angry onlookers swarmed the station’s platform, snapping video and yelling at cops during the incident. The attempted arrest of an allegedly hate-mongering teen aboard a Brooklyn subway quickly turned into a wild showdown between cops and a roiled mob, according to sources and video obtained by the Daily News.

The melee began when suspect Stephan Stowe, 17, and a group of eight friends approached a Jewish man wearing a yarmulke aboard a Brooklyn-bound 3 train just before 3 p.m. Monday, police sources said Wednesday.

“Assalamu Alaikum,” Stowe said to the man, using a common greeting among Muslims that means, “Peace be with you,” court documents allege.

When the man ignored the greeting, Stowe allegedly became combative.

And you Yanks think Southerners are effing crazy?

1. Porky Rottenham says:

People who know NY know it is, among other things, a town full of crazies. Residents will tell you, when you walk down the street, never have eye contact. In fact, don’t even look around. Don’t look at anything. If you do, they’ll know you are a tourist.

As for the police, how are the police where you live these days? Like the friendly cop on the beat, c.1951? The man you go to when you’re in trouble? More likely they’re dressed like Delta Force and more dangerous that the crooks.

Last look at the language the press uses. Hate-mongering? Wild showdown? If you know the Daily News, you know what I’m hinting at. Unfortunately, most newspapers are like this today.

The moral? Take this story with a grain of salt.

• bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

Does your advice to “Take this story with a grain of salt” mean that NYC is full of crazies, the Police aren’t to be trusted, or the Media is more disservice than informative?

You really have gone all over the place.

• jpfitz says:

I don’t divert my eyes away from people while walking around NYC. You sound a bit paranoid. Maybe some mirrored shades would suit you. I’m not a tourist, or afraid of the melting pot in NYC. I enjoy striking up conversations with total strangers. So Porky look up when walking the canyons of NYC, you may enjoy the sights and meet some interesting people from around the world.

Oh, yes there are some “crazies” in NYC but that’s what can make the experience fun and new if your a tourist. You sound like either a shy guy or at worst xenophobic.

• Awful! Screaming, roaring, fighting and lots of fuss! I reckon police officers did their job just great!

• hyperkinetic says:

> “Residents will tell you, when you walk down the street, never have eye contact. In fact, don’t even look around. Don’t look at anything. If you do, they’ll know you are a tourist.”

Yeah. If you’re in NYC in 1970. It’s *NOTHING* like that now.

2. bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

jpfitz failing the electric cool ade acid test says:
    4/20/2013 at 10:14 pm

I know there are a lot of Texans and southerners on this blog, /// a few… like a few of everything else.

I believe none of you are racists or nuts. /// whaaaa? Sounds like you are afraid the confidentiality system here at DU will break down and those idiot racists knuckledraggers will have your home address? An all too obvious transparent attempt at crossing the stupid barrier??? Ha, ha.

My comment above was a generalization, not pointing any fingers. /// Yes, general BS. Always high ranking.

Peace, live and let live. /// I’d say that was intentionally ironic given the SUBJECT of this thread, but not your response I have personalized above. But you see jp, unknowingly you have identified the Texas Biggoted dipshits posting here as beneath your willingness to be honest with.

I assume you do know and take them as stupid. Now just recall they are lazy as well…… and stay North of the MD line.

Peace, live, and leave other people the f*ck alone.

• jpfitz says:

Bobbo, hey…don’t blow my cover as a northern elitist, with gleaned from experience hatred for the northern man during a east coat road trip. My trip from NY to the FL keys in 1976 in my 72′ VW micro bus donning Grateful Dead and Rolling Stones bumper stickers was a fine example of the white on white dare I say racism or is it hatred. All I felt when I rolled up to a convenience store with those NY plates and longish hair was hate. I didn’t let the fear control me thinking maybe it’s all in my head or I just ran into the wrong folk. We did meet some nice people on I think Long Key, we fished for our food and camped on the beach and stayed till the money ran out.

I reiterate, not all southerners are racists, and on DU, I’m of the belief most are intelligent and not shit kickers. Well maybe a few.
      Oh yeah, I’m far from a northern elitist and I stand by my live and let live comment.

“Southern Man”

Southern change
      gonna come at last
      Now your crosses
      are burning fast
      Southern man

Lily Belle,
      your hair is golden brown
      I’ve seen your black man
      comin’ round
      Swear by God
      I’m gonna cut him down!
      I heard screamin’
      and bullwhips cracking
      How long? How long?

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

It was Democrats cracking those whips. Remember Senator Byrd etc…

• Majel Barrett says:

Yes, then Johnson decided to reverse the Southern Democrat position on the ‘Negro’ and the Republicans stepped right up to take up the racist slack. And haven’t looked back.

• jpfitz says:

My memory just had a jolt from my long strange trip. My Dad insisted as we were leaving that I take my shotgun along for protection. I resisted but Father knows best? So I wrapped the weapon in a blanket and stowed it under the fold out couch/bed seat in the back. I had forgotten the weapon was there during the trip. If I ran into one of those fellas from Deliverance, maybe I would have remembered about the shotgun.

• bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

I was there in my Cab Over Camper on my 1968 Ford Pick em Up Truck. No stickers. I think I blended in much better than you did. I still got the fish eyed stare though when not spouting the Southern line.

A few good people live everywhere, at every time, in every culture.

Word for the Day: Few.

3. bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

More idiot conflation: take two different things and just opine they are the same.

Like race relations in the North and the South. Yep==they is all the same because you know, you got this subway attack in JewYorkCity and thats just as bad as the KKK still staffing half the police force down south.

But let us have the black man speak for himself?===where do the great majority of Black/Colored people go when they get off the boat? Alabama or Up North?

How many Black families hold their reunions up North rather than the Deep South???

How many Black families are moving back to the South of their memories? ((Yes, there actually has been a few.))

Word for Today: DJango (The “What the f*ck are you Smoking is silent.)

• jpfitz says:

Bobbo, are you dragging a coffin along the MD line and everywhere there’s injustice.

Django: You can clean up the mess, but don’t touch my coffin.

4. eddylu says:

Fuck the pigs!

• jpfitz says:

What did the cops do wrong in your opinion in the video?
      I saw professional behavior under extreme stress especially in such a confining and chaotic mess. If your gripe is about the girl being handcuffed, she was way out of control and would not back off as told by the officers.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

I agree, too bad they didn’t have chemicals to spray on the mob…grossly unprepared for the proud dunces liberals have mass produced via our schools.

• noname says:

“liberals have mass produced via our schools.”

Now I understand why your a conservative!

• jpfitz says:

You’re an idiot, the officers would have been overcome from the chem spray in the confined subway car and tunnel.

• Taxed Enough Already Dude says:

Not realizing that doesn’t make me an idiot any more than your doing so makes you a genius.

Logically flawed smear, but I’ll refrain from taking offense, you can’t help it, ever since the accident…when that butterfly crashed into your head, causing you to lose your mind…

• jpfitz says:

I take back the intent and personal attack by my use of an insulting word. I have chronic pain which can cause me to be abrasive and impulsive.

Lol, maybe it was that butterfly.

5. The0ne says:

I vote some of you get out of your basement and head to NYC immediately. Make sure to take the subway.

6. mojo says:

NYC: nice place to visit, if you have money. For a day or two. Then get the hell out. Them folks is crazy.

7. Steve says:

I couldn’t understand what language was on this video and then I decided it must be Cacafonese.

8. Tod Stiles says:

I can’t picture the measured, highly professional response of the police to the marathon bombing happening very many places in the south, and yes I’ve lived many years in both north and south. Just ask Don Siegelman, former governor of Alabama now a political prisoner at the bloody hands of Karl Rove. http://www.donsiegelman.org

• The Monster's Lawyer says:

Tod,
      Don is indeed a political prisoner. The fact that he is in jail now speaks volumes about the Democratic Party’s weakness and them turning their backs on one of their own. A well funded legal assault in defense of Siegelman would probably uncover the true reason and cause of his imprisonment. But like all politicians today, the Dems ran away from him like cockroaches.

• Mikey says:

Yeah, I got your measured highly professional response right here.

• MikeN says:

My gosh, there are still lefties around who believe the story of Karl Rove set up a sting operation to get this Alabama governor out of office. As if he had no other elections to worry about at the time.

I thought all liberals had dropped this line after hearing the witness talk.

9. Glenn E. says:

“Racial Violence”, is a misnomer. I shouldn’t have to point this out. But Jews are not a race. No more than Buddhists are a race. Or Christians are a race. Think about it sometimes. So why are these “hate” or “harassment” charges always being defined as a racial thing. Read your Gulliver’s Travels. This is like the “Big Enders” vs the “Little Enders”. A believe system or philosophy, isn’t a racial classification. Anyone can join. And later, change their mind and leave. No one, to my knowledge, is born believing in a religion. In spite of what their leaders might claim.

10. MikeN says:

Where does John Rocker go for his apology?