With Washington state about to embark on a first-of-its-kind legal market for recreational marijuana, the budding ranks of new cannabis growers face a quandary over what to do with the excess stems, roots and leaves from their plants.

Susannah Gross, who owns a five-acre farm north of Seattle, is part of a group experimenting with a solution that seems to make the most of marijuana’s appetite-enhancing properties – turning weed waste into pig food.

Four pigs whose feed was supplemented with potent plant leavings during the last four months of their lives ended up 20 to 30 pounds heavier than the half-dozen other pigs from the same litter when they were all sent to slaughter in March.

“They were eating more, as you can imagine,” Gross said.

Giving farm animals the munchies is the latest outcome of a ballot measure passed by Washington voters in November making their state one of the first to legalize the recreational use of pot. The other was Colorado. Both were among about 20 states with medical marijuana laws already on their books…

Matt McAlman, the medical marijuana grower who provided the pot leavings for Gross’ pigs, says he hopes the idea expands with the likely impending expansion of Washington state’s marijuana industry.

We can have pot chickens, pot pigs, grass-fed beef5,” he said.

Draft regulations issued last week to govern the burgeoning recreational-use industry seem to leave open that possibility. The rules dictate that marijuana plant waste must be “rendered unusable prior to leaving a licensed producer or processor’s facility,” adding that mixing it with food waste would be acceptable.

Sounds good to me. Might even enjoy some baby back ribs with a dash of THC flavoring and delicate alder smoking.

1. pedro says:

Another BS story from you-know-who. At least it wasn’t about his favorite subject.

Yawn!

2. dax says:

pot brownies,now pot pigs.Move over pork skins !

3. Michael says:

Sorry, but eating raw pot will not get you high or give you the munchies. And I wont tell you how I know this.

So, while cute, its BS.

• soundwash says:

ha! -what a crock.

you obviously have/had very bad source
      material.

-s

• Cheney's Lawyer says:

Nope, if its not heated the THC isn’t released….Michael is right.

4. mojo says:

“Oh, what a cute pig! What do you call him?”
    “Pork Chops”

5. jpfitz says:

It’s about time mj is used and not demonized with false propaganda. Mj has too many uses to list. Still the drug companies and other manufactures of rope and paper will lobby against a weed with so many uses.

6. bobbo, Jr Culture/psychiatric/ethnic/social/art critic and cynical iconoclast says:

“Susannah Gross, who owns a five-acre farm north of Seattle…” /// Five acre pot farm huh?…. Now there is some trickle down/blow by I can get behind.

I read a while back that in humans while pot gives you the munchies, you don’t gain weight. Something bout thc that increases metabolism was their best bet.

I smoked 2 in college and didn’t like my pink lungs coughing the smoke out so I stopped in favor of good health. Wasn’t for another few years I traveled to Europe and found beer I could stand.

When its legal again, I’ll try it again. Cheaper and healthier than beer?

• bobbo, Jr Culture/psychiatric/ethnic/social/art critic and cynical iconoclast says:

Holy Shit!===what a crap fest of irrelevant links.

Hey DVORAK, the commerical man===can you link to my google browsing history to make your ad linked and supported site more relevant to me?

Is this why you were on virus alert from Google last week??

Provide an off button?

• jpfitz says:

Much healthier but but could be more expensive if your a pothead. Your body tells you when you’re smoking too much. You can then abstain and go back to your medicine as needed. Vaporizing is the healthiest, though expensive.

I drank beer for too long. Had to quit. From 05′ to 11′ no beer or alcohol. Nowadays I may drink a beer or two maybe every other week. Alcohol is a killer, especially in my family. My moniker should clue you to my gene pool.

• pedro says:

” Your body tells you when you’re smoking too much. ”

Sounds familiar. Where have I heard it… Oh yeah, smokers!

Sure, you can quit it whenever you want.

• So What? says:

What a concept, lets inhale the smoke from this burning material, there can’t be any health consequences from that it’s a plant it’s natural.

Yep when you start coughing up a lung it’s time to cut back a little.

• jpfitz says:

Exactly, you won’t continue when your damaging yourself. I’ve seen this happen to someone I know. Occasionally smoking is not harmful, it could be beneficial for some and could cause some bad side effects for others. When the side effect is felt the individual usually stops.

Not Like alcohol or tobacco. Good luck quitting once hooked on tobacco. I did it but I really worked hard at it.

• jpfitz says:

When your in traffic in your car do you think the air your breathing is not filled with carbon. Just because you can’t see it…

• pedro says:

You are comparing breathing outdoors with smoking? Try inhaling straight from the exhaust to make the comparison more alike. Or standing next to a smoker which is why so many people are rude with smokers.

Watching your denial is fun and all, I just hope afterwards you don’t get bamboozled by the likes of fatso Moore and go on an anti corp marijuana when it gets legalized & Philip Morris sells it to you.

• jpfitz says:

Pedro, I will reply only to clear up misconceptions about mj. I use for pain relief instead of the nasty drugs preferred by big pharm. The thc helps with muscle spasms and joint pain. There is no safer solution. Narcotics and drugs like celebrex are dangerous and some others are poision. Meaning you’ll end up with complications taking Dr prescribed drugs in pill form. I can’t endorse mj enough for the therapeutic relief I receive just smoking two puffs. Say what you will but when you are in cronic pain I know of no other safe drug.

• pedro says:

I know what you smoke it for or do you forgot the reply I gave you on the subject?

That doesn’t take the bad out of it. Chemotherapy is bad regardless of what good does in your body, you know? Specially if you keep doing it after it has gone past its positive stage.

7. Captain Obvious says:

Did you ever really look at your hoof dude? Like whoa, really, like looked at it?

8. Nugget Coombes says:

There will surely be a lot of Pot-Heads hanging around the local Bacon/Ham Smoke-house.

9. orchidcup says:

Now even our pigs are becoming obese.

Wonderful.