Religious people claim moral authority, but where does moral authority really come from? In this talk I show that moral authority comes from the reality based community, not the faith based community. Here I connect the dots and explain the meaning of life and he purpose of humanity in the universe from a scientific context without any subjective assumptions. Science is the new Bible.

1. t0llyb0ng says:

I’ll listen to as much of this as I can but it may not be very long due to the raggedy, overblown signal I’m hearing.  That & I don’t really have time to devote an hour to the subject matter.

I don’t have a problem with Marc other than he needs to find a proofreader somewhere.  It wouldn’t have to be a proofreader-from-hell (that would me me) but just a second pair of eyeballs that can put a red circle around grammatical clunkers & missing words.  It’s tough to proofread one’s own stuff, even for the best of us (me).  To publish raw text to a blog without help is hubristic & ill-advised.

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

What are you proof reading? All I see is the header on the OP? Nothing wrong with that unless you can educate us all?

• Peace and Love says:

I’ll summarize it for you. A bullshit salesman from The Humanist Church is shilling a totalitarian claim to moral authority, his point of difference with other religion is that instead of a stated and established philosophy, culture, they prefer to make it up as they go along. Any inconvenient rules can be changed at their next ethics committee.

2. pedro says:

Marc, what would Einstein say?

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

Pedro–such a sad withdrawn shriveled up intellectual life.

Tell us: what would Einstein say?

• pedro says:

The same thing a guy who signs Bibles and advises to read it would say.

3. Guyver says:

IMHO,

Morals keep you from doing things that’ll get God mad at you.

Ethics keep you from doing things that’ll get society mad at you.

4. bobbo, we think with words, and flower with ideas says:

Facing Adversity, Some Find Solace in Science:

Ha, ha.

• Guyver says:

Some in the science community try to argue by appealing to authority rather than using the scientific method to prove something.

Just like in religions, science has its share of charlatans.

Far too many self-absorbed intellects prefer to follow those who preach their “scientific” authority rather than approach things with scientific skepticism.

5. John Cheever says:

Marc,

The more bong hits I take, the more it all makes sense! At the next talk wear an interesting hat. Perhaps a magenta Mitre with dreadlocks?

I get no spam but I have too much pork for just one fork.

Snoogins!

6. John Cheever says:

One last thought…the next talk should be given from a hot tub and Skyped into No Agenda. THAT is my Sunday morning message and massage.

Speedos are optional…

7. Rich says:

“Science is the new Bible”? Who needs any Bible.

8. God, inspiring Id, Ego, and Super-Ego with the trade mark monicker "I Am"since 1922 says:

We are not amuzed.

9. Dallas says:

“Science is the new bible” .. Good analogy and add another analogy in techno-speak..

Science is Open Source . The Bible is proprietary and the coder died thousands of years ago.

10. Rich says:

Jesus H, what was that all about?