Behind closed doors, textbook reviewers appointed by the Texas State Board of Education are pushing to inject creationism into teaching materials that will be adopted statewide in high schools this year, according to new documents obtained by watchdog groups. Records show that the textbook reviewers made ideological objections to material on evolution and climate change in science textbooks from at least seven publishers, including several of the nation’s largest publishing houses. Failing to obtain a review panel’s top rating can make it harder for publishers to sell their textbooks to school districts, and can even lead the state to reject the books altogether.

“Once again, culture warriors in the state board are putting Texas at risk of becoming a national laughingstock on science education,” said Kathy Miller, the president of the Texas Freedom Network, a nonprofit group that monitors religious extremists…

What’s more, because Texas has one of the nation’s largest public-school systems, publishers tend to tailor their textbooks for that market and then sell the same texts to the rest of America.

Few of the textbook reviewers who were critical of the teaching of evolution and climate change possessed any scientific credentials, according to NCSE. Among those who did, several were active in anti-evolution organizations such as the Discovery Institute.

According to the groups, the Texas Education Agency has declined to release documents showing what changes, if any, the publishers have agreed to make in response to these reviews. A public hearing on the books will take place next week in Austin, followed by a final vote to approve or reject them in November.

1. BracketCreep says:

• Hyph3n says:

What the hell are you talking about? Is this some racist crap?

And for this reason, evolution needs to be taught in school. The average genetic variation within races is greater than the average genetic variation between races.

• MikeN says:

And that is relevant how?

• MikeN says:

• Hyph3n says:

Of this I can categorically say, you do not know what you are talking about. So much more goes into IQ than genetic make-up. The Bell Curve is political opinions pushed as science. I know. It’s sitting on my shelf.

And people wonder why evolution gets a bad rap. Because people conflate it to their own ideology.

• MikeN says:

And of course you have done no such thing.

• Hyph3n says:

No. Evolution describes how organisms adapt to their environment and change over time. I don’t use it to justify my left meanings– unless you mean me thinking people are people and there’s not that much difference between us. But that’s just good ole common sense too.

• MikeN says:

So everything evolves except the brain? Or are you saying there are no physical differences between races at all?

• Hyph3n says:

Actually those are good questions. Some think that after we developed language, we no longer needed to evolve. If we needed to stay warm, it didn’t take generations to evolve fur, we were able to learn how to collect hides from others. We don’t exactly know what a smarter brain looks like. It’s probably not more brain cells, but is a better temperament, more social, quicker growing brain cells. So how do you identify the genetics if you don’t know what you are looking for. And how much of that is environmental.

I don’t believe the are differences in the race. We have different traits. The Irish is known for red hair and blue eyes, doesn’t mean they are “different” for the rest of us.

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

So…. there are “no differences” between the races. Those that I do recognize and can name that everyone else can too are not important in my value system so I deem them not to exist at all.

My dogma has barked.

The issue of race and racism is interesting to observe. How simple truths are avoided and lies are clung to.

What difference does it make if the average white guy is 3 IQ points dumber than an Oriental?

Tell me: just imagine the IQ difference is real!!====>now tell me what difference it makes?

…. and you can’t. Don’t confuse the difference not making a difference with the difference not existing.

Yea, verily!

• MikeN says:

It could make a difference, but you don’t have the math skills to understand the argument, perhaps because you are not from certain part of Asia, or the part of Asia on the other side.

• Hyph3n says:

So, from an evolution standpoint, why would have Asians developed better math skills? And what structures in the brain changed to make it happen? Why aren’t all Asians good at math?

• MikeN says:

You need better math skills to count your population.

• Hyph3n says:

That would be environment and not genetics. See how this work? Environments can be somewhat easily changed. Genetics are much harder.

• pedro says:

And here I was thinking liberuls believe everybody is equal and nobody is different than anyone else.

(And whoever thinks that statement is racist is a closeted racist)

• t0llyb0ng says:

No scientist *moi* but I’m not sure I buy into this assertion that brown folks of a “pure” African persuasion are more similar to whiteys than whiteys are to themselves.  Recently I’ve heard theories that native Africans don’t share whiteys’ commingling of genes with Neanderthals.  Did whitey succumb to a temptation of the flesh & compromise his own gene pool thereby?  That’s another can of worms.

The issue becomes murkier on this side of the pond since none of our home-grown brown folks retain a “pure” African lineage.  They’ve all been whitey-fied to a greater or lesser extent.  (There is a citation for that somewhere within the past year but I have not retained it.)

“The average genetic variation within races is greater than the average genetic variation between races.”  That is an interesting statement & I suppose it makes sense, that the races went off in their own directions & “updated” themselves in their own ways—mostly cosmetic.  Okay, you win this one.  But “makeup” hath not a hyphen.

• Tim says:

But, “make-up sex” has got hyphens protruding out of every little idiogrammatic crack.

• NobodySpecial says:

The average variation within African races is greater than the the variation in non-African races. There is considerably more genetic variation in an African village than in the whole of Scandinavia.
          The reason an the effect should be obvious – and is the reason all you Ikea-Nokia heads all look the same to us!

• Gwad his own self says:

You’re interjecting “neanderthal” as if it were a bad thing, when evidence shows that it’s anything but. Neanderthal man was quite a bit more intelligent than Cro-magnon, but unfortunately for them, not nearly as aggressive. Sort of like comparing modern humans with our fellow Hominoidea, the Pans (chimps).

• Hyph3n says:

Hey, don’t knock a little interbreeding with the Neanderthals.

You fail to appreciate the human ability to fuck anything that moves. If a human can have sex with sheep (not mentioning any names) then something that walks upright is like having sex with a Vegas showgirl.

2. Imaginary Man in the Sky says:

All your religion are belong to us!

3. Bill Bob says:

Hank Hill said it. I believe it!

4. bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

The article includes examples of the spooky crap nutballs would substitute for science. /// God Bless You Eideard.

1. MikeN says:
    9/12/2013 at 9:05 pm

Should The Bell Curve be valid reading for high school students? Or do liberals feel that it is racist for suggesting that their is a genetic component to IQ, and that certain races will have lower IQ? /// I think the evidence is in that culture biased IQ tests do consistently show a continuum of race based IQ’s “but” I wager you don’t even know what that means for everyday interracial intercourse: ……… nothing. It is a statistical measurement of zero significance. Can you wrap your pea brain around that? True but meaningless? Somewhat analagous to you idiot musings on evolution and science: Wrong and meaningless. Ha, ha.>>>>>>I crack myself up.

2. Hyph3n says:
    9/13/2013 at 5:58 am
    ……My point previously is that chances are you have closer genetically speaking to a bushman in Africa than your neighbor across the street. //// How can that possibly be true when our African Root Stock contains the MOST GENETIC VARIETY there is. All migrating groups creating a filter by which dna is limited from the parent group. Your statement makes no common sense unless it has also gone thru some filter, the kind you object too? Can you explain or provide the filter that supports your mathematically suspect claim?

3. Timmy===what TWO links I have to evaluate to figure out what the heck tangent you are on? Please provide the executive summary for each.

4. BracketCreep says:
    9/12/2013 at 5:52 pm

I wonder how many of the detractors in this thread are creationists without even realizing it. /// In my own drunken review, they all seem to PROUDLY PROCLAIM this ignorance as the basis for their posting. What the HEY are you trying to spin?

These are the people who cherry-pick which of Darwin’s theories to get behind not realizing that Darwin had a thing or two which went against egalitarian PC beliefs. /// Giberish. Say it straight: what “thing” went against PC beliefs???? ((I know you can’t support your rhetorical BS.))

But basically liberal creationists believe evolution stopped 50,000 years ago and at the neck. /// BS. …… and so are you. Made up straw man arguments without support, logic, link, or analysis. Sad really.

Are we Men of Science……. or Devo????? Sadly, oh so many are Devo.

Silly Hoomans.

• Tim says:

I thought the images were pretty self-explanatory;

1.) What is not to get about a giant flying magic carp proclaiming “I swear to God, when I evolve I’m going to kill you all” ??

2.) The cat is all meow meow mean-kitty pissed off at his situation. Now he has thrown caution to the wind and is doing a daring, mocking, brave-hearted taunting of “You missed him, Mr. Bartlett.” at whatever sky-faring entity just glass parking-lotted his litter box.

• Hyph3n says:

The “average” genetic variation between the races are less than the “average” variation within the races. And that genetic variation is much larger for people in Africa.

Probably this is because only a small portion of the population migrated from Africa. Answers the question?

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

Thanks for the link Hyphen. I am about 8 beers in before passing out for what I call sleep but the headline is:

Larger genetic differences within africans than between Africans and Eurasians

is totally consistent with what I ask and totally conflicting with what you posted.

Note that is not “exactly” the same as saying that your neighbor would be more genetically variable but that goes against the headlines.

Regardless……. of interest is the point you might be trying to make otherwise? What would that be exactly? Some call to our common humanity… I assume and accept. I have not yet seen evidence that show differences between the races so significant that racial differences should be taken into account in ANY of the social constructs. That said, I’ll pop another slushy beer.

• Tim says:

“” ANY of the social constructs

Well, black performance artists are getting Darwin’d in american theatrical performances by bursting into flames more frequently than Inuits. But, from Micheal Jackson to Richard Pryor, they still come out on top by taking the money to just blame it on The Man’s crack pipe —

• Hyph3n says:

“I have not yet seen evidence that show differences between the races so significant that racial differences should be taken into account in ANY of the social constructs.”

Wait… we may be on the same side on this one. Races are a social construct, rather than a genetic one.

I give you bonafide research and you complain. There’s just no pleasing people. I’ll have to hunt down the paper about genetic variabilit

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

I thanked you for the link to the research and I agree with that research.

YOU misapplied the research.

If B is a subset of A then B will naturally have less variation than A. We all agree on that. THEN you say that those within subset B will have more variation…..no, thats not what you’re saying. Geeze, re-reading a few times, I don’t know what you’re saying.

I am more like an African than I am like my neighbor? If my neighbor and I am both of subset B, I don’t see how that is mathematically the rule. There might be a fuckbag in there that has not been squared?

• Tim says:

Most of humanity’s family tree does not fork — Just look at who you are waiting around standing in line for the privilage to interact with at the court house.

• MikeN says:

And how is that relevant?
        If one race has a variation of IQ from 10 to 150 while another has a variation from 50 to 180, the averages are 80 and 115, so the variations within a race are bigger than between the races, but it says nothing to the point of whether there can be a variation at all. You know, what the original poster posited as grounded in science but you dogmatically say isn’t so.

5. MikeN says:

Liberals like to produce socialists in their schools, while Texas does not. Even the socialists end up voting conservative, as we have seen in Norway.

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

Mickey—I won’t waste my time wiping your ass but isn’t what is “labeled” the conservative party in Scandanavian countries what we “label” the liberal party in the GOUSA?

It doesn’t matter really. STOP the label BS and go issue by issue, substance by substance.

You don’t have a leg to stand on, nor a pot to piss in.

Poor old USA TeaPublican Batshit Crazy Science Denying dumbshit.

Thinking people have to ask: “Why is the Republipoop Party even legal?”

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

…… i FEEL GOOD, I knew that I would………

• Captain Obvious says:

Norway’s Conservative party got 27% of the vote. Which isn’t a majority. Unless you use bible math.

6. JimD says:

Gee, won’t be able to buy anything for Texas Instruments anymore !!! Their data sheets will have a footnote “*God willing” !!!

And I wonder if this will give a foot in the educational door for the “Flying Spaghetti Monster” as an “Alternative Faith” and a HAILSTORM OF “SEPARATION” LAWSUITS !!! (We can only hope so !!!)

• Dallas says:

Their data sheets will have a footnote “*God willing” !!!

LOL. That was good.

7. Robb the student says:

I wish I had professors like Pedro and Bobbo in my college.

8. bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

If Whiteys did intermingle with Neanderthals and also with that other new human species discovered in Asia–((Denisovans)) sure seems like the variability of whites should be very large when compared to Pure African Stock?

What gets me though is how two more “human” species could have evolved outside of Africa and be so close that the species could interbreed? That kind of parallel evolution usually goes to form and function, not dna. With my firm grounding of English Literature, seems to me the Neanderthals and “those others” must have had common ancestors with what became homo’s and that common ancestor would have had to be quite close in time to keep the genetics that close.

Just seems like something doesn’t add up. A mystery I’ll just have to learn to live with.

…………….or stop being ignorant and Google: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/07/125-missing-human-ancestor/family-tree-graphic

9. bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

Hyph3n says:
    9/15/2013 at 3:57 am

Wait a minute now, I’m only beholden to this evolution theory if the white man comes out on top. If you’re saying that these Asian are more highly evolve, I’ll go back to believin’ Jesus done made us. /// You “sound like” you don’t know but the first thing you learn in racial theory is that indeed many studies have consistently show that IQ increases from blacks to whites to Asians to Anakasi (sp) Jews. I forget by how much, its measurable, but not significant and that goes for GROUP statistics. Take it down to the individual level and its a useless factoid. Why would IQ be distributed by race? It could be gene linked in some way or evolving by environmental forces as a concomitant matter. There are stronger sex linked differences that no one even disagrees with … all averaging to the same IQ in the sexes by test design. All rather amusing.

So, from an evolution standpoint, why would have Asians developed better math skills? /// I don’t know if they have. What I’ve read I only remember as IQ of which math is only a component.

And what structures in the brain changed to make it happen? /// Last I read, IQ is reflected in the Brain by more folding in the structures. If that is cause or effect, I don’t know.

Why aren’t all Asians good at math? /// Because everyone and every skill falls on a continuum which when summed up across any group will form a bell shaped curved.

…..but I grog you have gone from innocent ignorance to pimping. Thats not intelligence per se although that does require some.

yada, yada.

• Hyph3n says:

My “sarcasm” tag got lost in the post (true story).

Let’s say for a moment that on average Asian are better at math. It doesn’t have to be genetics. It could be cultural– anything from the way they learn to count to their social structure. More folds in the brain are an effect of knowing more, not a cause.

• bobbo, we think words, and flower with movie references says:

My “sarcasm” tag got lost in the post (true story). /// I hate it when that happens. Has “almost” made me stop being sarcastic. Still: (sarc/on/off) is hard to lose?

Let’s say for a moment that on average Asian are better at math. It doesn’t have to be genetics. It could be cultural– anything from the way they learn to count to their social structure. /// Absolutely correct and the Asians keep a lot of their culture as they move from ghetto to ghetto. Same with the Blacks. With whitey in the middle with little culture at all?

More folds in the brain are an effect of knowing more, not a cause. /// Not exercise and diet huh? (sarc/off)

Maybe some future scientist will definitely say that “this gene” is directly correlates with IQ tests. But then to get smarter, we will all be able to take a pill. /// I’m sure its a group of genes, not just one although there will be several that can be acted on individually to increase IQ.

I haven’t gotten into what an IQ test really measures and whether it’s worth anything. /// If you study the area, the experts do know. Roughly… AS YOU ALREADY KNOW…. its the ability to learn. Correlates to many other human measurements and achievements and potentials.

If you’ve ever been around someone with less than 130 IQ….you wouldn’t have any question about it. ((Sarc/====OFFFFFFFF!…. buts its still true. Amusing how socially unacceptable reality and sarcasm mirror one another?))

10. Porky Rottenham says:

God could do anything, right? If so, then God created evolution. God created climate change. God created UFOs. You have been warned not to follow the teachings of men, but you ignore the warning, and think yourselves to be godly at the same time.

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

The natural consequence of this reasoning, sarcastic or otherwise, is to make the bible meaningless. Perhaps a good first step?

“If religion could be reasoned with, there wouldn’t be any.”