Trying to upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 7 without having to start over. This is for my friend who got the CrtptoDefense Virus. The next computer I get is not going to be Windows. It will either be just Linux or Android. (No – not going Apple. Steve Jobs sucks and his ghost is still running the company.

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

An error prevented a required compliance check from completing. Cancel the installation and try upgrading again.

What the hell kind of an error message is that? You would think Microsoft would come up with something with a little more information.

NEW – clarification

Not trying to upgrade a machine with a virus on it. She had a two year old image backup. I restored that and applied all the updates. But I’m trying to upgrade that – not the one that was infected.

1. Peppeddu says:

Hard Drives can fail at any time for any reason without warning whatsoever.

If you are unable to perform a full install (with all your applications and data) at a moment’s notice you probably don’t have a backup either, and that is just disaster waiting to happen.

Personally, I never upgrade, always a full install so that whatever screwed up setting/software/whatever doesn’t get carried over.

2. pedro says:

Android? You call that an OS?

And good luck making your friend that was unable to know how not to get infected in windows able to manage a linux or unix computer

• Marc Perkel says:

Linux is fine for servers. I have a several of them including the one this site runs on. But as a client you can’t hardly do anything as simple as watch a youtube video.

• Tim says:

Yea, I sudo rm’ed something and while i was expecting a time-sensitive package to be cross-shipped to my neighbor’s address in a most clandestine manner, the computer broke instead.

• Gerald Clement says:

“But as a client you can’t hardly do anything as simple as watch a youtube video.”

This is just simply not true.

3. Tenaya says:

The most effective encryption algorithms ever deployed are used to display Micro$oft error messages. No method of determining what these messages mean or extracting any useful information about the problem that generated them has ever been discovered (and likely never will be). Long ago, before I gave up trying to decipher them, I discovered that Micro$oft themselves rarely knows, either.

4. Rex says:

I switched to Linux (first Ubuntu then Linux Mint) and I never looked back. When I am asked to help fix somebodies computer I am amazed at all the crap that’s installed. My Mint system is clean and always works perfectly. I use VirtualBox to run a copy of XP for those few programs that require Windows, Wine takes care of the rest. I would never go back to Microsoft hell.

• Sammy says:

Try reading your comment again….”I will never go back to Microsoft hell”, preceded by “I run a copy of Windows XP virtually”.

You remind me of every Mac bot who constantly puts down Microsoft, then the first thing they do is load a copy of Windows on their Mac…oh and Office.

• deegee says:

Your post sounds like a fanboi.
      If your experience with Microsoft was hell, then you were doing something wrong. As is almost always the case with haters.

Just because many people are idiots and install tons of crap on their computer does not mean that Windows is a bad operating system.

I am an IT and 3D software developer (yes, really) for 2 decades. Prior to that I did IC and embedded computer design (I am in my 50′s).
      Currently in my small office I have almost two dozen workstations and two servers all running various versions of Windows. The number of technical issues I have had for decades are near-zero.

Don’t buy the cheapest computer you can get at Walmart. Don’t buy pre-bundled crap computers. Don’t install crap you plan to never use. Access the Internet via VMs to reduce host infection. Etc.
      Actually learn something about Windows before you use it.

Windows kicks the hell out of Linux desktop. At least you can be productive on Windows. Anyone who believes that Linux will ever gain any appreciable market share is only fooling themselves.
      Still waiting for that “Year of Linux”?…

I even worked on a Linux distro team back at the time of Windows Vista, (as programmer on a Package Manager team) and without being too lengthy, the Linux community is their own worst enemy as to why they will never grow into anything serious. I have never before or after experienced such a pack of jerks as the other people on that team.

Windows XP support has ended.
      Besides, both Windows 7 and Windows 8 are better OS’s than XP.

• jpfitz says:

Completely agree. Linux, what’s it good for.
        All you XP fans time to fresh install 7 or 8.
        I don’t take my own advise, I’m still running Vista. One virus in eight years. Easily removed with some reading and registry editing and file deleting in safe mode.

• pedro says:

win 8? shudder.

• jpfitz says:

On a NetBook 8.1 is useable. I have just bought a Nokia wp.

Come on Pedro lambast an OS you have never tried. Join the bandwagon full of the ignorant screaming OMG a windows phone. I have better use of my money than paying more than 100 dollars for a smart phone and stuck in contracts. I use wifi for texting and only

• jpfitz says:

Wifi for maps. Only talk if needed.

• deegee says:

Windows 8.1 is a very good OS. I have it installed on some of my workstations. I would happily choose it over Windows 7.

There are only a few quick checkboxes to change, delete the unused tiles on the Start page, and for the most part it functions like Windows 7, but with many improvements (Taskbar on all monitors, File Explorer ribbon, improved Task Manager, improved Defender, improved hardware support, etc., check microsoft.com or wikipedia for a full list).

It took me 5 minutes to get used to not using a Start Menu.
            If you want a Start Menu back, you can either use one of the addons, or simply right-click on the Taskbar and add a new Toolbar, place your fav apps on it, and you have a mini fly-out Start-Menu-like menu.

• pedro says:

Who told you I haven’t used win8, the voices in your head? Ask the blog’s webmaster which OS was used to write these posts

• jpfitz says:

You complain and bitch yet you’re using the OS I’d not expect you to utilize fully. Or at all. Maybe a XP hanger on.
            I sometimes have you pegged as a closeted oi phone user and an OS X Maverick.

• pedro says:

An idiot is telling me that I shouldn’t dislike an OS either for using it or not. Yeah, I think your opinion is quite valid… NOT!

• jpfitz says:

Pedro you’re the idiot. More like a childish idiot. Complaining about the product you use when you have several choices. I think that makes you an ignoramus.

Your comments are useless, have most times been only about attacking individuals. I don’t know why the mods put up with your negative attacks and name calling.

If you behaved this way in a bar while most of us are having a somewhat intelligent conversation, I’d probably break your nose. You push and push with your name calling over the interwebs, in person, you’d be on the floor with a bloody nose.

• jpfitz says:

Marc or whoever is moderating this post if you decide to delete my comment because of a cyber punch to Pedros nose, consider the fact that Pedro’s comments are more hurtful. Cyber verbal attacks are considered bullying. My cyber punch is impossible to make contact with the douche bag. Pedro adds nothing to the blog. He adds insults and hides behind a fiber optic cable.

Pedro you owe ME an apology. I’ve tried and tried to give you some leeway. In the end, fuck it you’re not worth it.

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

jp–you surprise me. Old enough by now to know you have to look to yourself First if not only to salve any injury—especially one involving only speech.

You SHOULD benefit yourself by learning to be at ease with everyone everywhere at all times, except those offering genuine harm instead of something you just don’t like.

FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM==leaving other people alone.

Live, learn, grow.

Pop a beer.

• pedro says:

I owe you no apology, your two comments were idiotic. Nobody can disprove your claims about your OS because those contradicting them are either not experienced or too experienced.

Grow up.

• jpfitz says:

Tomorrow the beer pops, all out, need to hit the beverage barn and take a Saturday drive.

Yeah, I usually take what comes my way much better, especially knowing ahead of time the typical Pedro comment. Everyone’s entitled to lose it now and then, especially when Pedro’s donkey cart loses a wheel.

How you been bobbo?

• bobbo, the pragmatic existential evangelical anti-theist says:

Not that beating Pedro’s Dead Donkey doesn’t have its appeal, … but … the whole point is …. that the point is…. if a point there is to be made is…. the concept of entitlement is toally irrelevant, or part of the problem, or is the wrong notion—once one finds their own happy place where beer is popped.

From every relationship, you/we should (should because how many of us do?) take what is positive, enjoy that, and pass it along. The negative is not something to ignore, sublimate, let fester and then have it come out in some entitled self injurious behavior.

This is not Pollyanna, or Zen like acceptance…. but there is a trick: you do have to recognize the opportunity===especially in the safest, most non threatening, purely verbal, among strangers, where you choose to place yourself. My goodness, if you can’t learn to be happy with disagreement here, where can you????….. and life is nothing except a whole bunch of disagreement.

……edit– yes, more about==don’t “ignore” the slings and arrows offered by idiots like Pedro, but let it be Pedro’s problem and not your own? In fact, Pedro does offer value to this forum. Not as much as he could, but that is his donkey to ride. I don’t know what it could be, Pedro is not as open a book as I am, but I accept it as a priori that something in Pedro’s life makes him present himself as he does. Glad its not my monkey….. but then I got my own monkey. We all do.

Th simplest refrigerator cards are true: when you point your finger of accusation at another, you have 3 pointed back at yourself. I would immediately think: “Why am I pissed at Pedro?” then, and what do I get for myself by further engaging in the fruitless exchange???

Yeah, its a constant challenge. I think I’m getting better at it over the years, but we are born with emotions… its the skeleton our intellects are hung on.

Don’t like the finger example? The one that first stuck with me was: It takes two fools to have an argument. … but we get so used to the entitlement issue. Entitled to what exactly? Not to “lose” it…. doesn’t that expression even sound a bit odd to you? I say: you are entitled to “find” it. Find your center, find your joy. It is all within you.

So…. How am I? Different day, same BS. Arguing by email with real folks I actually know about all these same issues. Entitled bunch of A personalities. Hah, hah.

• flatwombat says:

Have to disagree with you about linux not being a good substitute for desktop Windows (whatever). I’ve been using only Fedora on my machine(s) for 10 years and have found nothing that I can’t handle. Now, when recommending a distro to friends/family, I always suggest Mint, since it’s easy and fully functional. I have one machine running Mint in a public location that’s been problem-free for 5 years now, plus several 70+ yr. old non-geek friends who have zero problems handling their tasks with Mint.

• deegee says:

Seriously?

Linux desktop = maybe for anyone who only needs a web browser — ever.

For virtually everyone else, good luck finding any apps on Linux that do what you need.

P.S. I am not a Windows fanboi, I also have a Mac here, and I used to have Linux desktop (mainly Ubuntu and Kubuntu) on a few of my systems, but finally dumped it last year since I just could not do anything productive on the systems — at all (and imho, email, facebook, and surfing the internet for pr0n is not productivity related).

• flatwombat says:

Well, it’s all in what you want/need to do. I have no problems running websites, handling normal home bookkeeping, graphics, office apps, etc. Perhaps your needs were different.

Frankly, as you also know with a Mac, it’s up to the software provider to make things easier and most see their major bucks coming from Windows and secondarily from Macs. Linux is an after-thought for them, however if Google continues to pour money into Chromebooks, Chrome OS, etc., that could easily change.

5. MikeN says:

They need to bring back the Bebox, which let you turn off individual CPUs. You would weed out the losers who select all.

• Captain Obvious says:

MikeN thinks I’m an asshole. I think he’s a son of a bitch. On one thing we do agree. BeOS was the shit.

• jpfitz says:

“Haiku began as the OpenBeOS project in 2001, the year that Be, Inc. was bought by Palm, Inc. and BeOS development was discontinued; the focus of the project was to support the BeOS user community by creating an open-source, backward-compatible replacement for BeOS.”

• Captain Obvious says:

Thanks for the pointer, pretty cool. There are some people working on an ARM port as well which means it could run on things like the Raspberry PI. It looks like a good hobby OS.

6. Judge Hooker says:

You’re trying to do a standing upgrade? Hahahahaha. Where have you been for the past 20 years? You ALWAYS install from scratch.

• MikeN says:

No, I’m sure he’s sitting down. I think he knows PC stuff better than you.

7. Mr.H. says:

And you call your self technically inclined? PC support 101, NEVER UPGRADE WINDOWS to the next version. Wipe drive and always do a clean install. Or if you only have the upgrade version of the OS, then do a clean install of the old OS and then immediatle do the Upgrade.

As has already been mentioned, when you upgrade the OS to the next version, you are also bringing all the CRAP problems you had and didn’t\couldn’t fix from the previous version you were just at before you upgraded. The idea of being able to “upgrade” is mostly for marketing, not real life for anyone knows better.

8. Number Three says:

I Just F___ing Hate APPLE!

Not that there’s much of a difference between Apple and Microsoft.

Go ahead and look at either company and ask yourself which one has done the LEAST! In other words, which company has done the least to pervert copyright/patent laws, financially rape customers when profits are so huge, and which one is least OPEN! You could even look at which one is the aggressor (plaintiff) in the most court cases too.

Now take a look at which company has made the most money when fairly evaluated according to units sold and I think you will see that Apple is by far the “winner”! (And I won’t even go into how all Apple ever does is conglomerate other technologies and then get sue-happy whenever someone else wants to do it.)

Now ask yourself which company you’re forced to deal with on a daily basis and you’ll probably say Microsoft.

So, like I said, they’re BOTH horrible. Your – our – only choice seems to be which is the lesser of the two evils.

… That is, unless you use Linux.

• Captain Obvious says:

I know a lot of people running the Lenovo X1 Carbon with Linux and loving it. It’s a sweet combination.

9. Greg Allen says:

The solution?

Linux! — if you hate it, you can fix it.

I am not a partisan hack. I also use Windows and OSX every day. I like them both.

But, I prefer Linux.

All OSs have problems but Linuxs’ problems can usually be fixed because nothing is hidden to the user. If you hit a problem, someone on the Internet usually has a fix for it.