Yes – it’s the Tesla S 70 D. new car – 4 wheel drive, 240 miles range. Retail is $80k before tricks. I have an S corporation and wondering about leasing it. I’m also thinking about renting it out to help pay for it (and justify it as a business expense). I’m looking on this Relay Rides web site and it looks like they are to rental cars what Uber is to taxis. People are getting $300/day to rent Teslas.

I’m just $10k away from paying off my house and I can afford it although this is the most expensive toy I don’t need I ever considered buying by a long shot. But I can’t truly worship Elon without having a Tesla. And it’s in blue, my favorite car color.

Since I went with SolarCity and also built my own tracking solar system I have now pumped 1 megawatt back into the grid. So I have enough electricity credit to drive from San Fran to New York. I also live 2 miles from a Tesla SuperCharger station so I can go get all the free power I want. And I’m just 40 miles from the factory so I could drive it off the assembly line.

1. bobbo, in point of fact says:

How are you going to get back from New York?

• Tim says:

Isn’t New York under water yet?

“”It had been claimed that CW7 is the answer to global warming… leaders that argue that global warming can no longer be ignored. Today, 79 countries will begin dispersing CW7 into the upper layers of the atmosphere… According to scientists, the artificial cooling substance, CW7, will succede in bringing avarage global temperatures down to manageble levels as a revolutionary solution to mankind’s warming of the planet.

Snowpiercer

No, wait. What was the question? I would like one of those vehicles myself — Maybe you could just rent one from Solar City for $300 a day? Naa, 80k would only cover 266.66666667 days; You’d still have no Tesla to drive to Hillary’s ordination.

Man, I wish I was in a position to own one and rent it out. And I would definately rent one over the unintended-accelleration Prius. That sounds like a great idea but what do the insurance companies want for you to do that? Probably, $300 a day.

• bobbo, hybnotized thru the looking glass says:

End of the World………………and these are the “lucky” survivors?……… Well, isn’t that special?

cw7 doesn’t show up in a quick google except in that movie. That is an interesting question/issue to me. Well known science guy (can’t recall name just now) said yesterday on tv in his new book that “if we don’t act this year, our future is dismal…” ie…that this year will be the “tipping point” for catastrophic failure some decades from now as the accumulation of co2 takes it effect.

So……what will we hoomans do when there is “political consensus” on this established scientific fact? I can see that pollution the high atmosphere with a reflectant particle could well change the physics over 1-2-3 years…perhaps even in time to reverse course????

All with lots of strife…not matter what we do…people will benefit and others will die…based on decisions being made now and later.

Well……………..we almost made it.

• Tim says:

I’d recommend that movie; I thought it was very good. But, it is violent. It is extremely disturbing. The excrutiating visuals and plot back-reveals(?? aftshadowing??) are likely to twist up more than just your avarage squeemish gut. Oops, ‘fix’ a warming planet and get a frozen planet with a madman at the helm. This is a cogent cautionary dystopic hinged on the motives of those with ability to ‘fix’ their world to their liking.

I think you, bobbo, would enjoy the portrayal of societal ‘caste’ as the cars on a train from the “tail to the head, everyone in their place”; One does end up enjoying the evil rich sliced and diced as well as being made to eat their own mystery meat.

• bobbo, hybnotized thru the looking glass says:

“Very good?”….I was just making a list of my favorite movies.

End of times/disaster movies, movies where the evil do’ers get their just deserts are always high on my list.

I will seek out this movie and expect/hope it is watchable………..but it is suspect if by your description alone. “Realisitically” I don’t image Climate Disasters to be reversed and then overshot within one lifeetime? And the idea of “a person” being responsible kinda misses the whole point of the challenge in front of us humans.

In the main, the challenge of climate change directly relates to “over population” more specifically to the energy use of that over population.

There are technical fixes but they aren’t being pushed when too many can’t think past their quarterly returns.

Saw a show on “Ferrock” which is a carbon NEGATIVE system, a term not previously noticed, to actually take co2 out of the air to make a product 5 times more strong than standard concrete by combining co2, water, ferrous oxide and something else in a process that is done without heat as well. If this stuff is anywhere near as described, I see that as a real future solution to our co2 hazard.

Its not that there aren’t solutions, but rather that the solutions will be implemented too late to save our civilization. The anaology being turning a big heavy ship. All you have to do is turn the rudder…….. but it takes time.

Time we don’t have.

• Tim says:

“”All you have to do is turn the rudder

Do things on rails have rudders? And by ‘fix’ I mean to hold static in perpetual unchangeness. Just watch the dang thing, already.

• Mr Diesel says:

I was watching The Five one afternoon on Fox and Greg Gutfeld recommended Snowpiercer. I was pleasantly surprised and I loved the very last scene. My favorite land mammal.

Marc, You should buy one for the squirrel as he will think you are nuts.

2. Marc Perkel says:

I guess I’ll have to wait for my second megawatt hour to be generated. 🙂

3. Boo says:

Corporations are people so get two. One for you and another for the corporation.

“Own two of everything” Ad for an old used Caddy and another for parts.

Your big problem might be getting water soon. Maybe we’ll have WateRx and you will buy water at the drug store. They have Uber for pot deliveries. Stay on the couch stoned. Nevada is putting up $190K for each job at the new battery plant. Sell jobs for $100K and pocket $90K in government debt for saving money.

4. Boo says:

The gamble on Tesla’s gigafactory is a big one — in many fashions

. from the LA Times. · Exide plant will pay for blood tests for residents [LA Times] … Eight-Bedroom Disaster Mansion Drops Price to $190K.

Get a mansion too! If your neighbor is a corporation you might of been poisoned. Poison a neighboring state. Sell water testing kits for profit if the jobs gimmick doesn’t pan out.

• Marc Perkel says:

I live in California. Every house is like buying a mansion.

• Boo says:

Amazon will be able to send supplies with drones cheaper than parcel trucks on land.

• Marc Perkel says:

Actually I think the gigafactory is Elon’s safest bet. If some other car company outsells him they are going to need to buy a lot of batteries.

• Boo says:

Freedom Ship is a floating city project initially proposed in the late 1990s.[1] It was so named because of the “free” international lifestyle facilitated by a mobile ocean colony, though the project would not be a conventional ship, but rather a series of linked barges.

The Freedom Ship project envisions a 1,317m (0.818 miles)-long integrated city[2] with condominium housing for 50,000 people,[2] an airstrip to accommodate turboprop aircraft, duty-free shopping and other facilities, large enough to require rapid transit. The complex would circumnavigate the globe continuously, stopping regularly at ports of call

They’re crashing rockets into barges to develop land based systems. We need seacraft.

• Tom says:

Problem is, the type of batteries he is planning to manufacture and which are used by Tesla are not used by any other EV or PHEV company…

5. Boo says:

Law degrees for sale: http://thirdtierreality.blogspot.com/2010/06/overflowing-obsure-toilet-barry.html

If a Nevada job is worth $190K a law degree is worth at least ten times that. For $1.9M you can make contracts and bleed the serfs. Utah using 5 cent bullets to save on power from electric chairs and injection drugs. NSA data center overflowing with email. All the Cubans are moving back to Cuba with Florida law degrees.

6. Pissamissic says:

Ya. Go ahead! Get one. It’s not like it was ever your money in the first place. And it’s not like the over-taxed public don’t want to continue funding more stupid antics of the rich (like Mr. Musks’ Rocket fun). We know you old guys can’t get a stiffie any more and is why you need to buy crap that accelerates towards light speeds at the press of your foot (it’s not like your junk can do it at the sight of a pretty woman). So go ahead and reward him. Just make sure you take a jar of K-Y jelly or at lease some Vaseline when you go to the dealer.

… I’m reminded of a famous saying here (and I’m sure you can’t guess why), “Fools and their money are soon parted.”

7. Faker says:

No, absolutely not. Do not go in to dept to get a car, ever. Become financially independent then do what you want, not before.

8. B. Dog says:

Yes, of course.

9. Rentals aren’t given the respect they deserve, expect additional expenses re wear tear and general abuse. I’d check what the margin is used by successful rental agencies before jumping in myself, that should be your floor given they may have economies you don’t.

• If you can’t charge 10-20% more than others, then I wouldn’t do it. Its unlikely you can beat their price and be profitable.

• MikeN says:

He isn’t renting it himself. He is using the company to rent it out for him. They give out free parking at a few airports and rent out your car while your gone.

10. Re Uber: It transfers vehicle cost to the drivers and virtually eliminates human dispatch = low overhead.

So evidently you are referring to class, not their business model. Uber is working on driverless cars, then cost per ride will spell the end to taxis in any big city.

Cabbie (Ernest Borgnine) won’t be transporting Snake Plissken, it will be a “Johnny Cab”

11. Egon Ruuda says:

Why not, it is so highly subsidized with taxpayer money that you would be a fool not to buy it.

12. Boo says:

With the water gone, parts of California are sinking at the rate of one foot a year. You can’t build enough electric cars or solar panels to make it survivable. Space is too expensive.

“Right now there is no open space for experimenting with new societies,” explains the Seasteading Institute’s chairman Patri Friedman. “Currently, it is very difficult to experiment with alternative social systems on a small scale.

“Countries are so enormous that it is hard for an individual to make much difference. The world needs a place where those who wish to experiment with building new societies can go to test out their ideas. All land on Earth is already claimed, making the oceans humanity’s next frontier.”

13. WmDE says:

Buy two.

Drive one to charging station while the other is running your house.

Who needs solar when Elon provides free electricity?

14. noname says:

Why, Why are you asking US???

I thought you were a mature HUMANIST adult capable of acquiring; collecting, developing your own evidence based research and making up your own mind based on facts and not others opinions?

1.) Where am I wrong?
    2.) You’re not mature?
    3.) You’re not a HUMANIST?
    4.) You’re not an Adult?
    5.) You’re not capable of acquiring, collecting, developing your own evidence based research?
    6.) You’re not capable of making up your own mind?

7.) You’re not capable of …?

15. MikeN says:

Not until Elon rolls out the fast battery swap station, for which he collected $100 million from California.

• MikeN says:

Is it possible to bring a private lawsuit, or place him under citizen’s arrest for fraud?

• noname says:

MikeN don’t be such a brown stain and answer your own question, try it! Let us know how it goes.

16. Rich says:

At first blush I’d say any electric vehicle (especially a Tesla) is a toy and novel and NOT something you will want for any length of time. I can imagine you purchasing or leasing this beast and having the novelty wear off in a month, with the commitment lasting much longer.

17. Comman Sense says:

“Fast battery swap station” what a joke… Any four pump gas station in the country can easily handle a couple hundred cars a day. How many spare batteries can a station hold? You really think Amazon is going to deliver these batteries to the stations with drones? These cars will only work if there are in the minority, maybe 1 of every 100 on the road.
    Stop worshiping Elon, he is just another douchebag using our tax dollars to play with instead of doing something good.

• Tom says:

Perhaps Common Sense should practice a little more of his moniker… The batteries that are swapped out would be fast charged (like the Super Charger stations) and then ready to go in to another vehicle in about 30 minutes… So, all that is needed is a relatively small buffer of batteries…

18. QQQQBall says:

Going into debt to buy a depreciating item (not asset). People are stupid. Really, really stupid.

19. Jeremiah's Johnson says:

How do you fit 4 adults, two 50qt coolers of beer and a weeks worth of camping gear into that?

20. Give me an old reliable VW beater bug or a real American made heavy duty Chevy

Bad Behavior has blocked 18807 access attempts in the last 7 days.