I’m going back to DOS.

1. SnapTech says:

I like LockerGnome’s mature perspective that a system’s strengths are usually its greatest weaknesses. Both Apple and Microsoft present a good out of the box experience to users, so they will both continue. Microsoft is emulating Apple somewhat, being very hush-hush on most things; they know that it is acceptable to lose a certain percentage of users in the move to a sealed environment, since the remaining users will drive them to record profits with their new 30% slice of the pie for all apps and media. Some people here commented that everyone they knew that adopted Linux a couple decades ago has left it; I’m only now preparing to move to Linux from Windows because I consider it mature enough at this point. What’s really driving me away from Windows is that MS has embraced the “sealed environment” where apps need to be installed via their Market Place, and I dislike that level of control. Plus, I want a power-user desktop experience and MS is pushing a pretty odd desktop with the advent of Win8; if only they had allowed true desktop customizability, but no — they are going the Apple route, make no mistake about it. They envy Apple’s profits. They will emulate Apple to a frightening degree, as the years roll on. The guard at MS has changed, and whatever they roll out next is anyone’s guess. Businesses like to be able to depend on something consistent, and this has always worked in the favor of Microsoft — BUT NO MORE. I think their crazy moves are going to help Linux. A LOT.

• JMiles says:

No offense, but you lose a lot of credibility if you mention LockerGnome as one of your “reliable” resources and mind you, I’m saying this as a systems engineer for almost 26 years for a large multinational.

2. Fabrizio says:

Hello.
    I respect MS Windows a lot, because it started the real ¨standarization¨ of many uncompatible O/S for the desktop PC existing in the 80´s and 90´s. (Remember Amiga, Commodore, PCM and so on?). I´m a user of Windows for his user friendliness and LOTS of DRIVERS for just anything. But… let´s aknowledge that Windows has many ¨backdoors¨ that Linux (as a good UNIX-like O/S) has not… Linux has security built-in in the kernel itself. But Linux was not user-friendly until the advent of Distros like Ubuntu or Mint, that are cheap (in fact: free), with almost any drivers in the kernel and are a lot user-friendly than older Linux(es). So I guess that in the future a lot of peeople (like me) will be using both O/S. And many will migrate to Linux because it is free and secure. Thanks.

• JMiles says:

“And many will migrate to Linux because it is free and secure. Thanks.”

No they wont. Most people that leave Windows buy a $1,500 Mac, which only confirms that “free” is not enough to lure people to Linux. As for security; most people don’t care, because Windows 7 and especially 8 have become so secure, that only talented hackers could bypass its security and that raises the question why a talented hacker would target the average John and Jane with so many other and better opportunities.

Secondly, how many people who use a tablet have expressed publicly that they care about security? Indeed, very few….it only shows that also “security” is not something that will lure enough people to Linux.

Linux is too late as a desktop OS. Windows 98, ME….they were unstable, slow, insecure, difficult to use…that’s when Linux had its opportunity, but it failed to take it.

• Kyle says:

They won’t target John and Jane. Only government agents would with false flags or people from other countries who hate the foundations of the USA.

• Kyle says:

After Dad spending a lot of hell on Mom’s computer (Which used to be my own until I got a better one) using Umbutu mainly trying to get Virtual Box to work Dad finally re installed XP but it’s going to be offline.

Please read my story below if you are intrested in further details. I experience anxiety attacks from time to time and am going thru one now so I gotta go!

3. SnapTech says:

Update: Linux desktop is not ready for the average impatient person at this point. I spent an entire week experimenting with three Linux distros: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Linux Mint KDE. The desktop experience has made huge gains the last couple of years, but the KDE & Unity desktops need a bit of refinement still. I’m glad for every kick in the pants both Linux and Apple are doing to Microsoft, to get them improving. I can’t wait to see Canonical’s new desktop they come out with when it is ready a couple years down the road. I initially felt I was punched in the eyes by Win8′s latest “madness”, but overall Win8 is installing and functioning more solidly and efficient than ever. In Win8 MS moved the graphics driver to kernel level to make it operate faster (like Apple did), and the unified print driver works like a charm. It’s nice having several fine choices.

4. VeritechFS says:

I agree that Linux is not exactly great for the mainsteam Enterprise user, but it has come along way from the isolated Computer Engineer user only aspect. SnapTech, the users you mention are virtually of the same family of distros. Have your tried Fedora 18, DSL, SolusOS, Puppy Linux, Debian, Mandriva, Parsix, Arch Linux, Gentoo, etc? The list goes on. I”m a noob and I have had very little problem with Ubuntu & Mint, successfully manually setup Arch Linux, and had not issues at all with SolusOS. I went through all these becuase Win8 on an HP ENVY dv7 7243cl is not practical. Keep in mind that Microsoft donates money into the Linux community for a purpose of it’s own.

5. ritwick says:

Well these are some of the reasons why i dislike linux too, especially the fact that some people like it for no particular genuine reason and some citing reasons like customizablility, security, etc. To me windows is the best with a fantastic user experience and everything’s compatible.

6. Kyle says:

To make a very long story short MS did some things that wrecked my parents computers.

Now forst of all:
    Please forgive me of my bad grammar but I have autism and suck at linking events together and almost failed in English because of that but I am trying my best so bear with me.

Mom’s Windows XP computer had two updates in February that wouldn’t do anything and they got rid of the option to hide it as Dad taught her how to do it and was shocked you couldn’t hide it and then Microsoft pulled the plug on support further screwing her.

Now my parents have two computers.
    One in the den that Mom uses and the living room one which the living room one has Win 7 and Mom’s has XP. Mom’s computer which is 10 years old used to be mine until I got a newer one that runs faster.

So anyways: Microsoft rudely stopped supporting windows XP meaning no protection for Mom period. None, zippo!

I’ll post more in my next post to make it not look like a huge wall of text.

7. Kyle says:

The first two weekends of Feb was spent waiting for the disc which was asinine slow to arrive.

Then it finally arrived but Dad found out that Mom’s computer which used to be my old one is a 64 bit one and we always thought it was 32 bit so Dad first tried putting the 32 bit Linux and couldn’t figure out why it was running so damn slow.

It took 6 hours to load and takes 10 minutes to do one thing so he tried several settings and help support before one night after *sleeping on the problem* realized Mom’s computer is a 64 bit one. Not a 32 bit machine.

I’ll post more if anybody is interested as I just realized I don’t want to waste anybody’s time.

8. Kyle says:

Let’s just say the last month sucked so bad I’ve been tempted to kill myself because I have been so depressed I could hardly think or do anything.

• Kylesux says:

Keep up with the times they stop xp because it was old wake up and buy 7/8 i don’t blame them to stop supporting xp because it is almost dead we are into more advanced systems

• Darnell m. johnson says:

Hail Kyle,

How are you? Thanks for sharing your story. I hope all is getting better in time. Over time I believe you can overcome, and control your anxieties, it will take time, but you will have plenty.

As for Linux, im moving to it soon to try it out as a testbed, we’ll see how it goes, wish me luck.

~Be well.

9. emp says:

Let me know when Windows kicks linux in the pants. I’ve been using Linux and Microsoft products since windows 95 (cringe) and red hat 5.2 (nightmares). Windows 95 worked after some hiccups, after 7 months of struggle I gave up on redhat and came back years later at red hat 7. I still use linux as a test system and it has its good points but to install it and maintain it takes 3 years of study. Too complex for the average user. I’m an IT consultant with 15 years in the industry. Linux is great for specialized services, but as a mainstream system (no games, no simple user interface, way too much conflicting advice from 750 million different user for 750 billion problems…) it doesn’t cut it. Microsloth won that race coz they standardized the platform and made a complicated system usable for the average person. (as did IBM with the ibm compatible pc). This linux desktop distro phase hasn’t changed or in any way made the underlying technology any easier to use. (sudo apt get-pinhead-install-what-fail kernel-mod-2.6.2.54 nvidia-286.14 tarball tz failed coz you missed a (-) somewhere in there). Please go back and study 78 different opinions on how to install a tarball. Maybe point and click works.??? Unfortunately Linux hasn’t clued onto that yet. It’s a shame as I love Linux but its a love/hate relationship. Microsloth cut through the clutter and freed up the desktop user/ Linux wants to clutter up the user but free the desktop. Full respect to both parties and all user. Sign out.

10. emp says:

P.S. I’m thinking of you Kyle. I get some of that nasty depression stuff too. When it gets real bad for me I go and pull weeds and pick veges from the garden. I used to bash dead computers but I broke a few toes doing that. OUCHY!!!

11. Daniel Thorson says:

I like to try out different Linux distros sometimes. And by doing so, I like to see how much Linux improved as years went by. My latest experience included the “acclaimed” Linux Mint KDE 64 bits. Downloaded it for free, straight from the official source, burned the Live CD version and rebooted my PC. Everything worked fine and I was surprised to notice that I had NO WiFi problems and my Bluetooth hardware was identified without a glitch. I tested this version for a little more than one hour and decided to install it side by side with my Windows 7 (dual boot). HUGE mistake! I had forgotten how inconsistent with the Live CD an “install to HD” a Linux distro can be. I still remember trying an Ubuntu version out (Live CD) some three years ago and making sure everything was working fine only to notice (after complete installation to HD) that my wireless card had mysteriously disappeared (despite the fact that it was running fine in my live CD session). This time, with Mint, wireless card worked fine, bluetooth worked fine, printer, all peripherals, etc. No problem! Until I decided to install it. I had a very hard time getting everything to work and bluetooth had to be either ON all the time or OFF. I mean, whenever I tried turning it OFF, it would stay that way until I manually removed drivers and reinstalled them to turn it off. Not to mention the HUGE problem I had with repositories. I saw myself spending an hour looking for a solution (which is, by the way, more common than one could imagine) or so typing huge terminal commands to edit system files just to get my UPDATE up and running normally. Needless to say, my computer is not even one year old yet. Finally, because I had a failed Mint version in my system, now dual boot, I had to reformat partitions and fix MBR with a VERY SIMPLE CMD command and, in no time at all, I got rid of such a sucky OS. It’s funny that quite a number of Linux distros are so proud of that LIVE CD thing, but what’s the point if it shows your computer working 100% and when you decide to keep it (by permanently installing it) there’s so much you have to do to fix faulty hardware and incompatibility issues that you’ll see yourself spending the night trying an workaround for everything only to realize it’s just not worth it. Then, after that, I decided to reformat and test my 4 year old Dell Inspiron and give it my Windows 7 Ultimate. Everything, I repeat, EVERYTHING worked just fine and my computer had not even gone through the first update yet. Wireless, printer (installation needed to connect to the internet once to download drivers), SSD, etc. But I promise I’ll keep trying. I won’t quit Linux that easily…

• emp says:

Well, I tried again which proves that I am a rampant imbecile for even thinking anything in the world of linux would improve. I installed the latest linux mint in a VM and it worked fine. Internet was fine, networking, shared folders, printing and wireless keyboard. As such I dual booted it with Windows 7 and as soon as it was installed I was prompted to update the system. I ran the update program.

That was it, the update failed to run properly, crashed Xserver and collapsed the whole system. After rewriting the mbr I managed to get back into Windows and have a functioning computer again.

I have been trying linux for over 10 years now and just like the first time I tried it (redhat 5.2), something goes wrong. Linux reminds me of politicians: promise the world but deliver a 10 year old atlas.

I spent 3 hours crawling the web for someway to fix the update and get Xserver going again but everything just gave another failure followed by some insane cryptic error that means absolutely nothing. Typing the error message into google gives me 15 million results each with a different solution depending on the lunar phase. I couldn’t be bothered anymore. sudo apt-get f^#ked in my opinion. If after 40 odd years of developing this OS they still can’t get it to work than I figure they never will.

The next person to waffle on about how great linux is deserves to be decapitated and have a septic tank dumped down their neck. Perhaps that’s why the rant about linux’s brilliance; because they’re full of sh*t.

I have deleted over 40 gigs of linux user documents, manuals and iso images accumulated over 10 years. This same issue was around in redhat 5.2 and its still around in fedora, ubuntu and linux mint. I’m done with this linux garbage. I’d rather stick my head in a meat grinder than bang my head against linux’s ineptitude.

sudo apt-get fu%ked.